Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #91
CazMar
Book Geek
CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CazMar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus MemPad 7" tablet, Nexus 5, Asus 10" tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I've seen efficiency consultants defined as people who steal your watch and tell you the time. Given what I've seen of the breed, I'll believe it.
I suspect this is very much the case - and it's often a result of the "make work" approach of a lot of companies, i.e. if you send a lot of time having meetings and bringing in consultants and crack-pot schemes it looks as though you are really earning that fat salary, doesn't it?
Booksellers lived with 2nd hand sales for centuries, surely the savings on printing costs for ebooks would cover the loss from some piracy.
CazMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #92
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I've seen efficiency consultants defined as people who steal your watch and tell you the time. Given what I've seen of the breed, I'll believe it.
12 years ago I used to work back-office at a business consultants, you wouldn't believe the guff they used to come out with to justify their £1,000 per day fee. Most of it was just recycled from the last business they worked for, just a few words changed to make it seem more personal.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2011, 07:34 PM   #93
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by CazMar View Post
Booksellers lived with 2nd hand sales for centuries, surely the savings on printing costs for ebooks would cover the loss from some piracy.
The lack of any secondary market for ebooks will more than compensate for the small minority of people who download pirate books, and writers have just as much to gain from piracy as they do from second hand paperbacks. Publishers I couldn't care less about.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:56 AM   #94
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
What proportion of your books do you read more than once? With me, the figure is very low. I have a few old favourites, that I read over and over, but the overwhelming majority of books I'll never read again.
This.

But still. I hate corporate greed.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #95
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yes it's perfectly safe.
As long as there is no repeat of the 1984 fiasco -- and eReader technology and DRM schemes never change -- and your Kindle (and Amazon) lasts forever and you never have the desire to move your library to a different platform... it's perfectly safe.
I always strip the DRM as soon as I buy a book (though I stick mostly to free classics). It just gives me a warm feeling. Besides, all it takes is a drag n drop into calibre, and I get a catalog of my books to boot!
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #96
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
Well, I've always thought I'd just do something about it when the time comes since for the moment, I can't imagine reading on anything else but a kindle. Still, might be better to be safe than sorry...But after the DRM is stripped, I'd have to sideload the book now, yes?
Yeah, you'd sideload it using Calibre, which you already mentioned using in another post, and a USB cable. Or, you could email it to yourself using your free.kindle.com email address. I often do that when I'm too lazy to walk across the house to pick up the kindle.

I'd suggest removing the DRM sooner rather than later. When I first bought my kindle, it was just a matter of finding the PID of your device to remove the DRM. Then Amazon decided it was worth making it a bit harder and there were a rough few months while Smart Folks figured out how to get around the updated DRM.

There's always a chance they could change something again....
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 12:42 AM   #97
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post
Well, I've always thought I'd just do something about it when the time comes since for the moment, I can't imagine reading on anything else but a kindle. Still, might be better to be safe than sorry...But after the DRM is stripped, I'd have to sideload the book now, yes?
right and let me be the first to suggest you setup your files the way you want then import into Calibre. I put off really organizing my ebook files and ended up with a royal rats nest of files. I am near to done organizing them on my HDD. Once that is done I am adding all of them to Calibre, stripping the DRM with the plug-ins then, saving those files locally and sending the rest to my Dropbox account.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote