Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #1
tmg820
tmg820 began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook IQ, Sony Ereader Touch PRS600
pdf to epub - file size increases

Hi, I'm having an issue converting a pdf file to epub. The pdf file is 3.2MB and when I convert it to an epub using Calibre, the output file ends up being 59.5MB! Any ideas why this could be? Thanks.
tmg820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg820 View Post
Hi, I'm having an issue converting a pdf file to epub. The pdf file is 3.2MB and when I convert it to an epub using Calibre, the output file ends up being 59.5MB! Any ideas why this could be? Thanks.
Did you read the sticky above before posting?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118605
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #3
tmg820

Yes, thanks...but it doesn't do me any good.
Old 04-24-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
While it's true that it doesn't do you any good, the answer was in that Sticky:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
Calibre just created a ridiculously huge PDF!
This is most likely because you're using OSX. The third party library Calibre uses for pdf output is broken on OSX.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:43 AM   #5
tmg820

Thanks, not sure if I'm missing something here? But I am not using OSX...I'm on a PC using Windows. Also, the original pdf file is fine at 3MB, however it's the EPUB output file that comes out so large. I've converted many pdfs with Calibre and this has never happened yet...usually the epub ends up being smaller than the original pdf. This is really baffling me...
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Ah, well if that's the direction open up the epub with a zip utility and look inside. The most likely reason is also in the FAQ, but it's not just not explicitly describing the symptoms the same way you are:
Quote:
My pdf converted, but it doesn't contain any text, or the text is all garbled
Many pdfs are actually made up of many images of scanned books, one image for each page. Many of these types of pdfs use hidden OCR (optical character recognition - i.e. machine reading) text underneath the images, but not all of them do. When there is no OCR text at all, you will often get a conversion that has no text, or is made up only of images. If the pdf uses hidden OCR text, in most cases no editing was done to the OCR, and depending on the text quality and OCR engine the resulting text can be quite awful. There isn't anything you can do with a pdf like this in Calibre. Your best bet is to use real OCR software like ABBYY Finereader or Acrobat Professional to convert the document. There are also open source OCR projects such as Tesseract and OCRopus.
The epub would be larger because the images probably get converted to a format with less compression/greater bit depth.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Does your pdf have a background image?

I had a couple of pdf books that sound similar to what you're seeing - the input files were about a megabyte but the calibre-converted epubs were all around 40-50MB. They had a grey background image, and calibre wanted to add the same simple background image to the epub thousands of times. These were pdfs that were exported from OpenOffice direct by the author - they weren't scanned books.

An epub file is just a zip file - you could always rename it to "book.zip" and then look inside with Windows Explorer by double clicking on it to see what's taking up the space.

Cheers,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:45 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
An epub file is just a zip file - you could always rename it to "book.zip" and then look inside with Windows Explorer by double clicking on it to see what's taking up the space.
Better, use tweak ePub from Calibre's context menu.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:23 PM   #9
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Better, use tweak ePub from Calibre's context menu.
Ah, cool! You learn something everyday. I'd always used command line zip to look inside epubs (or Sigil, which doesn't show every file like toc).

Thanks,
Simon.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote