Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-27-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
mousy courage
mousy courage began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo (non-wifi)
firmware question

I got a kobo (the older version, with the blue button) this past christmas and I was able to just use calibre and side-loading to organize my library so I didn't bother with the desktop app or ADE (plus my mac is too old and won't support either). When I came back to this forum (too busy reading lol) I realized that many different firmware updates had passed me by.

My question: is it recommendable to update the firmware (I need the desktop app for that right?)? Would I have any issues given that my current firmware is so old (1.4)?
mousy courage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #2
jayupark
Enthusiast
jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.jayupark is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle 3G, Kobo wifi
I would definitely update the firmware. Go to www.kobobooks.com/desktop and get the latest version of the desktop software. Install it, then sync. If it does not update your firmware on the first try, don't worry. Just keep syncing till it does.

If it erases all your books off the device, it's no biggy right? (since you have everything on Calibre)
jayupark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2011, 02:09 AM   #3
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
I'd upgrade - I don't use the desktop app either but the latest firmware does offer some features that will make your reading experience easier, such as the ability to hide the preloaded books, set the power off/sleep behaviour, battery life improvement and a few others. It is much easier to do than the first firmware update as well. Give it a go - I'm sure you won't regret it (she says hopefully!)

To upgrade follow the instructions in this thread - the first post has everything you need to know:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=111310

And of course, you will need to download the app from kobo to your PC first if you don't already have it.

Last edited by kiwipippa; 03-28-2011 at 02:10 AM. Reason: added requirement to download app
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware