Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-13-2011, 11:59 AM   #31
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
THANK YOU HARRY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This is all pure paranoia, IMHO. Nobody is suggesting, and nor is there the slightest evidence to suggest that anyone is even THINKING of suggesting, that such a restriction be imposed.

The Overdrive library limits are a completely different situation, and cannot sensibly be used to infer that any additional restrictions are on their way for commercially-sold eBooks.

Haven't we got enough things to talk about with "the real world", rather than panicking about imaginary "wrongs"?
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #32
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
What proportion of your books do you read more than once? With me, the figure is very low. I have a few old favourites, that I read over and over, but the overwhelming majority of books I'll never read again.
Potentially all of them and I do not know in advance which books I want to re-read.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2011, 12:14 PM   #33
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
Over time? Many. I am currently rereading some books I read more than twenty years ago.
There's 3 books that I have read every year since I was about 14. There's a larger number that I've read 3 or 4 times.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 01:46 PM   #34
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
What proportion of your books do you read more than once? With me, the figure is very low. I have a few old favourites, that I read over and over, but the overwhelming majority of books I'll never read again.
Well it sure varies. Civilisation, Seven Japanese Tales, my Kafka collection I have had so long and read so many times that these books are held together with ribber bands now. On the other hand I doubt I will ever again look at any of the Stieg Larsson books. The thing is it is not possible to tell what books will be in the once over category before reading them.

Quote:
This is all pure paranoia, IMHO. Nobody is suggesting, and nor is there the slightest evidence to suggest that anyone is even THINKING of suggesting, that such a restriction be imposed.

The Overdrive library limits are a completely different situation, and cannot sensibly be used to infer that any additional restrictions are on their way for commercially-sold eBooks.

Haven't we got enough things to talk about with "the real world", rather than panicking about imaginary "wrongs"?

True no evidence out there yet. But it is not so hard to believe that the issue might have been discussed at HC when the new policy regarding Overdrive titles was discussed.

This short article in the latest Time Magazine may be of interest. Time is a sort of news aggregation source so this is probably not fresh news here. The figures for ebook sales versus ebook profits belie any claims that ebooks are not profitable as things stand now.

Digital Reads Data
Old 03-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #35
LeoMartin
LeoMartin began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Very interesting question! I don't think they'll limit in general, you'll likely be able to read as much as you want, but it would make some sense for them to limit how many times you can loan something.
LeoMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #36
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Well for books that are lendable (very few from the major publishers) there is already a limit on how often they can be loaned.

Once

Ever

I have no doubt that there are some in Publishing who are chomping at the bit to find a way to make eBooks "wear out" the way their physical counterparts do. I'm sure that some realize it would be a Public Relations disaster .... but given their actions over the past couple of years I'm not confident that would stop them.

More realistically I see them going at it from the Retail level. In other words, the next contract they offer up to Amazon dictates that they must limit the number of times a book can be downloaded from the archives. After all, Amazon doesn't keep back-ups of paper books for us now, do they? That's pretty much their goal, to turn eBooks into the financial equivalent Hardback titles.

And then we'll hear all their pissing and moaning about how they're doing it all for our own good, the future of literature, and think of the poor starving authors.

But Harry is right, there is more than enough real world nastiness going on to worry about something that hasn't happened and hopefully won't ever happen.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #37
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I have no doubt that there are some in Publishing who are chomping at the bit to find a way to make eBooks "wear out" the way their physical counterparts do. I'm sure that some realize it would be a Public Relations disaster .... but given their actions over the past couple of years I'm not confident that would stop them.
I expect we'll see a couple of attempts within the next year or two. The big 6 publishers really haven't yet realized they have serious competition in the ebook arena. In bookstores, they get the vast majority of the shelf space; whatever systems they decide on (pricing, cover art standards, reprint policies, etc.) will be what the readers put up with. In ebook stores, they're so far able to rely on the print world's advertising carrying over to ebook popularity--but if they start getting too restrictive, and small presses & self-pubbed books don't, that'll change.

I think the next "stage" in ebooks is small publishers & self-publishers getting access to Overdrive, so their books can be lent by libraries. I've no idea what that would cost, but with two of the big 6 refusing to do library ebooks at all, and another one about to be boycotted out of a lot of them, there's certainly space for libraries to offer less-known authors & books. Libraries should be talking with Overdrive about what it would take to set up access for Smashwords' premium books.

The ability to say "borrow the book for 2 weeks with DRM from your library, or buy it with no DRM from Smashwords," would be a major blow to the big-6 monopolistic approach to the marketplace.

But I don't see signs that the publishers are thinking about this. I expect at least one of them to try forced retirement of ebooks within the next year--either "expires after X date," or "only download 6 times, once per registered device" or something similar. They believe they've established legally that ebooks are licensed, not purchased, by saying so on several sites. (And they *really* don't believe that, by setting limits like that, they're establishing a legal case that previous purchases were purchases, not licenses. Someone's now got grounds to point out that Harper Collins books sold through Amazon are not licensed because they don't expire.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #38
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
I really don't think it will happen. We don't see it with digital games or digital music, why would we see it with digital books?
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:50 PM   #39
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
"how long before some bean-counter gets the idea to limit the number of times the consumer can read, or even access to download, our ebooks?"

I believe that the Agency Group are very likely to try to introduce this in the next year.
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
First they'd have to define what is meant by "read."
Would jumping to the last page blow the file up?
Would each page need to be viewed individually?... how about consecutively? Would you have to take a short quiz?

There just won't be an easy way for a publisher/retailer to determine (with any degree of accuracy) that ebook X has been well and truly "read." It would cause a customer service nightmare.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #41
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
what "evidence" existed prior to the HC move?
The CEO of Macmillan (John Sargent?) last year said they would consider a limited subscription model for Overdrive/library lending.

I wouldn't be surprised if Macmillan and Simon & Schuster announce a similar arrangement with Overdrive if Harper Collins' new policy is successful.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:28 PM   #42
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
I have reread almost every one of my books, most multiple times. My only caveat is that many of the books bought in 2010/2011 have yet to be reread. I have a large library as well with about 300 ebooks and 1500 pbooks, the majority of my ebooks are paid, DRM'd epubs.

Frankly calling this speculation paranoia is insulting. The growth of intellectual property rights has been massive in the last 60 years. Discussion about per eyeball charges has been common since the 90s. Executives are always looking for a way to make investors temporarily happy so they can get their big paydays.

The library issue is big, without libraries we run the risk of losing our own history. Allowing a per reader charge now before paper books start disappearing allows there to be precedent. And then libraries are no longer archives and our history and research go down the tubes so we can grease some corporate executives pockets.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #43
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
There are enough real issues to worry about to spend time "what if'ing" a scenario and then worrying about it.

I know I've rebought the same book many times in my life because I lost the original -- sometimes before even reading it once.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:09 PM   #44
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
And no faux indignation allowed. Yes, yes we know already, "if they ever do this you won't buy anymore ebooks" blah blah blah -- you will and you know it.
No I won't.

I already don't buy DRM-locked ebooks, even though I could strip the DRM if I wanted to. I refuse to support their business model.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #45
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The concept of 're-reading' would have to be integrated with all the reader software. Otherwise, how could it be implemented? Perhaps something could be done to the Adobe stuff for ePub, but that wouldn't affect Kindle stuff at all, or Secure Mobipocket (on older devices, and pc applications).
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote