Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-26-2010, 02:47 PM   #16
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I don't use whispernet at all, even though it is free for US customers I like to keep all my books in Calibre, so I just download to my computer and then move it to my kindle when I want to read it. I have 1000 books in Calibre, but only 24 books on my kindle.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 03:21 PM   #17
LUW
Ex-paperboy
LUW began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Thanks for the feedback!
I also don't think I'll need ALL my books on the K2, just a few that I read, the one I'm reading and a few more in line to be read. I really want the K2 to basically read books. Whatever else function can be done with the device will be just a curiosity for me. Well, I have to admit that the ability to access Wikipedia will be cool .

Though I hate to recognize, I'm fairly anal about my gadgets, so some form of cover or case is a must for me. Right now I'm thinking about a M-Edge Leisure Jacket like this:

I think it will keep the K2 fairly protected and I can even read directly even with the case on, which is a bonus. I also saw some so cool skins, like yours, Sydney's Mom, and I think I can fit the K2 with the skin in the Leisure Jacket. And what about those hard cases, made of transparent acrylic or lexan or something like that. Does anyone use one of those that can comment?
LUW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:41 PM   #18
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I strongly recommend you try out your kindle before you order a case. I liked to use my K1 one way, and I had recently bought a new cover for it that I was planning to convert for my K2, and then I found I like reading the K2 outside the cover. Hence the skin, which is keeps off the fingerprints.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:28 PM   #19
LUW
Ex-paperboy

SM, the good thing about the LJ is that if I don't like the feeling of reading through the case, I can always remove the K2 to the open. Or do you think it doesn't offer protection enough?

About the skin, yeah I want it to keep fingerprints off the device, but also because it makes the K2 look cool. And even less nerdy . What can I say? My mental age didn't keep up with my chronogical age .
Old 01-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #20
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUW View Post
TRight now I'm thinking about a M-Edge Leisure Jacket like this:
Haven't used (or seen in person) the Leisure, but M-Edge make excellent products - I use their Latitude case, and I'm very happy with it.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 08:23 PM   #21
metph86
metph86 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Hi! Hope you will be very happy with your kindle, i certainly am with mine

actually, books can be way more expensive outside the US! i live in France and amazon wanted to charge me US$13,60 for the Kindle Edition of "Negotiation" of the Harvard Business Essentials Series instead of US$9,56 in the US. that's 4$ more!! Too much for what it is, considering the paperback costs 13,50 too.

I simply added a US address to my account and temporarily changed the region as well to USA et voila, i was able to buy the book for 9,56 and got it on my kindle DX. now that on the other hand is REALLY cheap in €
metph86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:26 PM   #22
LUW
Ex-paperboy

I can't understand why Amazon does this since it's so easy to get around the extra charge (took me less then one morning to figure it out) .
Old 01-27-2010, 05:16 AM   #23
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
I can't understand why Amazon does this since it's so easy to get around the extra charge (took me less then one morning to figure it out) .
I would say it is the roaming fee cause you have to pay 1.99 $ extra each time if you want to transfer your (cheap) book to the kindle via Whispernet.

Maybe they don't care for the lower price you pay cause they don't earn much with their free-whipsernet-as-often-as-you-want-tranfer-package with the higher price?
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:11 AM   #24
LUW
Ex-paperboy

Whispernet costs, without a doubt, have something to do with this. Somebody has to pick up the tab, and after all, Amazon wants profits, so if they minimize their costs they will maximize profits.

But if that is true, why not just say so? "We'll have to charge for d/l if you use Whispernet". That's my point, put it in the open, and everyone knows what they're paying for.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #25
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Whispernet costs, without a doubt, have something to do with this. Somebody has to pick up the tab, and after all, Amazon wants profits, so if they minimize their costs they will maximize profits.

But if that is true, why not just say so? "We'll have to charge for d/l if you use Whispernet". That's my point, put it in the open, and everyone knows what they're paying for.
Well, this is Amazon we'rre talking about...
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:27 AM   #26
LUW
Ex-paperboy

Touché .