Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 03:45 PM   #1
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

Device: Onyx Boox M92
battery consumption drastically reduced by...

disconnecting the speaker wire.

I have read a thread in Chinese Boox forum where people disconnect the speaker wires inside of M90. They all claim after that they were able to read for 3~4 weeks without recharging the battery.

Seems the speaker is the real culprit, can anyone confirm that?
jian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I haven't the foggiest clue, but if people confirm that this works, I'll be yanking mine out.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jian1 View Post
disconnecting the speaker wire.

I have read a thread in Chinese Boox forum where people disconnect the speaker wires inside of M90. They all claim after that they were able to read for 3~4 weeks without recharging the battery.

Seems the speaker is the real culprit, can anyone confirm that?
that should also take away the blind sot issue.
In other words leave the speaker there and just disconnect the wiring.

Most of the speakers are inductive these days, I don't think that they use a magnet anymore.
Continuous voltage means continuous magnetic shield and that results in uninterrupted blind spot presence. That makes sense, I was wondering why it is happening since the speakers are not magnetic anymore.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #4
thomas01155
Enthusiast
thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.thomas01155 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: none
I get about 2-3 days with speaker. I'm a little bit wary of removing the speaker as I don't want to void the warranty just yet, the firmware seems very unstable with constant crashing.
thomas01155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #5
forcheville
Zealot
forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs650, Boox M92, Samsung Slate 7
This is interesting, I may try it.
At onyxboox.com there is a shield available for fixing the blindspot problem. Instructions on the page tell you exactly how to open it and access the speaker.
http://www.onyxboox.com/product_info...9ts1ts1mltff53
forcheville is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

why can't they simply write a firmware that stops sending unnecessary current to speakers while in disuse?!?
Old 10-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
forcheville
Zealot
forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forcheville ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It turns out it is very easy to disconnect the speaker. You just unplug it from the circuitboard. Back is easy to take off. Clearly designed to make battery replacement possible. Battery plugs into circuitboard too.

Report on battery life to follow.

[Later] Plugged speaker back in after a day. The battery went flat even faster.
There are only two wires to the speaker and so it's unlikely that it uses an electromagnet.

Last edited by forcheville; 10-22-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
jian1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcheville View Post
It turns out it is very easy to disconnect the speaker. You just unplug it from the circuitboard. Back is easy to take off. Clearly designed to make battery replacement possible. Battery plugs into circuitboard too.

There are only two wires to the speaker and so it's unlikely that it uses an electromagnet.
good to let us know...another urban legend proved...
Old 10-23-2011, 08:44 AM   #9
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by forcheville View Post

No electro magnet then means permanent magnet (Am I wrong?) and that explains why the spot is always there. Disconnecting the speaker should not eliminate the blind spot. What happened in your case?
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
forcheville
Zealot

I didn't check the blind spot because I almost never use the stylus.
The kit they give out to fix the blind spot gets you to put a shield (aluminium?) behind the speaker.

I didn't prise up the speaker so I didn't check if there were more wires connected to it from the back, but it seems unlikely given the published instructions for installing the shield.
So, only two wires feeding the speaker - draw your own conclusions.

Also, you can shut the unit off completely and you'll still detect magnetism over the speaker in the back panel using a small ferrous screw or nail.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:49 AM   #11
gr650
gr650 doesn't littergr650 doesn't litter

Device: Boox M90
I didn't have any difference in battery runtime after disconnecting the speaker, just for the record. And I didn't have the blind spot to start with, either.
gr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:25 AM   #12
Onyx Europe
Distributor
Onyx Europe is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M91S
For my test device the blind spot disappeared after I've updated to the new firmware.
Onyx Europe is offline   Reply With Quote