Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
meem
A Reader who can think..!
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi - Kindle DX (B004)
Kindle DX White Vs. Kindle DX 2 Graphite

Amazon’s July release of the Kindle DX 2 or Kindle DX Graphite marks the 8-month anniversary of the Kindle DX. The new generation Kindle DX doesn’t differ much from its predecessor. It packs most of the features and capabilities of the Kindle DX White. What Amazon improved on in the Kindle DX 2 is readability. At the same time, it reduced the introductory price to $379.
With both the Kindle DX White and Kindle DX Graphite sharing more than 95% of features and capabilities, how do you decide between the two models?

Kindle DX White vs Kindle DX Graphite: Where the Kindle DX 2 Wins

1. Graphite case: Just like the B&N Nook’s dark border, the Kindle DX 2’s graphite case contrasts the DX’s white screen background better. It helps make the dark text look even darker and stand out more against the white background.
2. Higher screen resolution: Both the Kindle DX and Kindle DX 2 sport 1200 x 824 pixel resolution at 150 ppi. Both use 16 shades of gray. The Kindle DX 2, however, is made with 50% higher contrast or 10:1 contrast ratio. That means the Kindle DX Graphite has sharper text and images. Overall, it has better readability.

Kindle DX White vs Kindle DX Graphite: Where Kindle DX White Wins

1. Briefer charge time: It takes only 4 hours to charge the Kindle DX by plugging it into a computer via the included USB 2.0 cable.
The Kindle DX 2 takes 4.5 hours to charge. It’s not clear why the charge time for the Kindle DX 2 increased though.

Kindle DX White vs Kindle DX Graphite: Where they tie

Since Amazon only focused on improving the screen contrast of the Kindle DX 2, you basically get the same features and value propositions, including:
1. Large 4GB memory space: Both the Kindle DX White and Kindle DX Graphite can hold up to 3500 books.

2. Wide display: 9.7-inch display is ideal for viewing PDF files, graphs, and newspapers, magazines.

3. Automatic page orientation: The DX models automatically shift the user’s screen viewing mode.

4. Slim design: With a girth of 0.36 inches, the devices are as thin as any regular magazine.

5. Free global wireless coverage: Whether you’re in the US or abroad, you can enjoy 24/7 wireless access to the Kindle store, wireless downloads, use of basic web browser, and wireless syncing (via Whispersync network).

6. 60-second book downloads: You can download purchased books from the Kindle Store in less than 60 seconds.

7. Long battery life: A single charge gives you two weeks of reading with wireless off or a week with wireless on.

8. Wide range of content. The Kindle Store now offers 620,000 collection of ebooks
(including 109 of the 112 New York Times bestsellers), magazines, newspapers, and blogs.

9. Cheaper book prices. Most bestsellers and new releases under the non-agency model at the Kindle Store are priced $9.99.

Also available on both devices are the Kindle 2.5 upgrade features:
1. Social networking: You can share book passages to friends via Facebook and Twitter right from your Kindle DX.

2. Popular highlights: The Kindle highlights the most popular passages in a book, including the number of people that highlighted it.

3. Library collections: The Kindle easily lets you organize your library into categories.

4. PDF panning and zooming. The Kindle DX devices have up to 300 times zooming power.

5. Password protection. You can add a security password to your Kindle DX to prevent indiscriminate purchases.
Closing thought
The Kindle DX Graphite offers but a slight improvement over the Kindle DX White.
If you currently own a Kindle DX, it won’t compel you much to change device. If you don’t have a Kindle DX yet and would like to buy a new one, the Kindle DX Graphite’s only edge against the Kindle DX White is better readability.
By Best-eReaders, July 07, 2010

Source:
http://best-ereaders.com/2010/07/07/...dx-2-graphite/

Last edited by meem; 08-13-2010 at 01:28 PM.
meem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #2
meem
meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.meem lived happily ever after.

Kindle DX 2: Is Color The Only Difference?

Kindle DX 2: Is Color The Only Difference ?

Last May, CrunchGear published a photo (taken at a Seattle coffee shop) of what was then supposed to be the next Kindle– a device that looks “exactly like the Kindle DX but black”.
Apparently, Crunchgear (and their tipster) is right about the next Kindle, for we are looking at it right now. Amazon announced July 1 on their website that it is rolling out its second generation Kindle DX – a device with Kindle DX’s wide 9.7-inch screen and capabilities but with a new shade and a lower price point.
The Kindle DX 2 is due out on July 7. Are they any new features it brings to the table?

Kindle DX 2: New Features

1. New Hue
Ever since Amazon dabbled in eReaders, the company has stuck to stark white for its Kindles. The DX 2’s change of color is its most striking change. Instead of Kindle’s trademark white, a dark graphite frame encloses the Kindle DX 2’s 9.7-inch eInk display. The new black border may help enhance the readability of the DX by allowing text to standout even more.

2. New Button Labels

Gone are the “Previous Page” and “Next Page” labels on the page turn buttons. Instead, users will find the buttons labeled with more simplified ‘<’ and ‘>’ arrows.

3. Improved Contrast

According to Amazon, the Kindle DX 2 comes with better contrast ratio of 10:1 – that’s 50% more contrast than the Kindle DX’s. This can give the Kindle DX 2 a clearer screen and sharper texts than its predecessor.

4. New Price

The black Kindle DX comes with a lighter price tag. It costs $379 only — that’s about 22% cheaper than when the Kindle DX 1 was introduced into the market. Today though, both share the same price. The same day that Amazon introduced the Kindle DX 2, it announced a new price for the DX 1 eReader. Amazon slashed $110 from the Kindle DX’s original price of $489 to match the price of the new Kindle DX.
To recap, there are now 2 Kindle DX versions: a black Kindle DX (which is now available for pre-order from Amazon) and a white Kindle DX. Both are available for $379.

New Look, Same Design

As you can see, Amazon didn’t do much to the Kindle DX 2.
The Kindle DX 2 is just a Kindle DX 1 dressed in a black chassis and a cheaper price point.

Like the Kindle DX 1, the DX 2 offers the same:
1. Dimension: it still weighs 18.9 ounces, measures 10.4 x 7.2 x 0.38 inches, and carries 4GB memory and 2-week battery life with wireless off or 1-week battery life with EVDO on.

2. Kindle 2.5 software update features: These include: two new fonts, social networking capability, popular highlights feature, folder/organization support, PDF panning and zooming, and password protection functionality. These features are also available on the Kindle DX and Kindle 2 so they’re not really new and exclusive Kindle DX 2features as the official Amazon Kindle DX 2 page says they are.

3. Wireless capabilities: These include: 60-second downloads, access to basic Web browser, 24/7 access to the Kindle Store, and Whispersync technology.

4. Access Large Kindle Store: The Kindle Store now offers ffers 620,000 ebooks, periodicals, and blogs.
Closing thought
The Kindle DX 2’s new graphite color, improved screen contrast, and cheaper price point make it a more compelling device than the Kindle DX. What’s quite disappointing is that Amazon did not turn the Kindle DX 2 into a device that will make it more useable for students and businessmen – a vital step that Amazon needs to take if it wants its Kindle DX to gain mass adoption.
By Ben Richter
July 03, 2010

Source:
http://www.best-ereaders.com/2010/07...ly-difference/
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #3
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I've never understood why Amazon made the Kindle white. Besides the contrast issue, I have to believe it's going to get dingy looking over time from being constantly handled. That's why I bought a skin immediately after buying my original DX. I have no skin on my Graphite, because it looks so good without one, that I don't want to cover it up.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 01:49 AM   #4
BigWaffles
Enthusiast
BigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-booksBigWaffles has learned how to read e-books

Device: K2, KDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
I've never understood why Amazon made the Kindle white. Besides the contrast issue, I have to believe it's going to get dingy looking over time from being constantly handled. That's why I bought a skin immediately after buying my original DX. I have no skin on my Graphite, because it looks so good without one, that I don't want to cover it up.
Had I thought about it before buying my K2 in Feb09 I would have agreed with you, but after owning it for 18 months and using it for 6 months during a desert deployment for the military I have to disagree. I have only used my K2 with the Amazon cover and no skin and so far it still looks as good as when I bought it. I'm not sure what material the case is made out of but it resists scratches & discoloring very well. I'd still like a cool looking graphite one though.

C.P.T.
BigWaffles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
meem

If you like black many people likes white, I am one of them.

I you a Mac user you will see most Apple computers and laptops are white.
And the white iPhone is more expensive than black in my country.

Everyone prefers a color.
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meem View Post
The new generation Kindle DX doesn’t differ much from its predecessor. It packs most of the features and capabilities of the Kindle DX White. What Amazon improved on in the Kindle DX 2 is readability.
It doesn't differ on many points but I would argue that readability is a huge point.

By the way, while I thank you for posting an interesting review and I note you did give full credit and link to the author, unless you are the author it is considered bad form to wholly reproduce their work here even with credit given. Typically, people will post a bit of a teaser and a link. That way, it drives traffic to the original site where the site owner might get revenue from ads and comments would be left on the original article. While reproducing the whole thing for us here is certainly more convenient for us and took a good deal more effort for you, it isn't fair to them.

Last edited by Alisa; 08-14-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:37 PM   #7
meem

I think my opinion is better, many sites after while was gone, so links will be just broken.
Although I put the link to original site with the name of author, so you can go to the original article if you wish.

Last edited by meem; 08-16-2010 at 04:24 AM.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
loveangel
Banned
loveangel began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
i like the opinion,and i support it
loveangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 03:48 AM   #9
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
I still haven't had the luck to see a DXG in live and I hope they didn't overdo the contrast. Yes, there is point (for me at least), where contrast could be too high.

Btw my art school teacher would eat you guys alive for calling white a color.
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:35 AM   #10
meem

Kindle DX (White with Global 3G - 2nd Generation) is now for 329$ only.
And Kindle DX Graphite still for 379$ !

Is there are some updates or improvements (excepting display) for Kindle DX Graphite or what ?!

Last edited by meem; 11-24-2010 at 03:38 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
bilgisiz
bilgisiz can illuminate an eclipsebilgisiz can illuminate an eclipsebilgisiz can illuminate an eclipsebilgisiz can illuminate an eclipsebilgisiz can illuminate an eclipsebilgisiz can illuminate an eclipsebilgisiz can illuminate an eclipsebilgisiz can illuminate an eclipsebilgisiz can illuminate an eclipsebilgisiz can illuminate an eclipsebilgisiz can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle 3.0.2 529960105
I wanna buy a Kindle DX just for reading manga... And of course Kindle DX White is cheaper than graphite... So i wonder manga performance of white is quite enough? Are there any pictures? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
bilgisiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #12
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilgisiz View Post
I wanna buy a Kindle DX just for reading manga... And of course Kindle DX White is cheaper than graphite... So i wonder manga performance of white is quite enough? Are there any pictures? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I've had both, and the pearl screen on the Graphite is considerably sharper than the white, but if you can get the white at a considerably lower price, there's nothing wrong with it.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
graphite, kindle dx, kindle dx 2, white