Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 05:39 AM   #31
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
AFAIK - you will also have to re-install each plug in that you use

dunno why that is, ( why don't they auto-re-install from app data folder ??? ) but pretty sure it is true
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #32
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
AFAIK - you will also have to re-install each plug in that you use

dunno why that is, ( why don't they auto-re-install from app data folder ??? ) but pretty sure it is true
I do not think that will be necessary if you have EXACTLY the same path for both your Calibre Library and Configuration folders on the new machine. If either of those change then a plugin re-install is going to be necessary.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2011, 02:40 AM   #33
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
May be it's as well a good idea to save the setup file of the same calibre version. Some people are not going with all updates or restoring an old back-up (for what ever reason).
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:13 AM   #34
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
I wanted to clarify about plug ins. If I fail to keep the same path for calibre and need to reinstall them, will my configuration in plug in will be lost? For example I have goodreads sync plug in and it has a lot of sync actions I wrote in it. Will they be lost? All modifications lost? Or are their settings saved separately and will remain even if path changes and I need to reinstall plug ins.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 10:56 AM   #35
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
In case anyone will need the info.
So I reinstalled everything. I copied book files and calibre files from roaming. It all works. I didn't reinstall plug ins. They work without that. Maybe I should, I don't know. Seems pointless. They all work (gooodeads sync, reading list, pages count, isbn extract, views etc)

Had a little scare with main library (I have one more for dupes). It didn't recognize that library moved and I had to show it manually where it is.
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2012, 09:31 AM   #36
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7 16GB
This information really needs to be in:
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....o-i-backup-app

Just doing a reinstall today, so was wondering about plugin settings, and if they would be saved, when copying over that folder, seems like they will but it's not really clear, and with the " not officially supported" I imagine a some will be worried.

Ps - Having this C:\Users\....\AppData\Roaming\calibre written in the help file, would have saved me 5min
I know it tells you how to get to that folder - but thats of little use if you have booted into a new Drive sans calibre and are browsing old HD for data.
transmitthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #37
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Plugins will only work if all your configuration directories end up in *exactly* the same path as they were previously. So if you used a different user name, or a different variant of Windows for instance, this would not be the case and they won't work.

The reason for this when I last looked at this a while ago is that there was at least one calibre configuration file which stored full file paths to the plugins, hence why they need to be in exactly the same place.

So if for instance you moved from Vista to Win 7, or installed under a different user account then your paths to the plugins will be different requiring the plugins to be reinstalled. However the plugins themselves (or certainly the ones I have written) are self contained. You could then (after reinstalling plugins and closing calibre) copy the various .json files for a plugin (like "Goodreads Sync.json") into that plugins configuration folder, which would to keep whatever settings you had previously. That should work fine.

The only real problem scenario I can think of for some of the plugins is if for instance you end up creating a new library. This will give you a new library identifier, and as a number of the plugins like Reading List and Kindle Collections store library specific settings, then just copying across the .json files won't allow you to utilise those. If you were particularly keen and careful you could get in there and edit the .json files but it is a worst case scenario.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #38
transmitthis
Addict
transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.transmitthis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, that's some of the issues I was concerned with,
Do all plugin authors follow your example - may have issues with that.

While I am installing on the same hardware, and same OS, Just moving from a single 1.5GB to 2 drives (so I can use a 3TB without upgrading MB) anyway I imagine some of those are going to be different, due to different HD lettering, or capitalising on Username, if something can go wrong it probably will...

Anyway, personally I'm just wanting to make sure I keep my "reading list", so after I reinstall the app, I'll reinstall the plugin and copy over the relevant data from the original roaming folder.

It just all sounds a little confusing, for what is really something that a lot of new users will want to do, ie backup / reinstall and have all their settings there.
Maybe there is something that can be done to make it easier? Could there be a import/export for plugin data - or maybe have it Required to be stored self contained like you do.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:23 AM   #39
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitthis View Post
It just all sounds a little confusing, for what is really something that a lot of new users will want to do, ie backup / reinstall and have all their settings there.
Maybe there is something that can be done to make it easier? Could there be a import/export for plugin data - or maybe have it Required to be stored self contained like you do.
The portable version of Calibre works quite well and it makes backing up and transferring your full Calibre install (program, settings, library) very, very easy.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:11 AM   #40
transmitthis
Addict

Well Said, It's what I use now too.
No reason not to use it in place of the desktop version.
Much prefer to be doing other things than working out what files are part of which settings for what program

Defiantly recommend Portable version to anyone
http://calibre-ebook.com/download_portable