Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #766
spgh
spgh began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
@spgh-
The most common reason for this is that you are not placing the correct files into the root directory of your PW2.... inside the download zip is another zip file. You need to unpack it and place its' contents into your PW's root directory. (read the FAQ's in the first post) Cheers!
Thanks I'm dumb.
spgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #767
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Been there...dumb that! Glad it's working. Welcome to the forum!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2014, 07:16 PM   #768
ilikedbz
ilikedbz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by spgh View Post
Thanks I'm dumb.
That makes the both of us.

I just didn't expect to unzip something TWICE.
ilikedbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #769
more
more began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo forma
For german devices too?

Hi,

this is my first post and I am glad to have find this wonderfull place with so much informations

I have a Kindle PW2 (B0D4). Firmware is 5.4.3, the newest in Germany.

My question: does this hack also work with the german version of the device?

Thanks in forward
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:56 AM   #770
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
@more, Take a look here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers
You shouldn't have any problems.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2014, 07:24 PM   #771
Fewns
Fewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enough

Device: PW2
Should i use the "Update_jailbreak_bridge_1.9.N_install.bin" to update my jailbreak before going from 5.4.2.1 to 5.4.3 on a PW2?
Fewns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #772
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Fewns: On a PW2, that's not mandatory. On the other hand, it can't really hurt either.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 03:59 AM   #773
Fewns
Fewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enoughFewns will become famous soon enough

Device: PW2
Thanks. Updated the JB, installed 5.4.3.. everything working (fonts, ss, kual)(had to reapply as expected)
Fewns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #774
filmgirl
filmgirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPhone 5S, iPad Air, Kindle PW1
Just wanted to pop in and give thanks. Finally jailbroke my PW2 and the process, as usual, was a snap. You guys are the best.
filmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:37 AM   #775
discocreeper101
discocreeper101 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.discocreeper101 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.discocreeper101 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.discocreeper101 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.discocreeper101 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.discocreeper101 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.discocreeper101 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.discocreeper101 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.discocreeper101 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.discocreeper101 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.discocreeper101 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
When I Try To Download, It is attachment.php
Please Help!

Last edited by discocreeper101; 03-13-2014 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Missed Something
discocreeper101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 02:41 AM   #776
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by discocreeper101 View Post
When I Try To Download, It is attachment.php
This is a known problem with Internet Explorer. Possible solutions I have heard are:
  • Use a different browser.
  • View MobileRead.com in compatibility mode.
  • Rename the file to what you expect it to be.
It IS the correct folder, but it seems Internet Explorer specifically, doesn't like the way MobileRead communicates the filename it should be saved as.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:28 AM   #777
discocreeper101
discocreeper101 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.discocreeper101 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.discocreeper101 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.discocreeper101 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.discocreeper101 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.discocreeper101 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.discocreeper101 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.discocreeper101 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.discocreeper101 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.discocreeper101 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.discocreeper101 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
thanks eschwartz, have to try that tomorrow.
sent from my paperwhite
discocreeper101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:46 AM   #778
csm_walkabout
csm_walkabout began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Newbie problem: Thanks all the great posts and help - almost there just a (hopefully small) glitch: kindle pw2: 5.4.2.1 firmware:

SSH password not working (3 defaults are mario fionaxxx and fionaxxxx don't work)

Steps:
have jailbroken kindle pw2 and successfully installed USBnet & KUAL, kindlets etc work including kterm. However kindle came already registered as a present... I have not intentionally changed the password but i idid mistakenly enter ";un password" once into the search bar.

My current problem is I can't get any of the 3 default passwords to work nor does the framework mario combo work when using usbnet: I get welcome to kindle and password prompt: I am using linux.

As I had kterm working I tried changing root passwd: no go as readonly, then copied both shadow and passwd to extensions folder (used cp not cat) and tried to use john the ripper on them - no hash detected error...

Any help would be great!!!

One other problem: after installing duokan 2014 (which does install / run on kpw - although there is not much head room on a partition (installs 50 MB into a partition with 57 MB free?). I can no longer install updates (kindle update button remains grey after I install an update*.bin file into the user directory... (I tried restarting kindle but note it now boots into duokan by default)

Last edited by csm_walkabout; 03-13-2014 at 08:48 AM.
csm_walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:49 AM   #779
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Just get the root console somehow (kterm, USBNet via USB), then:

Code:
# mntroot rw
# passwd
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:56 AM   #780
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
[rant]
Is there an epidemic of people not reading the doc? That's, like, the fourth exact same question in 12 hours.

So, once and for all: Read the doc (and the actual one inside the USBNet package, please, unless you like being confused), and start with the default config over USB, you don't need no stinking password that way. >_<".
[/rant]

There, I feel better.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-13-2014 at 09:01 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch