Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Paperwhite owners, how long did it take you to get used to no page turn buttons?

Getting used to the touchscreen was easy. I was used to that on my Nexus 10. But all the eBook readers I have on the Nexus 10 will remap the volume buttons to page turn buttons.

So between the tablet and the old Kindle 3, I really like page turn buttons.
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #2
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
About 10 seconds. Although I had the touch first, so I'm really referring to that. If you really like and prefer page turn buttons, it will probably take a bit, but I think you'll find after some time it'll be second nature. For me, it was a quick and easy transition right from the start and I really prefer it now.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
I have to admit that I still would prefer page turn buttons...that's about the only thing that keeps the PW from being 'perfect' in my mind. But the PW is such a vast improvement in every other way that my K2i is gathering dust!
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:20 PM   #4
kindleuzer
Enthusiast
kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: PW, K3 Kbd
Yeah, very quickly - almost immediately, in fact, coming from Kindle keyboard. I was surprised b/c I thought it was going to be an issue, but I definitely prefer the screen tap method to the physical buttons. The only thing I don't like is not being able to go forward when I'm holding the PW with my left hand, but I quickly adapted to that, too.
kindleuzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindleuzer View Post
The only thing I don't like is not being able to go forward when I'm holding the PW with my left hand, but I quickly adapted to that, too.
I got used to this quickly on my Kobo - because you can tap or swipe. So a left-thumb tap is a go-backwards, but left-thumb swipe in the right direction is a go-forwards.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #6
hunnymonster
Zealot
hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hunnymonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 wifi, K3 3G, K Touch, K Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
I have to admit that I still would prefer page turn buttons...that's about the only thing that keeps the PW from being 'perfect' in my mind. But the PW is such a vast improvement in every other way that my K2i is gathering dust!
s/K2i/K3

Except it has a new lease of life as my son's Kindle.
hunnymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #7
kindleuzer
Enthusiast
kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.kindleuzer can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I got used to this quickly on my Kobo - because you can tap or swipe. So a left-thumb tap is a go-backwards, but left-thumb swipe in the right direction is a go-forwards.
That's a nice feature. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work that way on the PW.

I'd like to see a mod or a future update where the left part of the screen devoted to page turning can be split into two sections, with a smaller lower section designated for forward page turning. It would be nice to just have a small square at the bottom that would turn forward.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #8
KindleChickie
Connoisseur
KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KindleChickie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DX, iPad 2, Kindle 3, Nook simple touch
My first touch-2-turn was the Nook touch. So by the time Amazon rolled out their touch I was already acclimated. But I disliked the first Kindle touch. It kept jumping to next chapter when I tried to turn a page....which now made that the last page read. I went hunting for my place maybe 5 or 6 times before I returned it. I have had better luck with the paperwhite.
KindleChickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:23 AM   #9
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
The only thing I don't like is not being able to go forward when I'm holding the PW with my left hand, but I quickly adapted to that, too.
I don't have a Paperwhite, so I can't try this, but there's a diagram on page 7 of the Kindle User's Guide that may help. It shows an area on the left that can be touched to page forward. Does that work for you?
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #10
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I actually hate page turn buttons. My Cybook Gen3 had them and they were very difficult to press. I loaned another ereader once, and the buttons where in the way while holding the device. I would often click a button by accident.

With the Touch, and now the Paperwhite, I just tap with my right thumb to go forward while holding the reader at the lower right corner.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I do miss the page turn buttons from the K3, particularly when holding the PW in my left hand - just a PITA having to reach over the "page back" touch area to go and touch the "page forward" bit I really wish they had kept the page turn buttons.

Last edited by Yolina; 03-23-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #12
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
This is the one "improvement" in e-readers I really don't like. I've gotten more used to touching the screen to turn pages since I started reading a bit on my Kindle Fire, but I still prefer the page turn buttons on my K3.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #13
kindleuzer
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I don't have a Paperwhite, so I can't try this, but there's a diagram on page 7 of the Kindle User's Guide that may help. It shows an area on the left that can be touched to page forward. Does that work for you?
That actually does work very well, thanks a lot. I didn't realize that the forward tap zone extended so far to the left. Just goes to show that it pays to RTFM!
Old 03-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Works just fine for me. You only need to "reach in" about 1cm from the left size of the screen to get to the "page forward" zone. That's why it's arranged the way it is, with a very narrow "page back" zone, and the rest of the screen doing a "page forward".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You only need to "reach in" about 1cm from the left size of the screen to get to the "page forward" zone. That's why it's arranged the way it is, with a very narrow "page back" zone, and the rest of the screen doing a "page forward".
I hold the PW in my left hand most of the time and I find the reaching over really annoying compared to the page turn buttons.

I also miss the physical Home button - now it's 2 taps to go to the home screen from inside a book
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote