Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Sipix more robust than eink?

Is there any reason to believe that the new Sipix screens used by readers such as the Pandigital Novel Personal Reader and Cybook Orizon are more robust than eink screens? The latter are notoriously fragile, much more so than lcd screens. A couple months back my kid got a hold of my Pocketbook 360 and broke the screen. While I will in the future be much more careful where I leave my device, the experience has made me hesitant about replacing it with another eink device. I briefly had a PRS350, but got too paranoid about it and returned it. I currently have a nook color (lcds tend to be more robust than eink) but I am experiencing problems with the touch screen. I'll probably return it soon. I've been eyeing the Pandigital device mentioned above. Other than a greyer screen than other readers, it seems a pretty decent device (dictionary, wifi and browser, capacitative touch screen, B and N ebook store, etc.). Is there enough data to make a conclusion about the relative toughness of eink and sipix?
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #2
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Hi,

I'll jump on this one, giving the case no one has replied.

Not sure what you mean with a screen X more robust than screen Y. As an Engineer and IT guy, I can say LCD screens or whatever is made of glass, ceramic, etc, it is more "hard", which in Engineering terms terms means it is more difficult to scratch; the downside and the technology fact is that, whatever is difficult to scratch it is also fragile as well: LCD, Ceramic, etc. Something related with the internal atom structure: covalent bond.

After that boring technology sermon, I would not compare or be worried about what's more fragile or what's not. As an ereader, you should assume that screens are delicate so be sure you protect those with a nice cover and avoid accidental drops. Because what I explained above, I believe eink is not so fragile when you compare to a regular LCD screen, but I am not 100% of what kind of chemical structure eink screens use.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
Is there any reason to believe that the new Sipix screens used by readers such as the Pandigital Novel Personal Reader and Cybook Orizon are more robust than eink screens? The latter are notoriously fragile, much more so than lcd screens. A couple months back my kid got a hold of my Pocketbook 360 and broke the screen. While I will in the future be much more careful where I leave my device, the experience has made me hesitant about replacing it with another eink device. I briefly had a PRS350, but got too paranoid about it and returned it. I currently have a nook color (lcds tend to be more robust than eink) but I am experiencing problems with the touch screen. I'll probably return it soon. I've been eyeing the Pandigital device mentioned above. Other than a greyer screen than other readers, it seems a pretty decent device (dictionary, wifi and browser, capacitative touch screen, B and N ebook store, etc.). Is there enough data to make a conclusion about the relative toughness of eink and sipix?
I thought the PanDigital uses a resistive touch screen.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
AFAIK, Sipix screens have a glass substrate just as eInk screens currently do, so there's no reason to suppose that they're more robust.

On the other hand, I really don't think that eInk screens ARE especially fragile. They are certainly not children's toys, and should be kept out of the hands of small children, but treat them with a reasonable degree of respect and there's no reason to expect problems. I've lost count of the number of different eInk devices I've owned, and I've never had a screen break. What breaks screens is not so much knocks, but twisting forces. Avoid those - and ALWAYS keep a reader in a decent case - and you should be absolutely fine.

Hopefully this year we'll finally see eInk screens with a plastic substrate. Goodness knows, they've been long enough in appearing!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:25 AM   #5
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Something related with the internal atom structure: covalent bond.
This just brought back many nostalgic memories..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hopefully this year we'll finally see eInk screens with a plastic substrate. Goodness knows, they've been long enough in appearing!
Wasn't Plastic Logic trying to do this? Hope they materialize the vaporware-Que Reader.

My main concern with E-ink is with the black lines that appeared on my irex. I have resisted buying another one in fear of this recurring(on the other hand my KDX is in good shape). LCD is now quite a mature tech, but i am not so sure of e-paper tech.

Does Sipix or E-ink have any known advantages in this respect? Or was the issue just an Irex thing?
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:34 AM   #6
rhari79
Addict
rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhari79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: .*
my thoughts entirely..if pixel qi and/or mirasol perform well, then its time to do away with the snail-paced eink!!
rhari79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:59 AM   #7
AGB
Headbutting stupidity
AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650
I have had an e-ink screen break. However, that was by accidently placing my elbow on it with the full weight of my upper body. I'm not even sure my Thinky X-series laptop would have been able to not break from that kind of treatment.
AGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #8
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhari79 View Post
my thoughts entirely..if pixel qi and/or mirasol perform well, then its time to do away with the snail-paced eink!!
I think a lot of factors are going to determine whether or not pixel qi or mirasol either replace e-ink or stake out a middle ground between e-ink and traditional LCD displays.

The two biggest issues are cost and power consumption. With e-ink based readers now commonly available for less than $150, the alternatives, regardless of their advantages, will have to get near that price if they are going to replace e-Ink.

Likewise, while certainly more efficient than traditional LCD's, will either display be able to match how thrifty eInk is? I had a Jetbook, the reflective LCD was very thrifty for what it was, but I still had to recharge it every 5 days or so when the battery was new; every other day when it was two years old. Meanwhile, the PRS-505 I inherited from the wife, after a year of use still provides more than 2 weeks of reading per charge.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookeen, eink, pandigital, sipix