Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 07-25-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Do you read your own books?

Just curious. The question probably only applies to those like myself that tend to re-read books anyway. (I'm really talking about reading it for pleasure, rather than just picking it up to check things while you write the next book in the series.)

For a few different reasons I've had my first published book in my hands lately. It's more than four years since I wrote the first words of that one, and two years since it was published. Last night I actually started to read it over from the start. I'll probably leave it a bit longer before I try to read right through, but I still found it interesting to pick up one of my own books as something to read rather than something to edit.

I was pleased to find that it still works for me. I'm still familiar enough with it that I sort of miss some of the parts that were cut (the beginning in particular was cut back quite heavily), but I was happy to find that there was very little I would change after this much time and distance away from it.

I remember reading about actors that don't watch their own movies - can't remember who now - and I started to wonder how many authors read their own books.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:59 PM   #2
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I re-read sometimes, so I guess I'm qualified to answer

I only re-read my own books to look things up, but since I write non-fiction, I look up facts rather than characters or plot. I haven't re-read my narrative non-fiction book, and I doubt I ever will.

I'm interested to see what other people will say.
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Yes, on occasion. That is, if you consider what I write to be "books"...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #4
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Yes, but only occasionally. In the months after I finish a story I'll re-read it a few times, but then I can (and have) gone years before reading it again. It is nice to be able to read them without having to worry about editing them.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:21 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Just curious. The question probably only applies to those like myself that tend to re-read books anyway. (I'm really talking about reading it for pleasure, rather than just picking it up to check things while you write the next book in the series.)

For a few different reasons I've had my first published book in my hands lately. It's more than four years since I wrote the first words of that one, and two years since it was published. Last night I actually started to read it over from the start. I'll probably leave it a bit longer before I try to read right through, but I still found it interesting to pick up one of my own books as something to read rather than something to edit.

I was pleased to find that it still works for me. I'm still familiar enough with it that I sort of miss some of the parts that were cut (the beginning in particular was cut back quite heavily), but I was happy to find that there was very little I would change after this much time and distance away from it.

I remember reading about actors that don't watch their own movies - can't remember who now - and I started to wonder how many authors read their own books.
I think one actor was Vincent Price. He did see one of his movies "Witchmaster General" and when asked what he thought of it said that it scared the h**l out of him.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yes. I am writing a long series so from time to time I read through the whole thing again.

For 2 reasons...

1) I do not write to market, I write what I enjoy - so the books are perfect for me.
2) It helps keep things consistent as I roll forward.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:26 AM   #7
Just4kix
Zealot
Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Just4kix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I've e-published nearly all my books, but have only recently started to have print copies made. The first batch arrived yesterday and I found myself sitting down to read it as a 'real' reader would and I got lost in the story. I first began writing it over 20 years ago, so it's not surprising that I had forgotten some parts of the story.
Just4kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
Jae Author
Jae Author began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I do re-read my books on occasion. While I'm sometimes tempted to start editing little things, I find that I still like my characters and the plots.

Sometimes, I read my books just for fun, but other times as part of the "research" before writing a sequel or a tie-in short story.
Jae Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #9
FlourishBlott
FlourishBlott began at the beginning.

Device: none
I occasionally re-read my most recent projects. Often if it's something I wrote a long time ago I feel mortified to read it again! Haha.
FlourishBlott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #10
Nabeel
Zealot
Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nabeel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I write non-fiction, so maybe this is different. But, yes, I constantly re-read my material. In theory, I do this do keep a gain a sense of critical perspective. Sometimes I find that after a year or so, things become clearer, and I can decide 'yes, that was good' or 'no, I didn't get that bit right'.

But the problem is that sometimes the same passage can sound quite different on different occasions!
Nabeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #11
bookblogger
bookblogger began at the beginning.

Device: non
I like writing but I hate reading my own books. Weird huh?
bookblogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:14 PM   #12
Lazybones
Groupie
Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazybones ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I do enjoy reading some of my old books, but I find that I had an unnatural fascination with commas in my early work. The worst part is finding obvious typos that slipped through the editing process.
Lazybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:11 AM   #13
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookblogger View Post
I like writing but I hate reading my own books. Weird huh?
Yep. I'm trying to work out how this works. Do you enjoy reading your own writing while the project is in progress, and then lose that enjoyment later? Or what? I'm curious because I am my own first judge of my writing, it has to be working for me (when I read back over it as I go), or no one else ever gets to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazybones View Post
I do enjoy reading some of my old books, but I find that I had an unnatural fascination with commas in my early work. The worst part is finding obvious typos that slipped through the editing process.
One of the things I like is being able to read the completed books without feeling obliged to be on the lookout for such things. ... Of course, if/when an error hits you in the face it's not a good feeling. But then I remind myself that even books produced by big publishing for big name authors have some errors sneak through.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:55 AM   #14
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
Yep. I'm trying to work out how this works. Do you enjoy reading your own writing while the project is in progress, and then lose that enjoyment later? Or what? I'm curious because I am my own first judge of my writing, it has to be working for me (when I read back over it as I go), or no one else ever gets to see it.

One of the things I like is being able to read the completed books without feeling obliged to be on the lookout for such things. ... Of course, if/when an error hits you in the face it's not a good feeling. But then I remind myself that even books produced by big publishing for big name authors have some errors sneak through.
Some have major errors that creep through... sometimes, thye can lead to entiely new plots/books, though.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #15
Alex Bleach
Enthusiast
Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alex Bleach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC - PDF & Kindle Desktop
I sometimes read my short stories, but only after significant time has passed. If I read them too early on I am too critical rather than just enjoying the story. I also only do serious editing after the story is complete, as I find by re-reading and re-writing you end up writing the same sentences ad nauseum rather than progressing, but there are no hard and fast rules: it's about finding what works for you.

Last edited by Alex Bleach; 11-26-2014 at 02:04 PM. Reason: grammar mistakes
Alex Bleach is offline   Reply With Quote