Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Serial numbers of returned PWs

Hi,

If you jotted down the serial numbers of the defective units you have sent back, could you post the first four and the last three characters here? They have a total of 16 characters. Also mention what kind of PW it was (Wifi, Wifi SO, 3G, 3G SO). I am hoping that by not posting the entire number, the info here cannot be used to scam a anyone, but if you can think of a better way to do this, let me know.

Since some of us have received 5 units or more, this list could help us identify refurbished units that were sent out as "new" replacements.

I'll go look for mine now.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Shoot, I can't find my old numbers anywhere. I never even had the presence of mind to write them down.

I'll add my current ones once they are on the way back to Amazon.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I have returned two. I'll see if I can find the number from the first one. The number on the second one I returned:

First 4:
B024

Last 3:
0L7

It was a wi-fi unit bought with SO's. (I removed the SO's)
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Shoot, I can't find my old numbers anywhere. I never even had the presence of mind to write them down.

I'll add my current ones once they are on the way back to Amazon.
Same here, I tried everything I could think of to trace back the serial numbers but failed. I've got the order numbers and return authorization numbers, but no way to retrieve the serial numbers that I can find.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
I'm sure I still have the serial number for Hole-y Mole-y in the config section of a certain software program, and when I get home I'll look it up. I wouldn't be surprised if one of you received my defective PW.

Ok, the first 4 are:B024
and the last 3 are: 42N

And the one I just returned to Staples was B024...GW0

Last edited by NNolan; 11-09-2012 at 05:41 PM.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
xendula
eBookworm

I just returned 4:

1: B01B .... 3FN
2: B01B .... 13C
3: B01B .... 0A2
4: B024 .... B64
Old 11-09-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The last one I returned was:

BO24 ....B2Q
Old 11-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
So does this mean when I receive my "new" paperwhite next month it could be a refurb????
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #9
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Quote:
Originally Posted by new View Post
So does this mean when I receive my "new" paperwhite next month it could be a refurb????
We are moreso referring to people that are getting replacements for their original PW. Some of us have received returns as our replacements, even though we were still within 30 days or our original order.

If you order your PW new, I think you'll be fine.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #10
xendula
eBookworm

Ditto. This is just a tiny tiny list so at least we have something to go by. I am done with replacements and am glad I settled on the devices I needed, but I would hate if someone received any of the ones I sent back instead of a new one.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:45 AM   #11
randomzombie
Enthusiast
randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.

Device: current: Aura HD
New poster here. Let's still try and figure this out.
First : B0** *501 2394 0M2X
Second: B0** *502 2484 0ECP
Third : B0** *501 2415 041D

All asterisks are the same numbers. The first four digits fully are B024 for all three.
The first replacement, i.e. the second one shipped is the best of the three. It is also the highest in number. BUT. It is still blotchy and has light leaks going up to the middle of the screen. Gonna try another return and then just might give up.
randomzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:39 AM   #12
randomzombie
Enthusiast
randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.randomzombie can eat soup with a fork.

Device: current: Aura HD
Okay. Here's a picture of my SNs. I have nothing to lose, really, by posting it.

To clarify: The 3rd is the one I'm using, and is of the "best" quality so far (i.e. it is BRIGHTER, anyway, but still discolored throughout) it has the greatest SN number of the 4 listed.

The 1st and 4th (the "2nd" and "3rd," also to clarify, are other non-PW Kindles) are dimmer and also discolored and have very similar SNs.

The 5th is coming in the mail tomorrow. Despite the fact that I've not yet received it, I have access to its SN at the "Manage My Devices" page. So get this, the 5th looks like it was the unit manufactured directly prior to the 4th, the one I sent back yesterday? I would imagine that the closeness in SN would at least indicate it is of the same batch as the flawed 4th. Sigh. We will see!

Now, can anyone help me, please? I know I'm a relative newcomer here, but I've been lurking for a while. I know some of you have *finally* received "good" PWs. What does that mean for you? No discoloration whatsoever? Xendula, you seem similarly sensitive to the problem but have found a good one as I'd seen you'd mentioned in another post. To what extent is it closer to perfect? Could you say if your SN is at least a greater number than any of the ones in the picture?

Sigh. I'm getting tired of working for this!

p.s. Nice to meet you all?
randomzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 12:08 PM   #13
xendula
eBookworm

Randomzombie,welcome to MR? It is probably not wise to post your full S/Ns, you may want to mask some of the numbers!!

My PW is 2422, so not a greater number, if they are in chronological order at all. It has a very very very faint color issue, so it's close to perfect. The other two that I got as exchanges and held on to are: one with an overall light pink shade (but almost no green, so somewhat stomachable) and one with very faint blotches and a pin holeon the screen. With ambient light, you almost can't tell, but I read a lot in complete darkness, and there it's more noticeable. I had a total of 9 units in my hands, and I know how you feel about the constant replacements, but the software of the PW is just awesome, so I kept trying for a better screen. I am so glad I did not give up - I love my PW.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:44 PM   #14
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
randomzombie, nice to meet you as well. My Kindle which was sent out in the first batch, is a "good" unit without any discoloration at all, so don't put too much weight into serial numbers.

I hope that Kindle #5 is the one you've been waiting for
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #15
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered

Welcome to mobileread, randomzombie. Best of luck with your next PW, I hope you're able to get a good one. It took me awhile too, but I finally got one that I am pretty happy with, although it's not absolutely perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Randomzombie,welcome to MR? It is probably not wise to post your full S/Ns, you may want to mask some of the numbers!!

My PW is 2422
Mine is 2423. hehe. Did you ever post a pic of your good PW, xendula? I'd be curious to see it. They got a new batch of PW's in at my local Best Buy and despite mine being very good, I'm still tempted to buy one just to see how it compares.