Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 04:35 AM   #16
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
'The Mark of the Red Thumb' by R. Austin Freeman - HarryT
'The Hunchback of Notre Dame' by Victor Hugo, 'Vanity Fair' by W. M Thackeray - Patricia
'Star Maker' by Olaf Stapledon - Crutledge

I'm sure there are others, but I can't recall them at the moment.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:03 AM   #17
dpierron
calibre2opds guru
dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.dpierron shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: iPhone, iPad, PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idoine View Post
Careful, for the Frenchies : As St Exupéry died during the 2nd WW, the delay in France is 100 years after his death ! (70+30)
I don't understand ? 70+30 ? Why ?
dpierron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 06:17 AM   #18
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Little Women & sequels
Jane Austin novels
Kai Lung's Golden Hours
Tom Jones
Some of the Rider Haggard anothologies
The Gift of the Magi
Good-bye, Mr Chips
Three Men in a Boat
Kim
David Balfour (Kidnapped & Catriona)
The Canterville Ghost

And looking through the list of books I've downloaded reminds me of many, many books from Mobileread that I'd like to get around to reading.

Thanks to all those who proof and format and upload.

Last edited by pdurrant; 07-21-2009 at 12:35 PM. Reason: finished "Three Men in a Boat"
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:59 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpierron View Post
I don't understand ? 70+30 ? Why ?
Just a quirk of French copyright law. If you died during WWII you get 30 years extra copyright term. Goodness knows why!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #20
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
What a neat thread! So far only a couple, a Max Brand western as Ihave never read him before, and Sherman's version of the Holy Bible. Will be doing a lot more now that I have the hang of it. Sincere appreciation for all the hard work everyone has done!
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2009, 01:27 PM   #21
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just a quirk of French copyright law. If you died during WWII you get 30 years extra copyright term. Goodness knows why!
I think it's just a way for the government to mark its aknowledgement for "services rendus" (favor ?) to the beneficiaries...
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:41 PM   #22
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hm, well my list would be long, if i could remember from the top of my head where i got all the free books from (mainly here and feedbooks, but also some other sources like ebooks libres et gratuits...) but let's see :
Topper - Thorne Smith by BenG (planning to read "Night life of the gods" too !)
tons of detective stories by Patricia, including books by
Dorothy L. Sayers
Anna Katherine Greene
some very interesting books about language by madam broshkina (and some others by madam broshkina too) notably "less than words can say" by Richard Mitchell. i highly recommend it. there are three by him available here (thanks madam b !) and the other two are on my list.
quite a lot of sagas and original fiction...

...and, well, tons more, but i have a terrible memory. i'm sure i'll think of more soon.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #23
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
I think my list is:
  • Chesterton: The Wisdom of Father Brown
  • Chesterton: The Scandal of Father Brown
  • Dumas: The Three Musketeers
  • Jane Austen: Mansfield Park
  • Jane Austen: Persuasion
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #24
carlobee
Fanatic
carlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-bookscarlobee has learned how to read e-books

Device: The new iPad
i do collect Sherlock Holmes. do you have any other recommendations for good books to read ?

carlobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you like Sherlock Holmes, try my E.W. Hornung "Raffles" omnibus (Hornung was Conan Doyle's brother in law, and wrote Raffles as an "anti-Holmes"), and the however many volumes it is I've posted of R. Austin Freeman's "Dr. Thorndyke" books. All are excellent.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:37 AM   #26
ladyjane
I hate to clean
ladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheeseladyjane can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, Acer NetBook
I have read so many from here the list would be to long . And I would personally like to thank all the people that have downloaded them, its nice to discover new authors that I have not read (ever) thanks for opening my eyes....
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #27
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
...and, well, tons more, but i have a terrible memory. i'm sure i'll think of more soon.
I forgot 'Three Men in a Boat' - and it was the last book I finished.

JSWolf
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:42 AM   #28
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I couldn't begin to say how many I have. I am greatly appreciative of everyone who uploads books, though.

Some favorites:

Harry's Sherlock Holmes Omnibus
Patricia's Little House and A Thousand Nights and a Night (Strange juxtaposition there)
The Altsheler books from several people
Three Men in a Boat and On the Brummel by Jon
Olaf Stapledon collection
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 08:29 AM   #29
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Actually I think it's not WWII but any war. So Apollinaire, who died in 1918, is _still_ not copyright free in France for instance.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:39 PM   #30
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Can anyone recommend some crime novels?
benham is offline   Reply With Quote