Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
VirgoGirl
"Why is it doing *that*?"
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Kobo Touch & Glo, responsible for 2 PaperWhites
What Happened to my book covers??

After the big problem with my KT, I wound up with the latest firmware. However, when I load books onto my micro sd card (reformatted before using on the reader), the covers are gone.

I have run them through Calibre, but the covers are showing me the new generic Kobo cover. They were fine in .17, but in this new firmware either they are not showing up, or they are showing up as the wrong cover and often the title is not the same.

HELP!!!
VirgoGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
VirgoGirl
VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VirgoGirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know what's going on with my Touch. Covers are now coming and going as they see fit, sometime there will be a cover, sometimes nothing but the generic cover created by the Touch. I've added more ebooks to the card, and the previous covers disappeared. I have no idea what the heck is going on, I'm ready to throw the damn thing at the wall.
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #3
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
Are you running 2.1.5?

My kobo touch updated to 2.1.5 last week and I've just today started running into this issue. My books are all sideloaded to the kobo itself, not to a removable sd card, though.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
VirgoGirl

Just checked and yes, it's 2.1.5. It seems that every time the "Library" pages are turned, book covers have to be created. I loaded a book onto the Kobo itself, and there was an image file created. But I've noticed that with the side loaded cards on the SD card, no image file is created in the .images folder.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:19 PM   #5
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I would rather not have book covers shown in Library at least you should have option turn covers off then there would be less problems and delays turning pages looking for books. Having cover shown when viewing details of book is ok as that does slow it down much but covers are not really needed. I want to find books and read not look at covers but the interface forces covers are used even when you can not read title & author and captions are not displayed on home screen. Then it is a silly guessing game or use magnifying glass.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
Just checked and yes, it's 2.1.5. It seems that every time the "Library" pages are turned, book covers have to be created. I loaded a book onto the Kobo itself, and there was an image file created. But I've noticed that with the side loaded cards on the SD card, no image file is created in the .images folder.
The SD Card is the clue.

With 2.1.4, Kobo changed how they handled books on the SD Card. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=12 for some details.

So, what you are seeing is expected as the covers get generated each time they are needed for books on the SD card. I'm not sure why some books aren't getting a cover at all. I don't normally use an SD card, so haven't seen this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:00 AM   #7
VirgoGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The SD Card is the clue.

With 2.1.4, Kobo changed how they handled books on the SD Card. See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=12 for some details.

So, what you are seeing is expected as the covers get generated each time they are needed for books on the SD card. I'm not sure why some books aren't getting a cover at all. I don't normally use an SD card, so haven't seen this.
Thanks for the link!

As I play with it, I'm "discovering" new things about the firmware. It seems that my Kobo is having problems with reading sub folders on the SD card - not everyone's, mine. So I've had to remove my nicely catalogued ebooks and throw them willy nilly onto the card to get them to register with the reader.

After I put, say, 50 books on the reader, it only takes under a minute to process those books, but the covers don't show up. It appears to take more time, while the Kobo is sitting or being used or whatever, for it to go through and "read" the covers and add them to the memory. This can take 2 to 20 minutes as I saw last night. First there were no covers, then suddenly all the books have covers.

I will *not* give up my SD card, it's my insurance that when the Kobo bricks up, like it did yesterday, I still have my books safe. I have 3 redundant elibrary back ups, but I like it make sure what I'm currently reading is safe.

Kobo, with every new firmware update, appears to be going less and less user and sideloaded ebook friendly, and more about Kpubs and glitzy interfaces.