Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Legacy E-Book Devices

Notices

Old 03-28-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
tofuman
Enthusiast
tofuman began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad/ipaq3970
(Mobile) WiMax and readers

I was very impressed by the specs of iRex iLiad e-book reader. It's very exciting time having all those readers come out finally. I think e-ink is the most important technology in the next ten years or so.

One way to expand the features of the readers will be putting in broadband wireless connectivity. By doing so, you can download books anywhere, anytime and you can access other informations such as e-mails, news, etc.

Currenty, mobile WiMax service (or WiBro) is tried in Korea and some other countries are showing interests. Mobile WiMax is somewhat different from WiMax in that it is targeted at mobile users rather than the broadband connection at home. In my opinion, it's a better solution than cellular solutions in terms of costs and performance. (Of course, exact numbers will only be available after the commercial launch of the service.)

I'm currently involved in the development of the mobile WiMax devices and I'd like to know weather the iRex or other companies making readers will be interested in the technology. I'm just an engineer, so can't talk about how the business will be conducted. But if they are interested I can talk to business people in my company and also possiblty service providers and contents providers in Korea.

My e-mail to iRex wasn't returned. So I assume they are not interested?

Anyway, what's your opinion on putting this kind of access capability in the readers?
tofuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:17 AM   #2
cervezas
palm & java hacker
cervezas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cervezas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.cervezas has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Visor, T3, i500, iQue ...
I'm very interested in getting WiMax into mobile devices of any kind. Anything that gives people an alternative to using the cellular networks for wide-area wireless networking is a good thing. I'd like to think that WiMax could help break the stranglehold that the operators have on what kind of devices consumers get to choose. Innovative, but relatively niche products like E-book readers and web pads (niche compared to cellphones) are just the kind of thing that would be great to have available with WiMax radios.

I'm interested in your opinion about why WiMax is a preferred solution to the cell networks and it's likely to start being deployed in the US.
cervezas is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2006, 08:29 AM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Where I live (Switzerland), I know of at least one (small) company which is actively persuing WiMax technology. I think one problem here is that we have rather strict restrictions applied to certain spectrum bands, and I am not sure how easy it'll get to allocate enough for WiMax to work.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:08 AM   #4
tofuman
Enthusiast
tofuman began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad/ipaq3970
Cost will be the main advantage compared to using cellular network. WiMax will be also faster but that depends on the number and the usage pattern of the users. (The way they are billed will have an influence, too.)

I also like the fact that the WiMax service will not be tied to cellular service providers. And I expect (hope?) the WiMax will be more open and will be easier to implement in various devices and O/Ss.

And about the availability in US, I don't have much informatin but according to wikipedia, 'In September 2005, Samsung Electronics signed a deal with Sprint Nextel Corporation to provide equipment for a WiBro trial(Link1 Link 2) '.
tofuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:16 AM   #5
luag
Zealot
luag began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox 60
WiFi, WiBro, WiMax...whats next? WiTanic? WiSoconfusing?

j/k
luag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2006, 04:35 AM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Well, it's going to be by the end of this year that the first commercial WiMax networks will arrive (probably first in Asia). The real growth in WiMax is not anticipated before 2007 to 2009.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:43 AM   #7
dallas-lv
dallas-lv began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 6310i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TadW
Well, it's going to be by the end of this year that the first commercial WiMax networks will arrive (probably first in Asia). The real growth in WiMax is not anticipated before 2007 to 2009.
I fully agree. I have heard about some pilot projects (even here in Latvia) but the main reasons of slow deployment are the lack of spectrum and low number of devices available currently.

Last edited by dallas-lv; 01-10-2007 at 04:53 AM. Reason: typo fix
dallas-lv is offline   Reply With Quote