Old 01-09-2007, 11:53 AM   #16
Peaston Ewe
RunSton-Run
Peaston Ewe began at the beginning.

Device: Waiting for a Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by each
// threads merged

News from CES 2007, iRiver seems to launch its own eink technology ebook reader device.

iRiver's prototype E-BOOk reader comes swathed in luxurious leather, features side-by-side dual touch sensitive e-ink screens, and uses AAA batteries for up to 6 months battery life (we didn't find out how many turns). From couple of pictures, it looks like iRiver also includes FM and MP3 playback in its new ebook gadget. iRiver still isn't even sure if they're going to launch this thing at home or abroad.
Too big of a deal, too much of a gadget just to read and it will probably be expensive gadget just to read ! No thanks. Sony has no worry here. What happens to simplicity? the Reader has the simplicity of just pick it up and go.
Peaston Ewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:09 PM   #17
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Yes but you have the added task of protecting the screen!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2007, 12:40 PM   #18
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
The regular cover is enough for me for now Mr Box-maker.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 01:23 PM   #19
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
iRiver usually produces great products (still got my iHP-140). I'm not sure that there's a real point here in having 2 screens though... It seems that the trend for e-ink readers is just beginning, we'll see more and more of these devices in the upcoming months.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:02 PM   #20
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
The regular cover is enough for me for now Mr Box-maker.
I was thinking more of a clamshell like cover as in a Zaurus.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2007, 04:29 PM   #21
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
Hmmm.... I think I like the two screens and the clamshell design. Although it would depend on how heavy it is. Anything heavier than a large paperback would put me off. But I can see the advantages such a device could have.

I multitask a lot on my computer. I have two 19 inch monitors connected and I wouldn't want to go back to only one. I find this setup invaluable when I am proofreading. Tiff images or Abby Fine Reader on one screen and FrontPage or Word on the other. I am getting a new computer shortly that has a graphics card capable of displaying three monitors. Knowing me, I shall probably use a third one too.

Last edited by Moonraker; 01-09-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:49 PM   #22
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
does anybody have more specific hardware information like resolution, grey scales etc. etc.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:50 AM   #23
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack
does anybody have more specific hardware information like resolution, grey scales etc. etc.
I think we're still pretty much in the dark. My guess: the "typical" 6-in 800x600 display with 4 grey scales, if it's using E Ink.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:44 AM   #24
Snibril
Snibril began at the beginning.

I strongly doubt that the "double display = double costs" formula holds true. The price for epaper is nowhere in the range of LCDs but way cheaper.

I remember reading an article on the prospects of eInk about a year ago. There, the estimated (future) Production costs for one square meter was about 35 or 70$ (my memory is really not that exact, but it was astoundingly cheap)! Mind you, that was the price for full scale production, not the intitial rollout, but it gives an idea of what to expect in the coming years.

And that will more likely be pimped wallpapers than gadgets that fit in your pocket.

Personally, i think i will be quite happy with my Sony Reader (when it arrives in a few days, YES!), but among some friends who aren't into mobile reading, the "bookishness" of the BOOK2 was way more attractive to them than that of my cherished Sony Reader [sniff].

So, in a few years, i hope to be able to buy a 200-pages ebook reader (will instantly zap one third of your battery juice, but hey, that's browsable eBooks for you ;-).
Snibril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:49 AM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snibril
So, in a few years, i hope to be able to buy a 200-pages ebook reader (will instantly zap one third of your battery juice, but hey, that's browsable eBooks for you ;-).
Now that's an intriguing idea. Of course if it's 200 pages thick, they'll have plenty of space for a nice big battery in the spine, so maybe it'll only zap 1/6th of your battery per refresh.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:32 PM   #26
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Hmm, 200 page Reader, with Wifi. Imagine an Encyclopedia of Wikipedia book that the pages auto-refresh over Wifi based on web content updates.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:52 PM   #27
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Here is one benefit about the double page.... You are reading one page while it updates the other. Also if turn on its side could split the document. AKA 800 x 1200 so to speak.

But I though this was just a prototype for them.. Nothing planed so to speak?
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:45 PM   #28
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaping Gnome
Hmm, 200 page Reader, with Wifi. Imagine an Encyclopedia of Wikipedia book that the pages auto-refresh over Wifi based on web content updates.
While you're at it, imagine a voice actress hired on contract to read it out loud.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:25 PM   #29
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500

This would be great for those that like to read 2 books at once.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote