Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 03-07-2022, 08:22 AM   #1
dnavratil
dnavratil began at the beginning.

Device: Windows 10 Desktop Computer
Moving Calibre from Portable USB Drive to C Drive

I want to put Calibre on my W10 DT computer and stop using USB altogether!
I don't want to lose any of my keywords I've used and and my setup I have been using! Is there an easy way of doing this? I'm now using V5.35 on the USB drive. I've downloaded V5.37 and installed on my C Drive. What files do I have to move from my USB drive and where do I put them on the C Drive.
I'm 74 years old and some of this is very confusing! Thanks in advance, David N.
dnavratil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 10:50 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
76 here.
There are only TWO (top level) folders to copy ENTIRE CONTENTS over

Here is how I would do it:

STOP if anything fails (avoid making it worse and come back with the messages for help)

1) Install Calibre on the PC (Latest release that works for your OS version).
The typical W10 install is
Code:
C:\Users\yourlogonhere\Calibre Library
If it is NOT then you will need to Run Calibre, there should be only 1 book (the users guide by John): highlight that, Tap 'O'.
This opens the location. Go back 1 level, you should see just the files in the image. DO NOT do more if you see others you care about. they will be lost

2) Delete those. Remember the PATH to this folder. Exit Calibre (PC)

3)Using the OS browse to the Portable drive (see image:drive letter may be different), Open the Calibre Library folder: select ALL (ctrl-A):right-click:COPY:
Switch to the NEW/ Empty LIBRARY: Right-click: PASTE ... and let it grind (takes a bit of time for larger libraries, so grab a cuppa)

STOP if anything fails (avoid making it worse and come back with the messages for help)

OK, time to copy your User SETTINGS (AKA Configuration)
Open the Calibre Settings folder on the USB drive: Select all: COPY
Switch to your new drive
Like before,
the default is
Code:
C:\Users\yourlogonhere\AppData\Roaming\calibre
PASTE (OVERWRITE all if asked)

Last step: Start (new) Calibre: It might complain that xyz Library is not found and it will use... (should use the one you copied if default location) and you are good to go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Lib.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	192618   Click image for larger version

Name:	CPortable_drive.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	192619  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-07-2022, 11:32 AM   #3
dnavratil
dnavratil began at the beginning.

Device: Windows 10 Desktop Computer
The Ducks,
Strange thing just happened. I downloaded the latest version V5.38, Installed it on my W10 DT, opened the program and it instantly went to my cover view where I have all of my 200 read books. I checked out my keywords and added a book and all works perfect. I took out my USB drive before I made the installation of V5.38 to my desktop. It seems to work perfect. Thanks so much for your input, seniors have trouble with all this new tech.
(You should see me try to use a smart phone)!!! David N.
dnavratil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
desktop, transfer data, usb