Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 01-25-2007, 04:45 AM   #91
pinenut
pinenut began at the beginning.

I am also getting a CRC error on 2.1.5 and 2.1.6.
pinenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 06:34 AM   #92
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azayzel
Here's a question though... If PDFrasterfarian transcodes the PDF to an image file, can't it be used to stitch together a bunch of images into a single file like JE-Comics Creator does? The reason I ask is that I'm trying to skip the whole convert to PDF portion of the process (though this only takes about 20-seconds).
I've been wondering the same thing. But my reason is that document scan images could then be prepared for the Reader without OCRing them.

Then if there was an automatic way of also automatically separating two page scans into two images in the right order, one could scan a book pretty quickly with two page scans on just about any scanner and turn it into something the Reader can see. That would be an unbelievable tool! ;-)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2007, 10:50 AM   #93
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinenut
I am also getting a CRC error on 2.1.5 and 2.1.6.
I remember Alex was having a bad connection to our servers. My guess is that the last update has CRC errors because of that.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:36 AM   #94
bugsbunny14
Connoisseur
bugsbunny14 began at the beginning.

hello all,
i am using version 2.1.4 , and the problem i am facing is that when i convert my pdf files to .irf using PDFrasterFarian the clearity is very good but the font size is very small , so when i make the page size larger on my sony reader (from small to medium or large ) the clearity becomes very bad , so is there a way to fix that ?

thanks .
bugsbunny14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:13 PM   #95
yunhaid
Enthusiast
yunhaid doesn't litteryunhaid doesn't litter

can you give me the lrf.dll and lrf.h file?
i have some intersting in pdftolrf.
yunhaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2007, 11:06 PM   #96
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
yeah, sigh, i guess my uploading is still not working. ok, i've now tried creating a rar with a 10% recovery record. in theory, this should correct the errors that are introduced when i try to upload. The problem is the connection keeps breaking off and resuming, and I guess Filezilla doesn't handle this part perfectly. Or maybe even straight uploading doesn't work too well either. Anyway, download 2.1.6 here and let me know if the recovery record helps.

Azayzel, PDFrasterFarian could very easily be made to work with images. Ok, in 2.2 you'll be able to right-click a folder and process and glue the images in it. I'm afraid the same page ordering issues as in pre-2.1.4 might resurface, but I don't think those affected too many people. (And the people with those problems can just go back to je-comic creator)

Bob, would simply splitting the image down the middle (or by some configurable but constant position) satisfy you? If you do your scans carefully, i think so. This would also not be a problem to add, and i'll put it in 2.2.

Also, maybe someone could do the homework for me and find a nice DjVu-to-PNG/JPG converter. (DjVu is a popular file format for scanned documents.) I'd like to put this in 2.2 as well.

The one-click-profiles feature is also itching me (ie an extra, configurable context-menu option that does a conversion without asking any questions). Thing is that simply adding a one-click-profile is easy. The hard part is actually deleting it (at least if you have more than one). You have to parse the Registry, present the existing profiles to the user, etc.

Oh, and, with one-click profiles you'd also want multiple conversion instances even more, so you could just fire a bunch of them off and go to sleep. To make temp folders that are different on each instance is easy. Cleaning up after people close pdfrasterfarian improperly is harder. Hmm... I guess i'll check timestamps on startup and delete older temp directories.

Lastly, specifying a page range for conversion is also not a problem. I'm not sure how many people really need this feature, but I'll chuck it into advanced mode.

hmm... if i implement all these features maybe i should call the new version 2.5

bugsbunny, the way to make things bigger is not to use the reader's size button, but to change a pdfrasterfarian parameter. In 2.1.4 this was called "landscape" mode. In 2.1.6 it's referred to as "splitting a page in two." I know this has been confusing many people, and it's frustatrating me that I can't get the new version out.
alex_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:11 PM   #97
alex_d
Addict

yunhaid, take a look here: https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_conversion
the lrs2lrf is the tool i'm using to compile lrs source files into BBeB books. It makes use of the zylog dll, which oyu can also access directly. However, I don't know the headers to it or anything like that. I also used the lrf2lrs tool to see examples of sources files. I typically decompiled books made in bookcreator. There's also a full BBeB spec in another thread.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:23 AM   #98
xietamu
xietamu began at the beginning.

alex,

thanks for the program, it's great

djvu to image conversion can be done using opensource djvulibre ( http://djvu.sourceforge.net/ ) package, it has a program ddjvu (although as I recall the output was to pbm and tiff only, I hope it's not a problem as ImageMagick can handle those)
xietamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 03:18 AM   #99
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_d
Or maybe even straight uploading doesn't work too well either. Anyway, download 2.1.6 here and let me know if the recovery record helps.
Works fine this time, thank you!
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:58 AM   #100
basil_555
basil_555 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I noticed, that when I increase the size of PDF files, created with PDFrasterfarian, the Reader doesn't show the bottom part of the page, so this part is completely lost from view, and it isn't shown on the next page as well. Is there is a way to fix it?

Last edited by basil_555; 01-29-2007 at 05:01 AM.
basil_555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:05 AM   #101
alex_d
Addict

basil, don't use the Size button on the Sony Reader except to switch from portrait to landscape. It looks ugly if you try this, and you cannot move the viewport to see the parts which are cut off.

because pdfrasterfarian encodes the pdf as images, you have to decide at conversion time how you want the result to look. i'm not aware of any .lrf feature that'll let me switch up the images that are displayed based on the orientation or size settings on the Reader.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:33 PM   #102
kitsunebi
kitsunebi began at the beginning.

PDFrasterFarian sounds like exactly what I need. I've had no luck reading the PDF versions of Google digitized books on my Sony Reader. I successfully downloaded and unzipped PDFrasterFarian 2.1.6, but I don't get a user interface when I click on the icon in Windows. Should I? Is there a user's guide or help file? All I see are three folders, "modules," "software," and "temp" plus the install/uninstall files. What's the next step to get the program running? Thanks...
kitsunebi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:20 PM   #103
jthunt11
jthunt11 began at the beginning.

Perfect

alex_d

This alone has made me buy a Sony Reader and it works perfectly on the PDF files I want to convert.

Thank you VERY much for this.
jthunt11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 04:34 PM   #104
basil_555
basil_555 began at the beginning.

Yes, PDFrasterFarian is a GREAT program!
basil_555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 11:39 AM   #105
kitsunebi
kitsunebi began at the beginning.

Installing PDFrasterFarian

The instructions say that "The install/uninstall scripts put a context menu option for pdfs into windows explorer." This does not seem to occur for me after running install (I hit return as suggested for "quick install" and got the message "installation done." But when I right-click a PDF in Windows Explorer there is no "PDFrasterFarian" option. Am I doing something wrong? Thanks for anyone's help.
kitsunebi is offline   Reply With Quote