Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
michael.c
michael.c has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3
Aussie K3 owner disappointed by lack of Aus content. Want access to US store.

I am in Australia and I am going to receive my Kindle 3 in a few days. I have already bought a few books from the Australian selection of titles. However, there are many books that I would like to buy that are only available to US customers.

This is incredibly frustrating. There are several well known Australian authors whose ebooks are only available to US customers. None of Tim Winton's ebooks are available to Australian kindle owners. This is ridiculous. Tim Winton is probably the most celebrated and the most read Australian author and amazon/the publisher won't let aussies read him!

Could anyone help me in setting up my kindle and/or kindle account so that I can buy ebooks from the US Amazon site? I used an Australian credit card for my account. I obviously don't want to lose access to the books I have already bought through my Australian account.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by michael.c; 10-15-2010 at 12:29 PM.
michael.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
alsaan
Enthusiast
alsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2 & Kindle 3
Go to Manage Your Kindle and click on "Edit" under "Your Country". Then enter your american address and voilà, you'll be able to buy books from the US store. Note that you'll lose access to the Australian store, however.

Last edited by alsaan; 10-15-2010 at 03:57 PM.
alsaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, michael.c

When you've gotten your problem sorted out, (and if there is any way to do it you've come to the right place!)
please come along and introduce yourself.

Link below.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsaan View Post
Go to Manage Your Kindle and click on "Edit" under "Your Country". Then enter your american address and voilà, you'll be able to buy books from the US store. Note that you'll lose access to the Australian store, however.

Make sure it is a real address not a made up one. And while you lose access to the Aus store, to go back to Australia all you need to do is change back to your living address through the same process. I would wait until you have the kindle in your hands and you have registered it before you change to the USA.

The books you have already purchased will not get lost. They are always in your account on amazon unless you delete them. I have a book that is no longer available through amazon, they must have put it in their store against copyright restrictions but I bought it when it was available for sale. Amazon has never removed that book from my account nor the kindle. Even though I guess that someone made a mistake in putting it up on their site. They removed books from the actual kindles a few years ago -1984- and that created such a furore and a law suit that they never did that again.

Sometimes books are available in Australia but not the USA. Also, you can do the same with Amazon UK store, as they have more British writers available than the USA store, and are cheaper to buy than in the AUS store. I am mostly permanently in the USA store as books are also cheaper there. I only switch to Australia when I am buying a kindle.

Last edited by Pushka; 10-15-2010 at 07:22 PM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #5
malliemcg
malliemcg began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Kindle3-WiFi
I'd also recommend letting the author and let them know the situation, it's issues to do with distribution rights and publishing houses shafting people. Unless people complain loud enough, and often enough the situation won't change. Often authors are in the dark as to this issue.
malliemcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
May I recommend a VPN proxy like Hotspot Shield?
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 05:36 AM   #7
foxykav
foxykav began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushka View Post
Make sure it is a real address not a made up one. And while you lose access to the Aus store, to go back to Australia all you need to do is change back to your living address through the same process. I would wait until you have the kindle in your hands and you have registered it before you change to the USA.

The books you have already purchased will not get lost. They are always in your account on amazon unless you delete them. I have a book that is no longer available through amazon, they must have put it in their store against copyright restrictions but I bought it when it was available for sale. Amazon has never removed that book from my account nor the kindle. Even though I guess that someone made a mistake in putting it up on their site. They removed books from the actual kindles a few years ago -1984- and that created such a furore and a law suit that they never did that again.

Sometimes books are available in Australia but not the USA. Also, you can do the same with Amazon UK store, as they have more British writers available than the USA store, and are cheaper to buy than in the AUS store. I am mostly permanently in the USA store as books are also cheaper there. I only switch to Australia when I am buying a kindle.
Note that if you are considering using this method to buy US content there is an fee if you buy the book and send it straight to your Kindle via the Whispernet. Amazon will charge you an "international" fee for sending it over the whispernet, it was 22 cents each for the few ebooks I managed to get.

Now to my problem - I live in Australia and recently brought a Kindle 3 and decided to try swapping my living address to and US address to get US content. I got a valid US address from http://www.fakeusaaddress.com then went to "Manage Your Kindle" and click on "Edit" under "Your Country". Then entered the valid American address.

It did work for a day and I got several downloads ( 7 to be exact ). Then Amazon got wise and stopped me. I could get to the "US content" ebook page, click on "buy" then direct amazon to send it to my Kindle or "via computer" but then an error message would appear saying :

Quote:
Dear ***** , please contact us or change your country to complete your purchase.

You attempted to purchase an item while in a different country than listed on your Amazon account.

Are you traveling outside your country?

Please contact customer service in order to continue purchasing Kindle items.

Did you recently move to a new country?

You can easily update your country for your Amazon account.
I went into my account and the Kindle country was set the American address. I found out that the problem was once these purchases were billed to my Austrlian billing address for my credit card the site knew I was being a bit dodgy and starting blocking me.

For those thing of doing this please do it the right way ( not like me ) read http://jeffyen.blogspot.com/2010/08/...singapore.html it has a very clear method for buying US content in the Asia Pacfic region.

As for me now that my account is screwed I tried changing to a different American address but the same problem occured. I even tried changing the billing address on the credit card I use to match the American living address but no luck.

I was thinking of deregistering my Kindle from my account and creating another account with American details and connecting the Kindle to that account. But I'm worried that the ebooks I have already downloaded will not work on the Kindle since they are registerd to the old account. Plus if I want to download them again I will have to keep both accounts. From what I have read the ebooks are registered to the purchasing account and my to the PID of my Kindle. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I hope this post made sense so someone can help me. Does anyone have any bright ideas to get around this issue? Because I still have several ebooks I want to purchase but can't since they are US content only and I'm in Australia and want to keep the same amazon account.

Thanks.

Last edited by foxykav; 10-16-2010 at 05:59 AM. Reason: New Information Found
foxykav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:30 PM   #8
alsaan
Enthusiast
alsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it isalsaan knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 2 & Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxykav View Post
Note that if you are considering using this method to buy US content there is an fee if you buy the book and send it straight to your Kindle via the Whispernet. Amazon will charge you an "international" fee for sending it over the whispernet, it was 22 cents each for the few ebooks I managed to get.

Now to my problem - I live in Australia and recently brought a Kindle 3 and decided to try swapping my living address to and US address to get US content. I got a valid US address from http://www.fakeusaaddress.com then went to "Manage Your Kindle" and click on "Edit" under "Your Country". Then entered the valid American address.

It did work for a day and I got several downloads ( 7 to be exact ). Then Amazon got wise and stopped me. I could get to the "US content" ebook page, click on "buy" then direct amazon to send it to my Kindle or "via computer" but then an error message would appear saying :

I went into my account and the Kindle country was set the American address. I found out that the problem was once these purchases were billed to my Austrlian billing address for my credit card the site knew I was being a bit dodgy and starting blocking me.

For those thing of doing this please do it the right way ( not like me ) read http://jeffyen.blogspot.com/2010/08/...singapore.html it has a very clear method for buying US content in the Asia Pacfic region.

As for me now that my account is screwed I tried changing to a different American address but the same problem occured. I even tried changing the billing address on the credit card I use to match the American living address but no luck.

I was thinking of deregistering my Kindle from my account and creating another account with American details and connecting the Kindle to that account. But I'm worried that the ebooks I have already downloaded will not work on the Kindle since they are registerd to the old account. Plus if I want to download them again I will have to keep both accounts. From what I have read the ebooks are registered to the purchasing account and my to the PID of my Kindle. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I hope this post made sense so someone can help me. Does anyone have any bright ideas to get around this issue? Because I still have several ebooks I want to purchase but can't since they are US content only and I'm in Australia and want to keep the same amazon account.

Thanks.
Change your country back to Australia for a few days and then try again with the American address. Some people have reported success with this method.

This is just a personal impression, but Amazon seems to monitor more closely the accounts which buy multiple books in a row. It might be worth it to space out your purchases a bit in the future.
alsaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
pietro99
Connoisseur
pietro99 has learned how to buy an e-book online

I have an Australian Amazon account on my PC and a separate US account (with a fastmail.us email address) on my Notebook. I then buy accordingly and download them to my Kindle via the computer. Then drag and drop the file onto my USB connected Kindle. I thought this may not work as I used my Australian credit card for both but so far it has worked perfectly.

I doubt if Amazon really cares as they are making a sale they would have otherwise missed.
pietro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #10
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
As another Aussie I for one look forward to these geo-restrictions becoming a thing of the past. Right now I suppose we're really in the transition phase for authors and publishers as they deal with old distribution rights contracts.

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 11:17 PM   #11
pietro99
Connoisseur
pietro99 has learned how to buy an e-book online

I forgot to mention that a couple of times the price for Australia was more the the US price so it's worth checking.

By not having the books available to all regions the companies are doing themselves a disservice. Before I set up my new system there were several books I wanted which were not for OZ customers. I subsequently found free downloads of them, even though I was fully prepared to pay for them.
pietro99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:15 AM   #12
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Yes, pietro, the media companies are saving Australians lots of money by their methods.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:25 AM   #13
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Of course, it's always worth checking the author's sites too - if they've not been tied up in legals they might already offer downloads of their books at prices better than Amazon.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:09 AM   #14
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxykav View Post
Note that if you are considering using this method to buy US content there is an fee if you buy the book and send it straight to your Kindle via the Whispernet.
Nope, that fee no longer exists.

Maybe I am jinxing myself, but having read that blog, the only thing I did to hide was use a gift card. But I stopped doing that months ago. In 10 days time I will be in the USA anyway, and have ordered a white 3G to be delivered to my hotel because Amazon wont ship them to Australia.

Last edited by Pushka; 10-17-2010 at 02:13 AM.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:33 AM   #15
kyhwana
kyhwana has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle3
Hint, there's a way to get DRM and region enforcing ebooks! If amazon/the publishers keep screwing us over like this, there's always TPB..
kyhwana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amazon account, australian content