Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #16
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
haha!
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #17
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Independence Center in Independence, MO according to the video description.

@tvpupsik: you guys are charging $10 more for it and have done away with the free shipping?
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 05:53 PM   #18
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
I went to the Independence Center and I got to play with an IQ. They aren't actually selling them yet because there is a new firmware coming out next week that is supposed to fix some stuff. The guy at the kiosk was very nice and helpful, but he is self-admittedly new to ebook readers, so I actually knew at least as much as he did.

He said the kiosk in Seattle is open, but not where it is.

Anyway, here follows a brief report. I apologize for no pictures, but my cell phone is an antique without a camera:

This is being marketed as an Android device, competing with Ipad (or at least reading is only one of many things it does.)
On the homepage is, among other things, a section for Bookland with three tabs (Bestsellers [I think], Books, and Periodicals) that will take you to the site. Unfortunately, they show the covers of said books and periodicals...in Russian. The clerk and I couldn't figure out how to change this to English, but he's going to look into it.
It does indeed come loaded with hundreds of English PD books. I couldn't verify any other languages except Russian. But there are loads of language options when you set it up.
The three buttons at the bottom do not have anything to do with turning pages, nor did I see any option to map them in Settings. The center one takes you to the Home page, the right button takes you up one level (say back to the folder your book is in), and I forgot what the left button does--but nothing specific to the ereader. However, at the bottom of the page, rather like what comes up in fbreader on the 360 but narrower top to bottom, is a section that lets you change the font size, and there are also arrows you can touch to change the page forward or back. The arrows work pretty quickly, I thought. The appearance is of sliding to the left or right, more like a scroll than a book with pages. But it's something i got used to very quickly--no problem.
The swiping also turns pages, but it did seem a little slow to me.
The PD books I looked at were easy to read in terms of reflow, clarity of font, etc. I didn't have a chance to play around enough to see if there was more than one reader option, but I'm guessing that it comes with only the Android reader whatever it's called and will read different formats without you having to select anything.
It comes loaded with lots of Android apps, and has a g-sensor. One of the apps it comes with is a level--so you can tell if your reading desk is level, I guess!
It also comes with the apps you would expect--a calendar, a calculator, and a note taking app. I didn't find out if you can use it to take notes while you read. You can either draw on the screen using your finger or a stylus (I don't think it is provided) or use the qwerty keyboard.
The wifi at the mall is pretty slow, so I didn't try anything involving going online, but the guy's daughter was playing with it when I arrived, and she was online at the Disney site, so I know it works.
The screen has a brightness setting that seemed to go from very dark to very bright--so you can save your battery by turning it down when you don't need it to be bright. The clerk thought he had found a way while playing with it to reverse the background and print--ie black background and white print for reading in the dark, but he was unable to reproduce it, so I am unable to verify. It may well have been on one of the other readers he had.

That's about all I remember off the top of my head; I might remember more later.

All in all, I think it's worth $140 plus tax or shipping. So I'm going back when it's actually available to purchase.
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 06:53 PM   #19
CalvinL
Enthusiast
CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Thanks for your report!
Just one question. Is the touch screen resistive?
CalvinL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #20
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
To the best of my knowledge it is resistive. But especially using the "arrows/buttons" it was pretty responsive.
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #21
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
It is resistive.
And the difference in response between taps and swipes is typical of resistive screens and not a reflection of the CPU or software.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #22
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Is it a good thing that it's resistive? I don't know much about screens...
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:05 PM   #23
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
speed, capacitive screens are better, but aren't ever going to show up on a device this inexpensive (lots of people were surprised the Nook2 had them at $250). Resistive screens work just fine if they're calibrated well.

If the IQ works well as a reader and does a reasonable job as a browser, it is a real bargain. (I'm dying to hear if it can handle scanned/OCR'd PDF documents)

Once it ships we'll get some reviews and know a lot more. I am very optimistic and hope to get one.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #24
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
You'll be happy to know that three different market-apps are built in with the device, so you'll surely find a proper program for your needs
That would be great. Midterms are coming up and I'd love it if I could put the IQ in my purse and only worry about juggling 40 exam booklets. If they fall, they won't break like a laptop would. And on the weekends when I head home, I can plug in my headphones, turn on TTS, and enjoy the ride.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #25
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It's too bad there aren't dedicated paging buttons as everything else looks good enough to buy, just from that video.
There is an option of paging "buttons" on the screen itself. I took three pics to show that: one in Day Light reading mode and one in the Night Light mode. Triangles on the bottom of the screen are used as paging buttons (backward and forward).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IQ_Read1.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	61309   Click image for larger version

Name:	IQ_Read2.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	61310   Click image for larger version

Name:	IQ_Read3_night.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	61311  
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #26
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpupsik View Post
There is an option of paging "buttons" on the screen itself.
Thanks for the pics.
Alas, I'm no fan of bottom-mounted paging controls.
That is one of several reasons I won't touch a Sony reader, any model, and love the PB360. (I'm a big believer in one-handed controls.)
That is the same reason I found the prototype 901 just fine and the final version 902/903 merely acceptable.

Sorry!

I'm just finicky about ergonomics.
Not ready to give up on the IQ but to be honest if it had paging buttons I would've already bought it sight unseen. The PB base software is a strong draw but if I'm going to be reading one it for hours at a time...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #27
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

tvpupsik, have you spent any time reading on the IQ? If so, how do your eyes feel?
Old 11-16-2010, 07:43 PM   #28
tvpupsik
Addict
tvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enoughtvpupsik will become famous soon enough

Device: PB 360, PB 602, PB IQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
tvpupsik, have you spent any time reading on the IQ? If so, how do your eyes feel?
speedtouch, no, I haven't read on the IQ yet. Personally for me the device is a bit heavy and to tell the truth I am an E-Ink fan, so I am hesitating to try reading on IQ But of course eventually I will try it to have my own judgment
P.S. In the past I've read one book on my Samsung Galaxy phone and I didn't like the experience comparing to reading on E-Ink screen.
tvpupsik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:52 PM   #29
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvpupsik View Post
speedtouch, no, I haven't read on the IQ yet. Personally for me the device is a bit heavy and to tell the truth I am an E-Ink fan, so I am hesitating to try reading on IQ But of course eventually I will try it to have my own judgment
P.S. In the past I've read one book on my Samsung Galaxy phone and I didn't like the experience comparing to reading on E-Ink screen.
I know what you mean. I am worried that I won't like to read using the IQ. I know I do not like to read for hours on my computer's LCD monitor. It just doesn't feel right.

I adore my 301+ and going from eInk to LCD probably won't be a good thing. Though, I could get an IQ just to do tablet-type of activites...like web browsing, email, etc.