Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 08-21-2010, 05:48 AM   #16
sceadugenga
Connoisseur
sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
OK, up and running, after following the instructions of my learned Dutch neighbour I just took the heavier cable off my 250gb external hard drive, which he gave me... ("that is far too small for me now") and used it to connect the iriver and with a little fiddling everything came up. No need for a new USB hub
I then just dragged the book icons from the removable card to the iriver and deleted the books from the card which I will now use.... wait for it... to install MUSIC!!! I will have books and music at the same time... what bliss.
Incidentally, what effect does playing music have on battery life?
sceadugenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:32 AM   #17
MacEachaidh
Browser
MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MacEachaidh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceadugenga View Post
Incidentally, what effect does playing music have on battery life?
Well done, sceadugenga! Good to hear you got it sorted!

(I'm just watching the election results. How depressing - not in a partisan sense, because it's not clear yet who's going to form government - but because I can't believe the election has been about such negative crap and sheer fearmongering, on both sides, and nobody's been able to get into things that actually mattered. And now we'll have a hung parliament, which means more bitter and smug point-scoring, more grandstanding, and nothing being done for the next three years. Sigh!!)

Anyhow. Music and battery life? The battery life is less for playing music than for reading books, because the audio part is a constant continuous drain on the battery, while eInk displays only draw on the battery (in theory!) when the screen needs to be rewritten (at boot, or menu display, or turning the page). The specs for the Story claim 9000 pages from a full battery charge, or 24 hours of music playback, or 5 hours of voice recording.

For what it's worth, I would judge the battery life on my 4-months-old Story as somewhat less than 9000 pages. I try to let it run down completely before recharging it, and then recharge it fully - because some people hold that partial recharges diminish the overall power capacity of the battery - and I find that a charge lasts about 3 weeks, whether I use the Story very much or not.
MacEachaidh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #18
sceadugenga
Connoisseur
sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sceadugenga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I too have been watching the election with dismay from my cave in the mountains west of Chiang Rai.
Once again my decision to lead a hermit like existence, apart from a few trifles like ADSL internet, satellite TV and a suitably nubile female member of the sceadugengan, seems justified.

24 hours of music playback seems fine, I'm planning a lengthy road trip in about 6 weeks so it will come in handy.
Interestingly, my iriver conked out around 18 days after the initial charging, but I suspect it wasn't fully charged.
sceadugenga is offline   Reply With Quote