Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-07-2024, 08:49 PM   #1
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Favorite Locked Room Mysteries?

Does anyone have recommendations for favorite locked room mysteries (both short stories and novels)?

Note: I'm using the term "locked room" -- but the term "impossible crime" works as well. The locked room might be a locked room in a mansion or a locked compartment on a train. Some experts also include crimes that occur in a remote location. (But others believe those should be called "closed circle mysteries" instead.)

John Dickson Carr ends up on many lists of favorite authors of locked room mysteries, so I picked up some of his books recently. I still have to read them, of course.

I also recently picked up books like "The Black Lizard Big Book of Locked-Room Mysteries" and "Golden Age Locked Room Mysteries" -- so if your favorites are short stories, they might already be in there.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 01:13 AM   #2
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Sherlock Holmes short stories, "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" and "The Adventure of the Empty House".

The Mystery of the Yellow Room by Gaston Leroux.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2024, 07:34 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
There are several Father Brown locked room mysteries; I remember especially "The Arrow from Heaven". He's sure to be represented in your collections.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 07:48 AM   #4
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'll also recommend Edmund Crispin's The Case of the Gilded Fly, the first of his Gervase Fen mysteries, as much for the Oxford setting, the literary allusions and the snark, as for the mystery itself.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 08:11 AM   #5
SomeSteve
Groupie
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
Does anyone have recommendations for favorite locked room mysteries (both short stories and novels)?
One I found amusing is Case for Three Detectives by Leo Bruce.

I would second the recommendation of Edmund Crispin's The Case of the Gilded Fly.

If you're not already familiar with them, you might want to take a look at these two websites. One is an article from The Guardian, the other "A Locked Room Library" by John Pugmire, which lists a lot of locked-room mysteries, some of them ranked, not all of which are available new (or as ebooks).

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...adrian-mckinty

https://mysteryfile.com/Locked_Rooms/Library.html
SomeSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2024, 10:23 AM   #6
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Sherlock Holmes short stories, "The Adventure of the Speckled Band" and "The Adventure of the Empty House".

The Mystery of the Yellow Room by Gaston Leroux.
And these stories are all available via the Patricia Clark Memorial Library of MobileRead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
There are several Father Brown locked room mysteries; I remember especially "The Arrow from Heaven". He's sure to be represented in your collections.
I should return to reading him. I remember reading "The Secret Garden" in "The Innocence of Father Brown" while in high school -- and being shocked at the revelation of the killer. I was sure Chesterton had broken some rule about mysteries -- but that was OK with me. (Some rules are meant to be broken.)
Old 01-08-2024, 10:30 AM   #7
Critteranne
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSteve View Post
One I found amusing is Case for Three Detectives by Leo Bruce.

I would second the recommendation of Edmund Crispin's The Case of the Gilded Fly.
My Classic Mysteries wishlist is taking a hit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeSteve View Post
If you're not already familiar with them, you might want to take a look at these two websites. One is an article from The Guardian, the other "A Locked Room Library" by John Pugmire, which lists a lot of locked-room mysteries, some of them ranked, not all of which are available new (or as ebooks).

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...adrian-mckinty

https://mysteryfile.com/Locked_Rooms/Library.html
Thanks!

Ooh, I just bought the new edition of "Rim of the Pit"...
Old 01-08-2024, 01:38 PM   #8
SomeSteve
Groupie
SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SomeSteve ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
John Dickson Carr ends up on many lists of favorite authors of locked room mysteries, so I picked up some of his books recently. I still have to read them, of course.
If you got Carr's The Hollow Man (also known as The Three Coffins) be aware that one chapter is a "locked room lecture," which contains spoilers of sorts for some other writers' locked-room mysteries, so I would suggest either skipping it or reading older locked-room mysteries, such as Leroux's The Mystery of the Yellow Room or Israel Zangwill's The Big Bow Mystery (also available on mobileread) first.
Old 01-08-2024, 06:28 PM   #9
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
As a born contrarian, I can't stand either The Yellow Room (I seriously wished savage painful death on the teenage brat detective) or J.D. Carr's work - in The Hollow Man The ONLY bit I liked was the 'how it's done' treatise, quite brilliant stuff. My personal advice would be skip the book EXCEPT that bit

On a slightly more serious note, despite loving the "how to" treatise written by the acknowledged master of the genre, I have not found any locked room mysteries I read after it to have been in any spoiled for me.

The British author Tom Mead is a serious JDC afficionado and has written about him and written intros for some editions of JDC books. His own locked room novels I love - Death and the Conjuror and The Murder Wheel
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 06:04 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
John Dickson Carr = also wrote under Carter Dickson.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 08:56 AM   #11
SomeSteve
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
As a born contrarian, I can't stand either The Yellow Room ... or J.D. Carr's work ...
I haven't read many of Carr's books, but I have become more tolerant toward him than I used to be.

Quote:
On a slightly more serious note, despite loving the "how to" treatise written by the acknowledged master of the genre, I have not found any locked room mysteries I read after it to have been in any spoiled for me.
I was thinking specifically of Zangwill's The Big Bow Mystery. The book isn't named, but the author is (and as far as I can tell, this was his lone mystery novel), and we are told (in general terms) how the murder was performed and who (again, in general terms) committed it. I must have read The Big Bow Mystery right after reading The Hollow Man, so I still remembered that much of the "The Locked-Room Lecture" (chapter XVII), which functioned as a spoiler for me.

The "Lecture" also reveals how the murder is performed in Anna Katherine Green's Initials Only and in "one of the most brilliant short detective stories in the history of detective fiction.... This is Melville Davisson Post's, The Doomdorf Mystery ..."

Gaston Leroux's The Mystery of the Yellow Room is named ("the best detective tale ever written"), but the game isn't completely given away, though still more of it than I would have liked. (I must have read it soon after The Hollow Man, as well.)

Quote:
The British author Tom Mead is a serious JDC afficionado and has written about him and written intros for some editions of JDC books. His own locked room novels I love - Death and the Conjuror and The Murder Wheel
Thanks to your having mentioned the latter elsewhere, the former is on my ereader, anxiously waiting for me to get to it.
Old 01-09-2024, 10:21 AM   #12
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
It's strange how self-referential locked room mysteries can get.

I recently read The Honjin Murders by Seishi Yokomizo, a Japanese novel first published in 1946, and that also references prior examples, including Carr and The Mystery of the Yellow Room.

It was good, but maybe a bit over-the-top, as locked rooms often are.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 01:11 PM   #13
Critteranne
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
John Dickson Carr = also wrote under Carter Dickson.
A very clever pseudonym. No one would have ever guessed they were the same person. (I supposed that was the point...)
Old 01-09-2024, 07:25 PM   #14
Critteranne
Guru

Here is a timely link that I brazenly stole from the FREE/BARGAIN — Mystery, Suspense & Thrillers thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...postcount=7399
Old 01-13-2024, 06:57 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
From the late, great mystery writer, Edward D. Hoch:

Nothing is Impossible

OP: I think this is your lucky day! It may not be available as an ebook. (I don't know.)

From Amazon:

"Dr. Sam Hawthorne, a New England country doctor in the first half of the twentieth century, was constantly faced by murders in locked rooms and impossible disappearances. Nothing Is Impossible contains fifteen of Dr. Sam s most extraordinary cases solved between 1932 and 1936, including a circus acrobat who vanishes from a trapeze; an invisible weapon; murder in a cabin surrounded by unmarked snow; murder in a locked house surrounded by an electrified fence; the attack on a ventriloquist's dummy; a haunted teepee; the vanishing of a teenage girl from her blue bicycle; and eight other ingenious problems for Dr. Sam. The introduction is by Janet Hutchings, editor of Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine."

There may be three books in this series. (Not certain.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hoch.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	205790  

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-13-2024 at 07:02 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote