Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 03-01-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
zen123
zen123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, ipad
Mobi-de-drm on kindle stopped working

Hi there,

I've been using the mobi-dedrm plugin for calibre to remove the drm from books I've bought in the kindle store. So far it worked very well - I would download the book in 'kindle for mac', add it to calibre, which then - through the plugin - removed the drm. All of a sudden, this has stopped working. With all the files I now download from amazon I cannot remove the drm.

I went into my backups and found a kindle file which still had the drm on it from a couple of weeks ago. If I import this to calibre, it DOES remove the drm - but if I redownload the same title from the kindle store now, I cannot do it. So, it seems as if amazon has changed something on their end. Anyone have the same problem? Or, know any possible solutions?
zen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:18 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Apprentice Alf's Blog for any updates (tools_v3.7.zip).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:34 AM   #3
zen123

Ah, cheers, that did the trick. I only started using this two weeks ago, so I didn't assume that there would already be an update. Apparently there was.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:40 AM   #4
zen123

Just out of interest - does anyone know why this happens? Does amazon regularly make changes to nature of their drm encryption, or is it something else?
Old 03-01-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Does amazon regularly make changes to nature of their drm encryption, or is it something else?
This is the first real change that I know of since the 2.5 firmware update. So it was fairly stable for a while. Hopefully things will be quiet for a while, but one never knows.

Add a certain blog post's comments feed to your RSS feed reader, in order to keep abreast of necessary updates.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote