Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
Patricia Ryan
Connoisseur
Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle, iPad
Hi from Patricia Ryan/P.B. Ryan

Hi, all...

I'm happy to join you here! I've been reading ebooks on my Sony 505 for ages, and I recently downloaded Kindle for PC onto my netbook, as well. I LOVE everything about digital publishing, especially being able to travel without lugging around 50 pounds of books.

In addition to being a readaholic, I'm also a novelist with a dozen backlist titles I've gotten the rights back to (medieval romances and 19th century mysteries) newly published for $2.99 on Smashwords and Kindle--which is how I found out about this forum, from a Google alert that someone had posted here about my books. I wish I'd discovered it sooner. It looks great.

Question: I'm not usually so dense about these things, but how do I create a signature for my posts? If it's an option in the Control Panel, I don't see it.

Looking forward to chatting with you all...

Pat
patricia-ryan.com
Patricia Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread.

As far as the signature line is concerned you need at least 10 posts and a week since registration ..... but don't let that hold you back in the meantime !!!!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Patricia Ryan
Connoisseur
Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!Patricia Ryan rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post

Welcome to mobileread.

As far as the signature line is concerned you need at least 10 posts and a week since registration ..... but don't let that hold you back in the meantime !!!!
Ah, thanks, Geoff! I was worried that I'd suddenly become technologically incapacitated. I'll just be patient.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia Ryan View Post
Ah, thanks, Geoff! I was worried that I'd suddenly become technologically incapacitated. I'll just be patient.

Patience is a virtue, I'm told - just think, that's another post towards your total ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Pat and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:31 AM   #6
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Hi and welcome. I bought the book after someone posted here, so I will let you know how it goes I really appreciate authors, especially established ones, who embrace the digital age and do not put up barriers to people getting the books. I had some issues recently where some books I had bought in the past were not available from that store anymore, and I had a hard drive crash and they would not let me re-download, so now I try to buy more often from places like Smashwords that treat paying customers like me more fairly.

I'd love to hear some recommendations for other books you read. I am always looking to expand my TBR pile.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
Patricia Ryan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Hi and welcome. I bought the book after someone posted here, so I will let you know how it goes I really appreciate authors, especially established ones, who embrace the digital age and do not put up barriers to people getting the books. I had some issues recently where some books I had bought in the past were not available from that store anymore, and I had a hard drive crash and they would not let me re-download, so now I try to buy more often from places like Smashwords that treat paying customers like me more fairly.

I'd love to hear some recommendations for other books you read. I am always looking to expand my TBR pile.
Hi, and thanks for the welcome--and for buying my book, of course! I, for one, have no problem embracing the digital age, which, in the two weeks since my books went up on Smashwords and Kindle, has been very, very good to me. I'm delighted to be able to offer these books at a price guaranteed to expand my readership. I'm pretty sure that when other authors realize how smart it is to self-publish their backlist for reasonable prices, there will be lots more great ebooks to choose from.

As an author, I've found Smashwords very fair and transparent to deal with, and as a customer, I've found it easy to download--and re-download--books. Same with Kindle, really. I love Kindle for PC! I've got it on my little Lenovo netbook, so when there's a title I want that I can't get from Sony, I can buy it as a Kindle book now.

I posted some recommendations on another one of the threads here. I'm reading Justin Cronin's The Passage right now, which is the ultimate fabulous summer read. My most recent romance reads were a couple of old Susan Phillips titles and Emma Holly's Beyond Seduction. For mystery and suspense, I'm into Lee Child, Dennis Lehane, and Harlan Coben lately. Oh! And the brilliant, brilliant Tana French, who has a new book out this month. And Chelsea Cain. Oh, god, don't get me started...
Old 07-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Hya, PAt. Great to have your company. And good luck with the backlist (isn't PoD and ebook a grand parachute when a publisher can't be bothered?). Very best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:16 PM   #10
Patricia Ryan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
(isn't PoD and ebook a grand parachute when a publisher can't be bothered
Absolutley! If it's already been traditionally published, as my books have, other traditional publishers aren't generally interested in bringing them out again. E-publishers are, but when I looked into how long they keep the rights, what they're paying, etc. etc., I decided self-publishing was the way to go, and it would appear I made the right decision. Lots of sales and blog buzz, and I didn't do anything but send out an e-newsletter to my mailing list. Really, this is the wave of the future. Within the next year, I'm sure lots of authors will be publishing their backlist this way--which is good news for all us readers who love great books at cheap prices!
Old 07-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #11
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
Hi Patricia,

I bought 6 of your books 10th July. Since Geographic Restrictions I have been unable to buy most of the books on places like BooksOnBoard.

I'm now spending a lot of my book money on Smashwords. I'm really grateful to authors like you who treat readers fairly.

I'm looking forward to reading your books. Right now I have Hugo nominees to finish before the voting deadline.
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #12
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia Ryan View Post
which is good news for all us readers who love great books at cheap prices!
I think for me---and this is the point I think it is vital for authors to understand, and most don't yet---it is not about 'cheap' prices, so much as it is about fair prices, and fair treatment. For example, with my hard drive crash where I could not re-download the handful of books which had escaped backup. I had bought and paid for these. I am the good customer. I did not pirate them or whatever. But the store was very unsympathetic and just sent me a form email saying there was nothing they could do.

Similarly, with backlist books. Some Stephen King books I was interested in were selling in ebook for a hardback price, and these were a decade and a half old! I understand charging more for a new release to capitalize on the interest and earn back the costs of developing that book, but some of these books were from the 80s! If they are trying to do a snow job on me, that gets my hackles up.

I am not out to deprive authors of a fair price for their work. I respect what they they do. But I am not stupid either More and more lately, I am giving my money to people who understand that and offer a fair price and respectful treatment. I really don't think the vast majority of people will 'pirate' when treated this way. iTunes has proven that people will pay if it's easy and convenient for them to do so!

What I like about authors re-publishing their backlists is that I can go the 'indie' route as it were, but still get quality, proven books. Sometimes at Smashwords, it starts to feel like the world's biggest slushpile It's nice to have more authors putting their stuff out in customer-friendly ways who ARE proven successes.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #13
Patricia Ryan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laine View Post
Hi Patricia,

I bought 6 of your books 10th July. Since Geographic Restrictions I have been unable to buy most of the books on places like BooksOnBoard.

I'm now spending a lot of my book money on Smashwords. I'm really grateful to authors like you who treat readers fairly.

I'm looking forward to reading your books. Right now I have Hugo nominees to finish before the voting deadline.
Laine, thanks so much for your purchase! I know what it's like to have a pile of contest books to judge. I'd love to hear your reaction to the books when you get a chance to read them.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Hello Patricia and welcome to MobileRead!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #15
Patricia Ryan
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I think for me---and this is the point I think it is vital for authors to understand, and most don't yet---it is not about 'cheap' prices, so much as it is about fair prices, and fair treatment....
Wow, that's a really good post, and you articulate some great points. Book piracy is a big problem right now, so honest customers who are willing to pay a fair price are more valuable than ever to authors and publishers. Respect goes both ways. Everyone knows it costs less to digitally republish a previously published book than it does to publish one from scratch, either traditionally or electronically. There can be costs involved--scanning and converting older titles, cover art--but with a digital reprint, there's no editing or marketing staff to pay, no manufacturing or physical distribution. I actually worked in the publishing industry when I lived in NYC years ago, and I can tell you the profit margin for traditional books is pretty freakin slim. So charging the same amount of money for a digital reprint as for a newly published book... how can that not feel like a rip-off?

I'm not saying other authors republishing their backlist need to price their work at $2.99, like me. I'm trying to introduce my books to new readers and build my audience. But I do think we need to be realistic.

LOL about Smashwords being the world's biggest slush pile. There are pros and cons to that. It can be like a treasure hunt, but having read a lot of e-originals, well, it's also a crap shoot. That's why I like samples and excerpts.

Pat
patricia-ryan.com