Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-16-2015, 07:54 PM   #136
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Unfortunately, kiwidude doesn't have much time to devote to updating the plugins. If someone wants to fix something, or add function, he will look at them and release them if he feels they are appropriate to the plugin.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:00 PM   #137
DreamStatic
Enthusiast
DreamStatic began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad, computer
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
DreamStatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2015, 01:28 PM   #138
yonkyunior
Cultivator
yonkyunior doesn't litteryonkyunior doesn't litteryonkyunior doesn't litter

Device: PRST2
How to trigger it? BUG?

Sorry to bother anyone with this stupid question,
but i dont have a clue about it, the plugin was successfully installed in my 2.40 Calibre, But i dont recognize it in toolbar, optional toolbar, context menu..
how to use it when i dont see the button and trigger the wizard window?

In Plugins
Uuser Interface Actions Plugins the Import List was there.
but the button or anything to trigger dont showing up.

i checked a dozens of time, is this a bug?
yonkyunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 01:36 PM   #139
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Not a bug

You just need to tell Calibre where you want the Icon

Preference: Toolbar: <select>: find PI icon on Left, use middle arrow button to move to right: move up as desired

Repeat for each toolbar to taste
IMHO it does not make much sense for this one on a 'When connected' toolbar)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:14 AM   #140
canpolat
Connoisseur
canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Xodo
Question

Earlier today, I added a plugin idea (link), but then when thinking about BetterRed's response and possible solutions, I did some more searching an found this plugin. Let me copy-paste the scenario to save you the click:
  1. I export my Calibre library (not the books, only the data stored at Calibre database) and send it to my friend.
  2. She imports that library as a separate book-less library. Then she starts working on fixing the tags, genres, etc.
  3. Once she is ready with fixing, she exports the library and sends it back to me.
  4. When I get the library and importing the differences to my existing library. The plugin prompts me with changes and I accept them (or deny some of them) and the merging happens.
  5. The books with changed metadata are marked in Calibre so that I can work on them (embed metadata, etc.)

It looks like Import List has most of the underlying functionality implemented so I thought maybe I could suggest an extension. Here is my idea:

When importing from a CSV file, Import List asks which column corresponds to which field and then if the books are not found in the library, the user must select them create empty books for them. If Import List also had an export function where the user can select which fields to export, and create a zip file with a CSV file and the related configuration file in it, this could turn out to be the best (only?) export/import library solution for Calibre.

Export would create these two files (CSV and a configuration which describes which columns of the CSV correspond to which fields in Calibe, and possibly some other options), zip them and possibly change the extension to something specific.
Import would have check boxes to: import and overwrite all local data, import but manually merge every single change (also pick which fields to merge).

What do you think?

Last edited by canpolat; 01-23-2016 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Typo
canpolat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2016, 08:32 AM   #141
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yes, I thought of Import List and CSV's about the same time as yourself - see other thread.

The author of Import List is inactive, so you probably need to find someone who is willing to tackle changing the plugin - and guaranteeing it will still work for all those who are currently using it.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:35 AM   #142
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
If you want to export the metadata from the calibre library, you can create a catalog. Right-click on the conversion button and choose the catalog option.

For the import, I'm reasonable certain you have described how the import list works. It can create books if there are no matches, and there is some review function. My use of it has been very basic, so I can't really say exactly how it works.

The best thing you can do is to experiment. Copy your library to another, create a csv file that matches what you want and import it. Once you have played a bit, you can work out if the plugin will work for you, or if it needs changes. And you will be better able to state what the changes needed are.

Having said that, I don't think this is how I would do what you are doing. I would probably just exchange the whole library minus the books. You can easily zip the the library directory but exclude any books. That can be sent to the person doing the maintenance. They can add a tag for the changed books, or you can use the modified date to see what was changed. Merging the changes back is a bit harder. Maybe an export and import at that time is the way to do it. It might be worthwhile looking at DaltonT's plugins. Most of them are about fixing metadata and libraries, so they might help.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:24 AM   #143
canpolat
Connoisseur
canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.canpolat for a long time would go to bed early.

BetterRed, davidfor:Thanks for your replies. I started playing with Import List. The problem I face is: it is taking forever to import 4 fields from ~6500 books. It has been running for around an hour now and the import still did not finish. So, I assume it got stuck. Bad luck!

davidfor: About zipping the library directory... BetterRed also suggested that but I thought it would be more difficult for my friend to work that way. But now that both of you are suggesting the same thing (and Import List is stuck), I think I will reevalute this idea. So this is basically zipping and unzipping metadata_db_prefs_backup.json and metadata.db, isn't it?
Old 01-23-2016, 09:31 AM   #144
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canpolat View Post
BetterRed, davidfor:Thanks for your replies. I started playing with Import List. The problem I face is: it is taking forever to import 4 fields from ~6500 books. It has been running for around an hour now and the import still did not finish. So, I assume it got stuck. Bad luck!

davidfor: About zipping the library directory... BetterRed also suggested that but I thought it would be more difficult for my friend to work that way. But now that both of you are suggesting the same thing (and Import List is stuck), I think I will reevalute this idea. So this is basically zipping and unzipping metadata_db_prefs_backup.json and metadata.db, isn't it?
Prefs_backup is used only to RESTORE a Library structure
Old 01-23-2016, 10:33 AM   #145
canpolat
Connoisseur

It looks like sharing the metadata.db will work. It doesn't seem to have the book covers, but should be good enough. Thank you all for your help.
Old 01-23-2016, 03:26 PM   #146
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I assume you were importing into an empty library cloned from your actual library - yes/no? On what evidence did you make the judgement that Import List PI was 'stuck'?

The process of importing a ~6500 row CSV into an empty database would create thousands of Author and Book folders, ~6500 metdata.opf files in the book folders, and write many more thousands of rows to dozens of tables in the database? Doesn't surprise me that it wasn't finished after an hour.

Quote:
The unexpressed reasons I suggested that you create a 'book-less' copy of your library (i.e. one with no format files) were
  • obviously to reduce the amount of data needing to be transferred to your friend, and less obviously
  • to protect you from breaching the copyright terms of your books, and
  • to make sure your friend was starting out with a recoverable library. Which means the metadata_db_prefs_backup.json would be included in the archive.
A 'bonus' would be that your friend wouldn't be looking at cover-less (boring) library. And the metdata.opfs, which are a recovery source would be in the book folders. And your friend might also be able to source 'better' covers than you already have.

I urge you to create a subset of your library with a couple of hundred books and experiment with that - in the long run it will save you time.

BR
Old 01-23-2016, 03:51 PM   #147
canpolat
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I assume you were importing into an empty library cloned from your actual library - yes/no? On what evidence did you make the judgement that Import List PI was 'stuck'?

The process of importing a ~6500 row CSV into an empty database would create thousands of Author and Book folders, ~6500 metdata.opf files in the book folders, and write many more thousands of rows to dozens of tables in the database? Doesn't surprise me that it wasn't finished after an hour.

The unexpressed reasons I suggested that you create a 'book-less' copy of your library (i.e. one with no format files) were
  • obviously to reduce the amount of data needing to be transferred to your friend, and less obviously
  • to protect you from breaching the copyright terms of your books, and
  • to make sure your friend was starting out with a recoverable library. Which means the metadata_db_prefs_backup.json would be included in the archive.
A 'bonus' would be that your friend wouldn't be looking at cover-less (boring) library. And the metdata.opfs, which are a recovery source would be in the book folders. And your friend might also be able to source 'better' covers than you already have.

I urge you to create a subset of your library with a couple of hundred books and experiment with that - in the long run it will save you time.

BR
Yes, I was cloning a CSV into an empty library. I don't really have any evidence about Import List being stuck (Calibre was unresponsive for an hour or so before I killed it), but I think I don't really get the way Calibre handles this situation. Now that you explain it, I understand all the folders are necessary even though she will be only working on metadata which is stored in the DB file. That basically tells me, perhaps Calibre is not the tool we are looking for. Or, more precisely, we probably need a tool that can work on the calibre DB file without needing to create all those empty folders (seeing the book covers would be nice, but the toll is too high).
Old 01-23-2016, 05:05 PM   #148
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Yes, I was cloning a CSV into an empty library. I don't really have any evidence about Import List being stuck (Calibre was unresponsive for an hour or so before I killed it), but I think I don't really get the way Calibre handles this situation. Now that you explain it, I understand all the folders are necessary even though she will be only working on metadata which is stored in the DB file. That basically tells me, perhaps Calibre is not the tool we are looking for. Or, more precisely, we probably need a tool that can work on the calibre DB file without needing to create all those empty folders (seeing the book covers would be nice, but the toll is too high).
The toll on what?

I just copied 100 hundred books out of one library to an empty one. Each book had 2-4 format files (ePUB, DOCX, PDF etc) the library was 84MB, after removing all the format files it was 5MB - so about 5KB per book, most of which is jpegs which don't compress much. So, I removed the 100 cover.jpg files, the folder was now 1.2MB - which compressed down to 300KB

So again, a toll on what?

None of my 'unexpressed reasons' for recommending you send a book-less library are 'obligatory'.

So yes, your friend could work from a library that started off with only the metadata.db. But as she updates the database, the author and book folders will be created; calibre needs them as the place to write its recovery data - i.e. the metadata.opf file you see in every book folder - which is obligatory. So she will be working with a database that is only partially recoverable.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-23-2016 at 05:08 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:09 PM   #149
theducks
Well trained by Cats

BR's point about folder names changing if either Title or Author get touched.

Depending on your situation and both of your locations:
KISS
Have her remote access your machine and fix things there instead of all the gyrations you might need otherwise (still: BACK UP.BACK UP.BACK UP)
Reasonable performance is had on almost any DSL.

VNC has clients that work across all 3 platforms.

If you have a 'Pro' version of Windows: Remote Desktop connection has clients (free) for many platforms (I have one on my Android Tablet the screen is TINY, but it is there)

PC and Net (LAN) Security are Trust considerations. (Got a older system? Strip it clean of sensitive stuff, Install Calibre there and sneakernet the Library onto it. )
This solution does not count as a LAN/NAS drive the real work is done on the Host PC, not the remote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #150
yonkyunior
Cultivator
yonkyunior doesn't litteryonkyunior doesn't litteryonkyunior doesn't litter

Device: PRST2
is it just me or bug?
i am using it to grab goodreads listopia
when i turns to typing the page 2 of the list
I put the ?Page=2 instead ?page=2 in the end of the url,
but the ?Page=2 turns out to grab the page one instead of page 2 of listopia,

i dont know its the capital letters/uppercase matters in the goodreads for result in importlist plugin, but when i want to change it to lowercase letter..
the history in the dropdown change de lowercase to uppercase. and i can't remove the history of the links that have been inputted.
yonkyunior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
column types