Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #1
hamedavatar
hamedavatar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Unhappy Still have a problem with installing fonts in my device

Hi my friends
I'm totally newbie in this forum and I have a problem with my prst1 since My language is Persian I really like to read my own language epub but I saw words like ???? in the device i Followed what guys just said but I dont know where i do wrong. Here is what I do:
(Since I just bought the device I dont have any sdcard in it)
After making a folder named "fonts" on the same directory as "Sony_Reader" & "DCIM" I copied two fonts "BADR.TTF" & "BADRB.TTF" ( first one for normal and second for bold)

then i added my epub in calibre and i clicked on "convert books" then on "look and feel"and then in "extra CSS" box I wrote these lines:

@font-face {
font-family: "BADR";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/fonts/BADR.TTF);
}
@font-face {
font-family: "BADR";
font-weight: bold;
font-style: normal;
src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/fonts/BADRB.TTF);
}
then I clicked on "OK"

after that I opened the directory where calibre converted epub and I copied it in the devise ( if the epub position in the device is important tell me please!!!)

but I still see ????
what is my mistake?
what does this path means : src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/fonts/BADRB.TTF) ? I dont have any folder called "ebook" or "mnt" or "sdcard" or ".." !!!
thanks
hamedavatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I'm afreaid have no experience with Persian fonts, but try these @font-face statements in ExtraCSS when you do your calibre conversion:
Code:
@font-face {
font-family: serif, sans-serif, monospace;
font-weight: normal;
src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/fonts/BADR.TTF)
}

@font-face {
font-family: serif, sans-serif, monospace;
font-weight: bold;
src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/fonts/BADRB.TTF)
}

body, body.calibre, body.calibre1, body.calibre2, body.calibre3 {
    font-family: serif
}
If it still doesn't work with your particular epub it will probably be because the css inside the epub contains font-family: statements which are overriding the above @font-face statements which you are putting in ExtraCSS (there are things you can do to rectify this but take one step at a time).

Forgive my ignorance, but this customising font method will only display properly for left-to-right languages. Is Persian left-to-right or right-to-left?

Quote:
I dont have any folder called "ebook" or "mnt" or "sdcard" or ".." !!!
You may not think you have this directory, but you DO have it. What you see as /fonts on your PC the PRST1 firmware sees as res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/fonts. In other words what you see as the root directory of internal memory can also be accessed by the PRST1 as res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard

P.S. Why are you not using calibre to transfer your epubs to the PRST1? You lose a lot of calibre bells and whistles if you drag-and-drop
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
hamedavatar
hamedavatar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Thanks

Thanks my friend. It was a huge step for me since with your suggestion I at least see the characters but as you mentioned it is in the reverse order like "KOOB" instead of "BOOK"
do you have any other idea or suggestion to fix it?
hamedavatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I believe some people who read other right-to-left languages, e.g. Hebrew, create pdfs (correctly sized for a 6" reader) rather than epubs, but I have no experience myself. If you go this route I don't think calibre is the best tool for creating pdfs.

If you have the finances I believe the PocketBook range of ereaders will read some right-to-left languages. Whether Persian is one of them, I don't know.

Try a forum search for 'Hebrew' to see if you can dig up one of the threads which discussed the general problem in more detail.

Sorry I can't give you more detailed advice. Maybe someone who knows more than me will drop by.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #5
skware1
skware1 can extract oil from cheeseskware1 can extract oil from cheeseskware1 can extract oil from cheeseskware1 can extract oil from cheeseskware1 can extract oil from cheeseskware1 can extract oil from cheeseskware1 can extract oil from cheeseskware1 can extract oil from cheeseskware1 can extract oil from cheese

Device: JB Lite, PRS300, Pocket Edge, Libre Pro, PD Novel 6" SiPix, Aura HD
The Ectaco JetBook Lite supports "eBook contents in lbanian, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, English, Faeroese, innish, French, Galician, German, Icelandic, Italian, orwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Croatian, Czech, Estonian, Hungarian, Latvian, Lithuanian,
Polish, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian and
other European languages, additionally, jetBook
supports Arabic, FARSI, Vietnamese and Hebrew."

Or it says at:
<http://www.jr.com/ectaco/pe/ECT_JBOOKLITEWH/>
where, incidentally, the JBL is on sale for $90.

Great little reader. JBL was my first reader (I now
have six) and I still use it a lot. A very convenient
size to carry around.
skware1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2012, 05:46 PM   #6
skware1
skware1 can extract oil from cheeseskware1 can extract oil from cheeseskware1 can extract oil from cheeseskware1 can extract oil from cheeseskware1 can extract oil from cheeseskware1 can extract oil from cheeseskware1 can extract oil from cheeseskware1 can extract oil from cheeseskware1 can extract oil from cheese

Device: JB Lite, PRS300, Pocket Edge, Libre Pro, PD Novel 6" SiPix, Aura HD
That previous message SHOULD have read like this. Can you believe I once worked for ten years as a typesetter? Non-computerized, however...

Quote:
The Ectaco JetBook Lite supports "eBook contents in Albanian, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, English, Faeroese, Finnish, French, Galician, German, Icelandic, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Spanish, Swedish, Croatian, Czech, Estonian, Hungarian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Polish, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian and other European languages, additionally, JetBook supports Arabic, FARSI, Vietnamese and Hebrew."
skware1 is offline   Reply With Quote