Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-31-2008, 01:26 AM   #1
malduin
malduin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony!!
Naming PDF's

Its probably obvious to most people but I can't figure out how to rename my PDFs. I download text files from Gutenberg, change them to PDFs and rename the files in Calibre - so far so good. When I then transfer those files into ebook library my new names are ignored and the gutenberg url name is used. Is there anyway to retain my new file name? as the URL title is useless,

thanks
malduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 04:09 PM   #2
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
The only way I've successfully renamed pdfs is using Adobe Acrobat Professional. If I remember correctly (the program is on my work computer, not the computer I'm currently using), go to File > Document Properties and update the name there. And I think I've seen some similar conversations here before, so you might be able to find other renaming tips by doing a search.

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2008, 11:24 PM   #3
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by malduin View Post
Its probably obvious to most people but I can't figure out how to rename my PDFs. I download text files from Gutenberg, change them to PDFs and rename the files in Calibre - so far so good. When I then transfer those files into ebook library my new names are ignored and the gutenberg url name is used. Is there anyway to retain my new file name? as the URL title is useless,

thanks
Just out of curiosity, why are you converting the text files to PDF of all formats? PDF is the worst to do anything with period!

I would highly recommend converting them to LRF (using calibre) instead of PDF.
Just import the text file into calibre, change the names etc, then hit the convert button. Calibre will automatically create a LRF file, which will have proper names etc.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 12:32 AM   #4
malduin
malduin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony!!
A good question. I'm being a little impatient - I expect to have my 505 in the mail tomorrow and was just getting some material together to load it up. I was surprised to see documents of 171 pages in PDF become 720 in LRF - thats what put me off LRF - perhaps I should wait to see how they look on the Reader and I may see the wisdom of using LRF. Thanks for your input - greatly appreciated
malduin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:02 AM   #5
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Don't be fooled by the page count in the different format! 171 pages of a more-difficult-to-work-with format isn't a better thing than 720 pages in the format the reader works flawlessly with. It just means that those 171 pages are fixed in format and size and you'll have to shrink them down to see them on the screen.

What size was your font selection when you saw the 720 pages in the lrf format? S M or L? That affects the page numbers.

And I have found that the onscreen display of the LRF files is not accurate to what happens on the reader.

Convert the files to lrf format and be done with it.

And you might be surprised to learn that the files have already been converted to lrf format at www.manybooks.com or at www.munseys.com or in the book downloads section of this site, so you might save yourself a lot of effort if you look in those places before doing the conversions yourself.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2008, 06:08 AM   #6
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
I can but concur.... PDF is a VERY bad format for e-readers. I am currently trying to convert all my PDF-based e-books to a better format that my BeBook can handle. But I REALLY wished they could get the darn thing to support Mobi. Been converting to MS Reader. But it seems like it is having a bit of problem with paragraphs and page breaks.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 06:55 AM   #7
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:

thanks
You will have to edit the PDF metadata. Acrobat Pro can do this (for a hefty price), PDFtk does it for free, but you'll have to put in more of an effort.

PDFtk is a commandline tool and so requires a little fiddling, the good side is that it is possible to run it as part of a batch script, that is, if your PDFs are named in a consistent way (say author-title.pdf).
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Its probably obvious to most people but I can't figure out how to rename my PDFs.
Well to be far I wen through a lot of the same frustration before I figured it out.

Solution1:
Since you are creating the PDF. There is a free tool called Primo PDF that installs as a print driver. When printing(creating a PDF) the UI pops up and allows you to give the PDF a name and set the Author before the PDF is created.

Solution2:
I came across a free tool that allows the user to modify the PDF meta data. I posted the link in this thread

Soluiton3:
Or you can do both.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote