Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2009, 09:54 PM   #1
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Sony in Québec legally?

Those of us in Quebec have complained for years that Sony could not make their readers available to us, but our neighbours can get them in the rest of Canada.

This morning while browsing online shops for a new computer, I found the 505 and 700 available at Bureau en Gros, a subsidy of Staples here.

This evening my wife found the 505 in the French Christmas Sears Catalog of Canada.

Now I haven't tried ordering to see if it's true so I can't confirm anything.

Any one found other places?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:11 AM   #2
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Try Best Buy and Futureshop. Both online stores carry it but they still list the price at 349CDN$. And shoprbc.com in Ottawa has it too.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2009, 02:13 AM   #3
lukasfikr
Enthusiast
lukasfikr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kindle 3, Apple iPad/iPhone 4
Take your car and go to Ontario or cross a border ...
lukasfikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:46 AM   #4
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Wow, Thats really strange. Last time I checked Quebec was a part of Canada. What's Sony's reason ?
Here in Australia, that be like selling something in New South Wales but not selling it in Queensland
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:55 AM   #5
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasfikr View Post
Take your car and go to Ontario or cross a border ...
Faster than McD's... drop down to St. Johnsbury and get it there!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2009, 07:41 AM   #6
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
The Sony press release says they will be available across Canada.

http://fr.sony.ca/view/press_816.htm
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:03 AM   #7
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcey View Post
The Sony press release says they will be available across Canada.

http://fr.sony.ca/view/press_816.htm
Nice link Barcey, that's very reassuring.

I have to say that even if Sony was available in the rest of Canada, however I tried to find one, it wasn't available in Québec.

I've always suspected the copyright laws in French being the culprit although it has never been confirmed. I think the latest study of copyrights brought forth by the Harper administration may have had some impact through the whole ordeal.

Although the Bookeen is available through Archambault, their answers regarding my questions towards why they don't sell ebooks for the machine they provide were that they were negociating with publishers.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
DonaldL.
Connoisseur
DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DonaldL. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500/300/650, Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Those of us in Quebec have complained for years that Sony could not make their readers available to us, but our neighbours can get them in the rest of Canada.
I've never seen the 505 and 700 in stores, but from the beginning you could have special ordered it from Sony Style stores in Quebec.
DonaldL. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #9
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldL. View Post
I've never seen the 505 and 700 in stores, but from the beginning you could have special ordered it from Sony Style stores in Quebec.
I've tried that but the people there, those that new what I was talking about or that found the device in their listings, could not order any at all. Quebec banned, period.

Things are changing now and it's a good thing.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 08-22-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I *think* that the Canadian 500 and 505 user interfaces were in English only, so they did not bother to try to sell them in Quebec. The 300 and 600 are bilingual, so will be sold in all SonyStyle stores, as well as Future Shop and Best Buy.

I called Sony awhile back and asked if they would ship the 505 or 700 to Quebec. The sales rep said yes, no problem. I asked if any SonyStyle stores in Quebec carried the readers. She said not likely, but she had heard of a few stores in the Montreal area that kept a few units in the back that they brought out on request.

I also called a SonyStyle store in Brossard, and they confirmed that when the new models are available, they will be sold in all stores across the province.
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #11
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
When the 500 and the 505 came out, I do recall seeing many notices about them not being available in Quebec, but after awhile I realized that those notices seemed to have been quietly removed. That's what prompted me to call Sony to find out what was going on.
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #12
bookfiend
Enthusiast
bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma
I got one last Christmas (505). Shipped from the main sonystyle.com store, no problem.

Last edited by bookfiend; 08-24-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Added URL for clarification.
bookfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:19 PM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookfiend View Post
I got one last Christmas (505). Shipped from the main sonystyle.com store, no problem.
What? And you didn't even make it to Pub Saint-Paul for the meetup?
Old 08-26-2009, 05:16 PM   #14
bookfiend
Enthusiast
bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookfiend ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
What? And you didn't even make it to Pub Saint-Paul for the meetup?
Let me know when the next one is, and I'll be there!
bookfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #15
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Sony's are now in Quebec legally.

The reasons they were not in the past:
Quote:
The previous generation of e-readers was not available in Quebec due to provincial laws and regulations set by the OQLF (Quebec Office of the French language), said Algate.

“The packaging wasn’t French, the user interface wasn’t French, now all those things are included on the latest generation models,” he explained.
Sony readers (PRS-300 & PRS-600) are currently available through Archambault and French eBooks for Canadians are available at www.Jelis.ca
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote