Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-08-2013, 06:28 AM   #616
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
OK, I borred this HORROR novel from the library ages ago. Only read a few chapters but didn't manage to finish it.

From what I've read, a man basically goes nuts one morning and kills his dog and cuts it up to piece and put them in a box as a gift to his wife for her birthday or for their anniversary. He suddenly realizes what he has done and drives off in a hurry. He takes up a room in a motel and seeks a psychiatrist's help. That was as far as I read.

Anyone know the title?
TheSacredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #617
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSacredSoul View Post
OK, I borred this HORROR novel from the library ages ago. Only read a few chapters but didn't manage to finish it.

From what I've read, a man basically goes nuts one morning and kills his dog and cuts it up to piece and put them in a box as a gift to his wife for her birthday or for their anniversary. He suddenly realizes what he has done and drives off in a hurry. He takes up a room in a motel and seeks a psychiatrist's help. That was as far as I read.

Anyone know the title?
I've never read it but I do recall a thread here on the forum where a couple people were complaining about a scene like that in a book. I'll try to find it to see if it's close to what you're describing.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #618
TheSacredSoul
Mithrandir
TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TheSacredSoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
I've never read it but I do recall a thread here on the forum where a couple people were complaining about a scene like that in a book. I'll try to find it to see if it's close to what you're describing.
Cheers! that would be helpful!
TheSacredSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:46 AM   #619
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSacredSoul View Post

Anyone know the title?
I've never heard of the book I'm afraid. One thing though, you have a misspelling, it's 'borrowed' not borred. If the word were out of the present context someone reading it might have trouble understanding your meaning.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #620
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
I'm looking for a book i read in the late 80's, i thought it was called the chessmaster but my memory must be playing tricks on me.

It was about two chess champions but not about chess itself, they were the agents of good and evil and it was about their struggle with each other and the battle to see whether good or evil won.

Google just gives me a load of books about chess.

Alan
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:03 AM   #621
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
That one is Grandmaster by Molly Cochran and Warren Murphey.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/...randmaster.htm
Warren Murphy was also co-author of The Destroyer Series.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #622
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
That one is Grandmaster by Molly Cochran and Warren Murphey.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/...randmaster.htm
Warren Murphy was also co-author of The Destroyer Series.
Apache
Wow thanks for that, you have no idea how much that has been bugging me.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:51 PM   #623
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I read the book a long time ago, but it took me a minute to remember the title and authors so I could look it up.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #624
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Hi. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a children's book from either the sixties or the early seventies that featured a story about Raoul The Owl (that may have been the title of the story).

My recollection is that the owl couldn't see in the dark and he eventually had to be awake and fly in the daytime instead, much to the consternation of his family. He had a number of brothers who all had names starting with R.

He befriended a mouse, who I think was called Bertie but that he called Bertram, and they used to go flying together. I remember that Raoul got badly sunburnt and in the end had to fly wearing something to protect his wings, and possibly also sunglasses.

I would be very grateful if anyone knows about the book. I have tried hunting on google without success.

Thanks!
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #625
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadele View Post
Hi. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a children's book from either the sixties or the early seventies that featured a story about Raoul The Owl (that may have been the title of the story).

Thanks!
I believe that's a story by Jay Williams in The Golden Treasury of Children's Literature edited by Bryna and Louis Untermeyer.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:27 AM   #626
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Thank you so much for that! I will try and find a copy of the book.
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:44 AM   #627
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
I read a book some time past (at least 5 years ago I think) way before I got my first ereader.

It was SF, there was a midshipman or ensign or a lieutenant j.g. or similar, anyway a very junior (space) navy officer. All the senior "watch" officers are killed in an accident when their shuttle explodes. A couple of old officers are left but the rules in that navy are that some officers (the engineer?) cannot command a spaceship.
So this youngster takes command of the ship and goes on to complete the mission.
I recall that he had to deal with insubordination and a potential mutiny but not much more.
I know it was part of a series, though I did not get to read any sequels.

I would like to read it again (and the sequels) but I really cannot remember the title or the author.
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:26 AM   #628
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corkobo View Post
I read a book some time past (at least 5 years ago I think) way before I got my first ereader.

It was SF, there was a midshipman or ensign or a lieutenant j.g. or similar, anyway a very junior (space) navy officer. All the senior "watch" officers are killed in an accident when their shuttle explodes. A couple of old officers are left but the rules in that navy are that some officers (the engineer?) cannot command a spaceship.
So this youngster takes command of the ship and goes on to complete the mission.
I recall that he had to deal with insubordination and a potential mutiny but not much more.
I know it was part of a series, though I did not get to read any sequels.

I would like to read it again (and the sequels) but I really cannot remember the title or the author.
Probably
David Feintuch - Midshipman's Hope
7 books in the series

Released by Open Road in the UK, so Books on Board probably have them cheapest (Never sure why, I think they can't believe the list price is in £ and convert it from dollars instead)
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:59 AM   #629
Corkobo
Zealot
Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Corkobo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Nook Touch
That's it! I remember the author's name, now that you wrote it.
And 7 books! This will keep me going for a good few weeks.

Thank you very much MikeB!
Corkobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:22 AM   #630
WordCountess
WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WordCountess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Does anyone know the children's book of the 'Three Little Pigs', except it's told as the wolf's side of the story. It's well-illustrated and the wolf explains that he had a terrible cold and 'sneezed their houses down' as he went around asking for sugar. It's sold my scholastic and can be found at almost any children's library. But I cannot remember the title of it to save my life.
WordCountess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths