Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 11:41 PM   #16
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
I have a Chumby One. It's a neat little device, especially useful as a Pandora radio. But trust me, a Sony Tablet running the Chumby OS is going to be far less useful than an iPad.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:46 PM   #17
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Very interested to see what Sony and other companies put out to compete with the iPad.
That should be quite obvious. They're going to sell the same products they are selling now...only bigger!
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 04:42 AM   #18
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
sony, toshiba, samsung, etc, they can make amazing tablet hardware, but none of them write the operating system. so until microsoft can get their act together (and they're trying, supposedly) no one is going to be able to pull this off other than apple. no don't point at linux, their efforts, while very well appreciated, are far behind microsoft's.
Sony, at least, do have an OS - the PS3 OS. It's not clear to me that a tablet needs, or is even best suited by, a traditional "desktop" OS (Apple clearly agree, hence iPhone OS on the iPad). Something based around the PS3 OS may well do the job.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:39 AM   #19
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
well, i don't have a ps3, and have never seen one outside of a store, so i can't comment on it's operating system, but i have doubts it would be well suited to a tablet. at least the iPad OS came from a smaller device with similar functions. i'm sure apple is expanding and enhancing it (just look at the pop up contextual menus, those are new and iPad only) but they had 90% of what they needed already there. plus, apple has years of experience with these types of operating systems. sony will still be playing a lot of catch-up.

i love my 600's hardware, it's thin, sturdy, even sexy. but the OS is slightly clunky, not as refined and polished. i wonder what it would have been like had apple designed it.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote