Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 03:07 AM   #1
shadow2501
shadow2501 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
scribble for cheap in Europe

Hi fellow readers!

Since the best e-readers always seems to be the unreleased/cancelled ones, i'm asking some piece of advice about a "temporary" cheap model until more choice is available, especially in the 9 inches and more category.

Basically, i'll mainly use this model for one thing : load exercise books in .pdf (both OCRized and scanned pictures-only) read zoom-in to scribble down the answer, zoom-out/pan around and star over. (i used to have an Iliad doing this alright, but it met an unfortunate end)

A great bonus would be to somehow export or merge these scribbling on PC for further references.As a last resort, even the ability to open, scribble on and save pictures would be ok.

So far i narrowed down my choice to 3 models, by order of preference :

1-the Hanvon-N518

2-the Boox-60

3-the PRS-350

Supposedly, a firmware update issued around May made it possible to scribble directly on a pdf with the hanvon, but most reviews of this model were made in January and don't go into much detail about in-file notetaking abilities (with most videos on Youtube being in German, which doesn't help either.)

The Boox seems to have a decent rate of firmware upgrade, some versions even allowing screen captures, which might be helpful if the whole page can be saved at a decent resolution.

and the PRS-350, if it handles the pdf files as well as the 650 does, might be a safe value, except when it comes to exporting scribbling for PC use.

Soo, are there any kind N518, boox 60 and prs-350 owned out there that would be kind enough to confirm that these devices can do what i need them for, and what kind of format do they use to save their handwritten annotations?

Thanks in advance!
shadow2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
here is a picture/screen shot showing scribbling in the margin of a pdf magazine using the Boox 60.

i did exactly what you say- zoomed in, scribbled and then zoomed back out. Sorry about my poor chicken scratching. I do this often for schedules.

Like when I go to CES I have a list of things I want to see and the booth numbers in a pdf downloaded from the CES planner. as I go along I scratch off each one or write a note about it. I also add things that I want to go back and look at again etc.

This was taken from the thread here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91525
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 01:41 AM   #3
shadow2501
shadow2501 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-500
Why, thanks for the answer Dulinsbook!And don't worry about the handwriting, mine is similar

Silly me, this thread was one of the few about the Boox that i overlooked.
Nice to see that the boox may do some screen captures, it's such a convenient tool really.But it also made me give a second look to some other overlooked threads.

I don't know if it can help anyone else but here

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87123

a N518 user mentioned a firmware update for the device and provide a link for the .zip update file.He was more after DRM-reading abilities so he didn't mentioned anything about the other improvements.Unfortunately, he also forgot to mention that within the archive was a pdf describing the update (it's in german but nothing google translation can't manage)

IMHO the most interesting part is the last one -

19. Now you have the latest software version installed and can now
for example, notes in PDF files to make. These comments
be permanently stored in the PDF document as soon as the PDF reader
terminate or change to another document.
20. To make annotations in PDF files, make sure that
In the PDF menu "6 Normal "and" 0 Note have selected.
21. With the above settings, you can now draw directly in the PDF document.

the only limitations seems to be
-no notes in reflow mode
-no typed notes so far, only handwritten scribbling (perhaps for next update)

So no, it's not yet the miracle solution for annotating, but it's still a step in the right direction.
shadow2501 is offline   Reply With Quote