Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
MichaelKaufman
MichaelKaufman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Two TOCs after "Export for Kindle" from InDesign. Help!

1. I created a mobi file by "Exporting for Kindle" from CS5.5. I've tried doing it two ways, each with a problem in relation to the TOC:

2. When I export, in the general export menu, I check "Include InDesign TOC". But then I end up with two TOCs at the beginning of the Mobi file. One is the page I actually have in the file as a TOC -- nicely formatted, etc. Before that, it has inserted the Navigational TOC (with words formatted the same as in the book, which in this case, looks awful.)

3. When I export without clicking that, it looks great. Only one TOC (the one that was in my CD5.5 file all nicely formatted and working properly.) The problem is there is no Navigational TOC. So in the Kindle, when I press "Menu: Go To" there is nothing for Table of Contents.

4. When I open other books on my Kindle, and press "Menu:Go To" it takes me to their nicely designed TOC at the beginning.

I would greatly appreciate your help!
MichaelKaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
MichaelKaufman
MichaelKaufman began at the beginning.

Device: none
Problem solved

It's not elegant, but here's what I did so I didn't have 2 TOCs at the beginning:
- converted the mobi to epub using Calibre. Cracked open the epub
- opened the first html file (where the awful looking TOC was) and simply erased all the content
- rezipped. Converted the epub back to mobi in Calibre
MichaelKaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
mobi conversion, mobi format, toc