Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #16
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
I don't believe this is true. My music collection is from dozens of sources, 15,000+ songs. Never had any issues.
It's not really true. It's a collection of confusing soundbites.

During the timeframe that the lawsuit covers, Realplayer discovered weaknesses in the security software (DRM) that Apple used to protect the music it sold. It used these weaknesses to sell it's own protected music that would work on iPods (Apple only ever allowed it's own DRM to work on the iPods, in much the same way that Amazon only allows one sort of DRM to work on the Kindle.)

But when Apple corrected the weaknesses, the music that Realplayer sold stopped playing on iPods because that music depended on the existence of those weaknesses. That's what the lawsuit is about - whether Apple (and Amazon and Adobe by extension) have the right to use DRM to limit what media consumers can purchase and use on hardware they've bought.

Music that was sold DRM free always worked on the iPods without any complications.

Last edited by Shane R; 12-05-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:39 AM   #17
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
It didn't sound right to me. I've also had an iPod since they came out, and a very large portion of my music collection is from scanning the CDs I had before that point, so music not purchased from Apple.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2014, 08:41 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane R View Post
It's not really true. It's a collection of confusing soundbites.

During the timeframe that the lawsuit covers, Realplayer discovered weaknesses in the security software (DRM) that Apple used to protect the music it sold. It used these weaknesses to sell it's own protected music that would work on iPods (Apple only ever allowed it's own DRM to work on the iPods, in much the same way that Amazon only allows one sort of DRM to work on the Kindle.)

But when Apple corrected the weaknesses, the music that Realplayer sold stopped playing on iPods because that music depended on the existence of those weaknesses.

Music that was sold DRM free always worked on the iPods without any complications.
Thanks for clarifying it - that makes a lot more sense now.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #19
Glorfindel
Force-Aware Elf
Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Glorfindel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 w/SO
Glorfindel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #20
Red Falcon
Addict
Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Falcon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Read the comments below the Guardian article.They say that the deletion issues arose out of certain companies hacking Apple's DRM code.
Red Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2014, 11:29 AM   #21
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Thanks for clarifying it - that makes a lot more sense now.
The title of this conversation is kinda incorrect.
Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #22
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Changed my mind...

Last edited by Tarana; 12-05-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:43 PM   #23
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I avoided this since I was using a Zune back then. It recently died and I bought an iPod Classic 160GB. I hate iTunes, but I wanted something that would hold all of my music and podcasts. I bought more music from Amazon than I did from Apple. I would be seriously upset if they had done this to me. I would not have lost anything though since all of my music and podcasts are backed up in multiple locations.
When I saw this I was not surprised that they did it although I did wonder how they thought they would be able to keep anyone from discovering their crime.
Apache
Yeah... not surprised 'cos it's Apple... love the open minds round here...

Do you believe everything you read on the net / in the papers / on TV???

Apple didn't delete anything, they advised a "factory reset" because sync revealed music that had a hacked version of their DRM... No iPod has/or has had any problems with DRM free music from anywhere... I've never bought any music from Apple and use iTunes as well with absolutely no problems...

"...discovering their crime." great pejorative language about a total non-event especially as the plaintiffs look to have perpetrated a fraud themselves since it seems their iPods were purchased outside the period they are complaining about...

Still, it's only Apple... the greatest threat to the integrity of the world...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:23 PM   #24
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Still, it's only Apple... the greatest threat to the integrity of the world...
How true. How true.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 04:24 AM   #25
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
One should be careful about buying into the initial narrative put out by the lawyers at the start of a trial.
As expected, the case seems to be more about some lawyers looking for a pay day as opposed to people actually being harmed. Apparently the plaintiffs in the case didn't actually own the iPods in question, much less lose any music.

http://online.wsj.com/articles/judge...&mg=reno64-wsj

Here is the pertinent quote from the article.
===================================

A federal judge Thursday questioned whether any of the plaintiffs in a long-running antitrust suit against Apple Inc. had actually bought the iPods at issue in the case.

“What am I supposed to do if I don’t have a plaintiff?” asked a concerned U.S. District Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers after the jury left the courtroom at the end of Thursday’s proceedings.

Judge Rogers said that in a letter submitted to her late Wednesday night, Apple’s lawyers said there is no evidence that the plaintiffs’ two class representatives purchased the models of iPods focused on in the trial.

Judge Rogers’ comments raised the prospect that the 10-year-old case, in which the plaintiffs are seeking $350 million in damages, could end quickly in Apple’s favor.

“I am concerned that I don’t have a plaintiff,” Judge Rogers told a stunned gallery. “That is a problem.”

The judge urged attorneys to submit filings suggesting next moves. “I’m not interested in waiting,” Judge Rogers said.
================================
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 06:10 AM   #26
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I put this up for discussion and clarification. I knew people would and should question the article. But, isn't it funny that the Apple lovers automatically defend Apple no matter what. And the Apple haters would automatically condemn them. I tend to be middle of the road with Apple.
I had a Zune and was happy with it. When it died I bought a 160 GB iPod Classic. It is better built and more intuitive than the Zune. Unfortunately you have to use it with iTunes, which I find unintuitive and more difficult to use than the Zune Marketplace. For example, with the Zune all I had to do was add new music to my music folder and the next time I connected my Zune it would automatically sync the music and add it to my Zune. With iTunes I have to find each album, or song, and manually add them to my iTunes Music Library.
My point, as I ramble on, is that people should read the article research it, share their findings with others and then discuss the ramifications. I find it amazing that so many people are polarized by their beliefs and are unwilling to change them no matter what the facts or which side of the discussion they are on. On second thought I should not be amazed when I look at the current state of the US Government.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 03:41 PM   #27
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Looking back to the thread, most of the comments supporting Apple appears to be more of the "I had an iPod during that time period and that wasn't my experience" rather than automatically defending Apple. My initial reaction had nothing to do with Apple and everything to do with the current issue with class action law suits in America today. Rather than a method for making whole people who have been harmed, it seems to be mostly about lawyers trying to get rich.

It says quite a lot about the current system that a case can last for 10 years before it comes out that the plaintiffs were never harmed. The case should have been tossed by the judge during the initial hearing years ago. I kind of wonder if anyone is in the process of suing Apple or Amazon because the hacks on the iPhone and Kindle get over written with the next update.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #28
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Class action lawsuits are not about the defendants and the harm caused them. It is about the lawyers and how many millions they are going to make off of the case.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:33 AM   #29
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I put this up for discussion and clarification. I knew people would and should question the article. But, isn't it funny that the Apple lovers automatically defend Apple no matter what. And the Apple haters would automatically condemn them. I tend to be middle of the road with Apple.
I had a Zune and was happy with it. When it died I bought a 160 GB iPod Classic. It is better built and more intuitive than the Zune. Unfortunately you have to use it with iTunes, which I find unintuitive and more difficult to use than the Zune Marketplace. For example, with the Zune all I had to do was add new music to my music folder and the next time I connected my Zune it would automatically sync the music and add it to my Zune. With iTunes I have to find each album, or song, and manually add them to my iTunes Music Library.
My point, as I ramble on, is that people should read the article research it, share their findings with others and then discuss the ramifications. I find it amazing that so many people are polarized by their beliefs and are unwilling to change them no matter what the facts or which side of the discussion they are on. On second thought I should not be amazed when I look at the current state of the US Government.
Apache
I have an iPod Classic 160gb (now sadly discontinued by Apple). Although I have iTunes on my system (so I can update my iPod if needed), I've been using MediaMonkey (MM) to manage the music on my iPod and I've had the same experience with MM compared to iTunes that you had with the Zune Marketplace.

I've found that MM works as well with my iPod as iTunes does, and in many ways it works better than iTunes. Among the ways it works better are: autoplaylists (it takes much more work to create the same autoplaylists in iTunes than it does in MM), the ability to skin (I've found the color scheme of iTunes to be so glaring that I have to turn down the brightness to use it comfortably), and the ability to edit and manage your music collection.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:54 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire1 View Post
I've found the color scheme of iTunes to be so glaring that I have to turn down the brightness to use it comfortably
Huh? iTunes is virtually all grey-scales. Screenshot of mine attached, and I haven't changed the colours from the default. What's glaring about it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	itunes.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	132147  
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote