Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-19-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
CVS to carry new e-reader

Lookee:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/19/c...r-this-fall-t/
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #2
hrickh
Enthusiast
hrickh began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800, EeePC 4G Surf
$179 for the ereader? Too much.

R.
==
hrickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 09:11 PM   #3
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrickh View Post
$179 for the ereader? Too much.
Um-- those are $79, not $179. I was at CVS a couple of weeks ago, buying some highly overpriced DVD-Rs during a back-up emergency, and they were on the top shelf on the wall behind the register. I asked the clerk if it was some type of MP3 player (he said that it was) and the price, he scanned it, it came up as $79. I thought it was just a cheap Ipod Touch clone, and assumed that it could be hacked to read ebooks, but he didn't offer to let me read the box, and I didn't ask, because even $79 was more than I was willing to pay for a backlit LCD device. Maybe they were mispriced, maybe they were on sale, but there was no chance I misread the display-- the manager was standing beside the cashier and he guessed $59 before it scanned.

Edit-- looking at the packaging, I don't know if I would have missed seeing it say "book" on the box and showing icons of book covers on the screen, even though I was never closer than several feet from it (I was walking out the door when I noticed them behind the counter and asked about it.) It is possible, I suppose, but at the time I thought that the images on the screen on the device on the box (in the hole in the bottom of the sea) were like Ipod/Iphone/Ipad icons. So I'm not sure about the $79 price. Maybe I saw the reader, and maybe I saw what really was an Ipod clone that looked just about the same on the packaging.

Last edited by ardeegee; 08-19-2010 at 09:23 PM.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:17 PM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
preloaded with 150 books!

I can only imagine
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
hrickh
Enthusiast
hrickh began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia N800, EeePC 4G Surf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Um-- those are $79, not $179.
I've not walked into a CVS in a while, but they're not even supposed to be available until September.

Regardless, $179 is what's pretty much plastered all over every Google link I can find for it.

R.
==
hrickh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just now reading the specs in the ad-- it has 512 gigabytes of internal memory-- enough to hold 350 books!
Old 08-19-2010, 09:32 PM   #7
Ken401
Addict
Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken401 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, PRS-950, PRS-505, Nexus 10, Xoom
I know it says 512GB, but that seems like a misprint. Maybe it should read 512MB?
Ken401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
And you can expand(?) that half terabyte to 8 GB by plugging in an SD card...

Quote:
but that seems like a misprint
Doh! Ya think? Obviously CVS knows what they are selling

Last edited by pholy; 08-19-2010 at 09:36 PM. Reason: He beat me to it..
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:54 PM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken401 View Post
I know it says 512GB, but that seems like a misprint. Maybe it should read 512MB?
Or 512K if it only holds 350 books.

Last edited by carld; 08-19-2010 at 10:00 PM.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:33 PM   #10
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken401 View Post
Yeah, that kind of went without saying. The only way the reader could have 512 GB of flash is if it fell through a time warp from 2015.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:38 PM   #11
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Yeah, that kind of went without saying. The only way the reader could have 512 GB of flash is if it fell through a time warp from 2015.
But that ad looks like it fell through a time warp from 1985.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 02:32 PM   #12
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
agreed.
Reminds me of those Star Wars action figure ads back in the day. [long live Mark Hamil, not so much Christian Hayden!]
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote