Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
JanuaryF
Connoisseur
JanuaryF began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (Red)
Your first ebook

Hi all,

With Santa fast approaching (10 more sleeps, but who's counting), I am really hoping there will be a shiny new reader under the tree with my name on it. This will be my first ebook reader, and I'm already trying to figure out what the first book I read on it will be. Right now I'm thinking "Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss - I am longing to read it again, and I think it would be a great starting point.

Yes, I obsess about weird things - like my first ebook. I'm sure my husband could give you an entertaining list.

This got me wondering - what was the first book you read in ebook format, and was there a reason you picked that book? OK - asking the reason is a bit strange, I know.

Jan
JanuaryF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll. When I first found the goldmine of Project Gutenberg, it was a childhood favourite I read to test things out.

First on my Palm m125 back in the day was another favorite, Wuthering Heights. First on the iPod Touch was (I think) a Star Trek novel. First on the Sony was A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert L. Stevenson. Poetry in proper lines! And with graphics! That was the true benefit of the Sony over the iPod Touch for me.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Interesting topic, Jan!
You know, for the life of me, I can't remember. You'd think I should but... Maybe it will come to me later.
Anyway, I remember the first book I read on my latest reader, the prs-600. It was Unseen Academicals, by Terry Pratchett, which I enjoyed immensely, and which gave me plenty opportunities to try out the cool dictionary function (there are so many words I can roughly guess at their meaning from the context, but knowing their precise definition is so much better).
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
When I got my Kindle, I was given a GC to Amazon as well..........I downloaded Ray Bradbury's "Farewell Summer" immediately. For some reason, he allowed it to be published as an e-book, but not any of the others, except one short story..

Yes...I know all about his feelings on ebooks!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Alice in Wonderland as well, because it was on the original Rocket eBook.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
kilohertz53
Zealot
kilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enoughkilohertz53 will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-350, Augen "The Book"
My first was Dracula by Bram Stoker, from Project Gutenberg. I read it using a text display program called muchmore on my Amiga 3000. Good story, but reading that large a file off the screen gave me a crick in my neck.
kilohertz53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
No idea what the first one I read was...

But Evolution by Stephen Baxter was the first I ever bought...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The first book I read on my Kindle was Death by Black Hole: And Other Cosmic Quandaries by Neil deGrasse Tyson. I like science, and what better author could someone ask for than the man who, more than anyone else, destroyed the reputation of an entire planet? It was Tyson led the charge to kick Pluto out of the Solar System. Now that’s clout!

Don’t mess with Tyson—you see what happened to Pluto!

Because of that, he's probably the only astrophysicist who gets hate mail from third graders!

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 12-15-2009 at 01:21 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:20 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
My first wasAngels and Demons by Dan Brown. I was a quarter the way through the pBook version when I got my 505 and just could not wait to start using it so I bought the eBook version. Next was The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy which was a re-read.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
Mine was Pride and Prejudice. I'd read it several times, but never on a Reader
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Mine was the new (at the time) release from Shirley Rousseau Murphy, her Joe Grey series. I was fortunate that it was released about the same time as I got my EZ Reader last year. I had been obsessing over getting an ebook reader ever since I found out about them, and used Mobile Read to make an informed choice, and then had that file ready to load when my EZ Reader got here. I will never forget the pleasure of reading that on it!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 02:09 PM   #12
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
My first read (and purchase) was The Complete Collection of Sherlock Holmes.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #13
BeccaAnn
Groupie
BeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enoughBeccaAnn will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
I can't remember exactly but it was either a Miss Marple mystery or one of Jayne Ann Krentz's novels.
BeccaAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:31 PM   #14
seagull
Addict
seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.seagull considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
I'm getting my Kindle for Christmas. Not sure what I'll read, I'd like to read something short, well something that I could finish in one day anyway before I start on something big. I think I might start with A Christmas Carol just to be cliche, or maybe Animal Farm or Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.
seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #15
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
While I don't remember specifically which book it was, it was something by Anne McCaffrey; one of her Pern (dragon riders) books.
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote