Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-27-2011, 02:30 PM   #1
comet
Connoisseur
comet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis , Kindle Oasis 2, Tolino Epos
converting a 26MB mobi to epub

I tried to convert a mobi (26 MB) to an epub with calibre 0.7.57. But after one hour of heavy work (pursuant to the sound of the fans ;-) ) there was only 1% finished and my linux-system began to become very slow, so that I couldn't use the mouse any longer. So I stopped the conversion. Is there a chance to convert that book using calibre in a reasonable time?

greetings

comet
comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by comet View Post
I tried to convert a mobi (26 MB) to an epub with calibre 0.7.57. But after one hour of heavy work (pursuant to the sound of the fans ;-) ) there was only 1% finished and my linux-system began to become very slow, so that I couldn't use the mouse any longer. So I stopped the conversion. Is there a chance to convert that book using calibre in a reasonable time?

greetings

comet
24hours would not be unheard of for a book that size.

The messier the coding, the longer it can take.
Clear the lint out of the case and let it run overnite
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
comet
Connoisseur

24 hours? :-(
So perhaps I will try it overnight, but because of the problem with my system becoming slow I should stop the GUI. Is there a way to do the conversion using only the console?
Old 04-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
24 hours? :-(
So perhaps I will try it overnight, but because of the problem with my system becoming slow I should stop the GUI. Is there a way to do the conversion using only the console?
The GUI is not the issue. Eating up all your CPU cycles is
In the Windows and Linux, you can reduce the Job Priority (before you start) of worker processes (Preferences: Behavior: Job Priority) to Low.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
You can run the conversion in the console using ebook-convert, however, theducks is most probably right about the GUI not being the issue.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2011, 05:03 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

other slowness.
You are going to write many more than 26 M of temp files.
Defrag your HD and make the job easier.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:09 AM   #7
comet
Connoisseur

Thank all of you for your advice! :-)
Old 04-28-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
comet
Connoisseur

@theDucks:

When my system becomes slow the cpu is mainly idle. But memory (4 GB) is full and swap-space starts filling. So the problem seems to be not that calibre uses to many cycles but needs to many of the memory available.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
@theDucks:

When my system becomes slow the cpu is mainly idle. But memory (4 GB) is full and swap-space starts filling. So the problem seems to be not that calibre uses to many cycles but needs to many of the memory available.
See that (with Process explorer) on XP. Something cycles (Calibre GUI idle) and eats memory in 2M chunks, then it swaps some of it out and Swap grows. A full Quit, Then restart (Calibre restart seems to leave remnant files locked).
Best start a big hog of a convert with a fresh Calibre Run.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #10
comet
Connoisseur

I already (3 times) tried to convert with a fresh instance of calibre after restarting my computer but the loss of memory happens at every try :-( So I believe that I have no chance converting my ebook using calibre. :-(
Old 04-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That memory consumption looks excessive. There's likely something in your file causing a mem leak. If you open a bug report and post a link to your file, I'll take a look at it.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #12
seankav
seankav began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPad
Hey Kovidgoyal,

First off, excellent app "Calibre". I am trying to convert a 26mb mobi from a book that I purchased from Amazon.com for my kindle. I am trying to convert it to an epub so that my wife can read it on her nook. I tried to convert it on my pc (xp) and my wife's Macbook. It ran all night and it still didn't convert it. Any suggestions?

ps. - I called Amazon.com regarding their drm policy and though I fully agree with copyright protection, I did explain to them that Barns & Noble sells some books that they don't and visa versa. I voiced my displeasure that if I "Legally" purchase a book for my kindle, I should be able to convert it for my other devices. In this day and age, you would think that Amazon could verify that I purchased the book and allow the removal of the drm OR convert it for me. As you can imagine they couldn't help me. LOL
seankav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Can't really tell you what the problem might be without looking at the file in question, but as long as the conversion is running, I'd advise you to let it run, I've known a few conversions to take up to a couple of days.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #14
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Exclamation

@seankav

Welcome to Mobileread!
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:30 AM   #15
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
I had an html ebook with complicated css taking over 12 hours on my laptop (Turion dual core 2.1ghz/4gb RAM). It didn't seem to be going anywhere. I was sure it was sticking somehow.

I searched the forums here and saw similiar suggestions (it might take a long time).

I moved the file over to my desktop which is an unlocked-to-quadcore Phenom II @ 3.6ghz / 6GB / SSD...it finished in about 5 hours.

A 26mb mobi is huge. How on earth could one be that large? Lots of images or something? Excessively long?
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote