Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 04-11-2012, 06:12 AM   #16
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
And if you spend half an hour to an hour carefully crafting many regexes over and over and stepping through your document multiple times to clean it up ...
That's what I'm doing with Sigil. Sorry, I can not confirm your experience.
mmat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:33 AM   #17
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Then you are either very lucky, or not noticing when it it has gone wrong (which will come as a shock to you when you come to read the book and find entire chapters are missing, or "replace all" hasn't actually replaced all for instance).

I've been using Sigil since something like 0.2.21, and certainly most of the issues I have existed up until and including 0.5.0. The bugs are known and have been reported. As I said meme in particular has done sterling work chipping away at many of them. From what I see on the 0.5.3 thread though there are still outstanding issues with find/replace which is one of the reasons why I am still battling away with 0.4.x - I can't be bothered with the pain of learning yet another regex syntax until the new find/replace is 100% rock solid.

The issues are the worst kind being intermittent and difficult to replicate, they involve variables of threading, Qt components, switching views, merging, HTML tidy and who knows what else. When the planets align in the wrong way it just goes tits up. If you are very lucky you have saved beforehand and notice straight away to revert and try again. If you are unlucky then you start all over again from scratch.

I've edited several thousand books with Sigil over the last year, so I guess you could say I give some of its features a decent workout. However in reality I only do very simple things with it, I take no notice of Flightcrew stuff etc, I just merge, split, find/replace, generate TOC, adjust styles and repair paragraphs. Unfortunately the bugs have me crossing my fingers and toes every time I use it as to whether "this time" will be one of the times it decides to go wrong.
kiwidude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #18
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
"Who can afford to do professional work for nothing? What
hobbyist can put three man-years into programming, finding
all bugs, documenting his product, and distributing it for
free?"

— Bill Gates in his "Open Letter to Hobbyists," 1976.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote