Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-10-2021, 08:12 PM   #16
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
I can't dump partitions with EDL.

1) I installed Qualcomm 9008 drivers. I had to boot Windows 10 with "no signature check" to be able to use this driver, otherwise it shows with the exclamation mark in the Device manager.

2) Installed that UsbDkController and it shows the PID 9008 device just fine.

3) I put the Onyx into EDL mode via adb, and try this code, but says "Unknown mode, aborting":
Code:
$ ... python edl.py --loader=prog_emmc_ufs_firehose_Sdm636_ddr.elf

Qualcomm Sahara / Firehose Client V3.52 (c) B.Kerler 2018-2021.
main
main - [LIB]: Please first install libusb_win32 driver from Zadig
main - Using loader prog_emmc_ufs_firehose_Sdm636_ddr.elf ...
main - Waiting for the device
main - Device detected :)
main - Unknown mode. Aborting.
Can I fix this somehow?
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:52 PM   #17
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The .elf file is from here: https://github.com/OneLabsTools/Programmers
Advert
Old 08-10-2021, 10:00 PM   #18
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
The first thing is that the Sahara protocol (the initial protocol that runs out of the ROM) is stupid.
It's easy to get out of sync and have it stall.
That means, when you're experimenting and having problems it's best to do a hard reset then go to EDL mode fresh as an incomplete operation leaves it vegged.

The elf that I use (for Qualcomm 636) is this one:
https://github.com/bkerler/Loaders/b..._bqx2_peek.bin
The MD5 is 0f159e0b43ad95974e4ce507ee362aec

I remember there was another problem with a missing/incompatible DLL that wasn't error-messaged out very clearly.
Do you have something recent here:
Code:
Directory of C:\Windows\System32
12/11/2020  03:00           166,912 libusb-1.0.dll
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 10:47 PM   #19
mergen3107
Wizard

I didn't have any such file in C:\Windows\System32 , so I downloaded this: https://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb-win32/
Then used the bin/inf_ward.exe to create an inf file and still this driver, while Onyx was in edl mode. As a result "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM5)" in "Ports (COM & LPT)" was replaced by this driver "QUSB_BULK" (that was the default name in the inf_wizard.exe) in the libusb-win32 devices. The file libusb0.dll appeared in System32 as well.

The edl.py stopped complaining about "main - [LIB]: Please first install libusb_win32 driver from Zadig", but it still says "Unknown mode".
Old 08-10-2021, 10:49 PM   #20
mergen3107
Wizard

While the command of edl.py is running I hear that the device is disconnected and then connected again. Is this normal?
Advert
Old 08-10-2021, 10:56 PM   #21
mergen3107
Wizard

I did the same command but with --debugmode:
Spoiler:
[
CODE]
Qualcomm Sahara / Firehose Client V3.52 (c) B.Kerler 2018-2021.
main - Using loader prog_emmc_ufs_firehose_Sdm636_ddr.elf ...
main - Waiting for the device
UsbClass
UsbClass - [LIB]: No kernel driver supported: Operation not supported or unimplemented on this platform
UsbClass
UsbClass - [LIB]:  CONFIGURATION 1: 2 mA ====================================
bLength : 0x9 (9 bytes)
bDescriptorType : 0x2 Configuration
wTotalLength : 0x2c (44 bytes)
bNumInterfaces : 0x1
bConfigurationValue : 0x1
iConfiguration : 0x0
bmAttributes : 0xa0 Bus Powered, Remote Wakeup
bMaxPower : 0x1 (2 mA)
INTERFACE 0: Vendor Specific ===========================
bLength : 0x9 (9 bytes)
bDescriptorType : 0x4 Interface
bInterfaceNumber : 0x0
bAlternateSetting : 0x0
bNumEndpoints : 0x2
bInterfaceClass : 0xff Vendor Specific
bInterfaceSubClass : 0xff
bInterfaceProtocol : 0xff
iInterface : 0x0
ENDPOINT 0x81: Bulk IN ===============================
bLength : 0x7 (7 bytes)
bDescriptorType : 0x5 Endpoint
bEndpointAddress : 0x81 IN
bmAttributes : 0x2 Bulk
wMaxPacketSize : 0x400 (1024 bytes)
bInterval : 0x0
ENDPOINT 0x1: Bulk OUT ===============================
bLength : 0x7 (7 bytes)
bDescriptorType : 0x5 Endpoint
bEndpointAddress : 0x1 OUT
bmAttributes : 0x2 Bulk
wMaxPacketSize : 0x400 (1024 bytes)
bInterval : 0x0
main - Device detected
UsbClass
UsbClass - [LIB]: connect:0x80
UsbClass
UsbClass - [LIB]: Timed out
UsbClass
UsbClass - [LIB]: bytearray(b'')
UsbClass
UsbClass - [LIB]: [Errno 10060] Operation timed out
UsbClass
UsbClass - [LIB]: 
Stack (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\merge\Documents\!KonTiki2\1 Update\edl\edl.py", line 358, in <module>
base.run()
File "C:\Users\merge\Documents\!KonTiki2\1 Update\edl\edl.py", line 254, in run
mode, resp = self.doconnect(loop, mode, resp)
File "C:\Users\merge\Documents\!KonTiki2\1 Update\edl\edl.py", line 196, in doconnect
mode, resp = self.sahara.connect()
File "C:\Users\merge\Documents\!KonTiki2\1 Update\edl\edl\Library\sahara.py", line 395, in connect
self.cdc.write(data)
File "C:\Users\merge\Documents\!KonTiki2\1 Update\edl\edl\Library\usblib.py", line 368, in write
self.verify_data(bytearray(command), "TX:")
File "C:\Users\merge\Documents\!KonTiki2\1 Update\edl\edl\Library\usblib.py", line 111, in verify_data
self.debug("", stack_info=True)
UsbClass
UsbClass - [LIB]: TX:<?xml version="1.0" ?><data><nop /></data>
UsbClass
UsbClass
UsbClass
UsbClass
UsbClass - [LIB]: [Errno 10060] Operation timed out
UsbClass
UsbClass - [LIB]: 
Stack (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\merge\Documents\!KonTiki2\1 Update\edl\edl.py", line 358, in <module>
base.run()
File "C:\Users\merge\Documents\!KonTiki2\1 Update\edl\edl.py", line 254, in run
mode, resp = self.doconnect(loop, mode, resp)
File "C:\Users\merge\Documents\!KonTiki2\1 Update\edl\edl.py", line 196, in doconnect
mode, resp = self.sahara.connect()
File "C:\Users\merge\Documents\!KonTiki2\1 Update\edl\edl\Library\sahara.py", line 400, in connect
self.cdc.write(data)
File "C:\Users\merge\Documents\!KonTiki2\1 Update\edl\edl\Library\usblib.py", line 368, in write
self.verify_data(bytearray(command), "TX:")
File "C:\Users\merge\Documents\!KonTiki2\1 Update\edl\edl\Library\usblib.py", line 111, in verify_data
self.debug("", stack_info=True)
UsbClass
UsbClass - [LIB]: TX:7e064e957e
UsbClass
UsbClass
UsbClass
main - Unknown mode. Aborting.
UsbClass
UsbClass - [LIB]: [Errno None] Other error

[/CODE]
Old 08-10-2021, 10:57 PM   #22
mergen3107
Wizard

With or without this lib32 driver, the output is the same
Old 08-11-2021, 06:35 AM   #23
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you do that one with the big log from a fresh reboot?
It looks to me like your drivers are good but the sahara protocol was already stalled.
(I've got it easier because I have my reed switch and I can just hit power for 1 second and I'm back in fresh EDL immediately.
You have to do a reset, wait for it to boot to Onyx, then adb reboot edl.)

The first time it should say:
Code:
main - Mode detected: sahara
After you load the loader it will say:
Code:
main - Mode detected: firehose
You only need to load the loader once for every reboot.
In upgrading the protocol from sahara to firehose there should be no USB glitch or disconnect.

You might use my UsbLog.exe (in the sig).
It's handy for seeing USB connect/disconnects.

If you're still having problems I can send you a little test.
Old 08-11-2021, 07:30 PM   #24
mergen3107
Wizard

Yes, all these sessions are similar: fresh boot into Android, go to Settings to enable USB debugging, "adb reboot edl", then "python edl loader=loader.file" (and I tried both .elf and .bin) and gives these messages in the same manner each time.

All this happens while Windows 10 is still booted in no-driver-signature mode, otherwise Qualcomm drivers are blocked and edl doesn't even see the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post

You might use my UsbLog.exe (in the sig).
It's handy for seeing USB connect/disconnects.
Sorry, where is that?
Old 08-11-2021, 08:37 PM   #25
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Sorry, where is that?
Erm, the address in the sig, then up to Home, then down to Windows.
http://www.temblast.com/windows.htm
Edit: Oops, the label on the link was wrong, but the link and the file were right. Now it's all right.

If you've never seen "Mode detected: sahara" don't worry about the loader, we're nowhere there yet.

I find Python and it's dependencies and versions frustrating too, but that probably only shows my ignorance.

See my PM.

Last edited by Renate; 08-11-2021 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:11 PM   #26
mergen3107
Wizard

Thank you very much Renate!
I replied to your PM with details.

---
Meanwhile, for anyone interested reading this post in future, after installing Nova launcher (this is important! Have a sane launcher before you disable anything OEM, just is case ) I successfully disabled those:

Code:
# Neo browser
pm disable org.chromium.chrome

# Some substitute apps (they are fine, but meh)
pm disable com.simplemobiletools.clock
pm disable com.simplemobiletools.musicplayer
pm disable com.simplemobiletools.voicerecorder
pm disable com.onyx.kreader
pm disable com.onyx.android.note
pm disable com.onyx.mail
pm disable com.onyx.calculator
pm disable com.onyx.pinyinime
pm disable com.onyx.appmarket
pm disable com.onyx.dict
pm disable com.onyx.android.production.test
pm disable org.codeaurora.bluetooth.batestapp
pm disable com.android.email
pm disable com.android.quicksearchbox

# Google play & Co.
pm disable com.android.vending
pm disable com.google.android.gms
pm disable com.google.android.gsf
pm disable com.android.printspooler

# the Onyx launcher and useless OTA (Kon-Tiki 1/2 are updated only locally from PC)
pm disable com.onyx.android.onyxotaservice
Interesting notes:
1) Upon a fresh boot with Nova launcher as a main launcher, app optimizations do NOT work unless you manually enter sleep. Maybe this is because the lock screen is still under control of the framework.apk, which was usually tied to start with Onyx launcher.

You can see this by yourself. Set a device password like I did, reboot and when prompted to enter the pass code, just press the power button. You will see the screensaver picture to be tiny and weirdly oriented. Sorry, that was wrong. Disabling Onyx launcher (com.onyx) actually breaks lock screen and app optimizations, as well as block you from reaching the update button.

Once you enter the pass code and lock again - everything is back to normal. I guess this is because the pass code is native Android, while the lock screen is the Onyx framework, which is inactive at this stage.

Anyway, after boot and entered pass code just lock and unlock the device, and app optimization will work as usual.

2) Onyx launcher's disabled state does not break too much stuff: rotation, app optimizations, swipe gestures on the bottom, screenshots, Navigation ball, Glow light control, Task manager, screen modes, extra scroll buttons. Only multi-window mode is somewhat broken showing less apps that support it, but I don't use it anyway. With such a small screen a fixed portions of the divided screen there is no much use for it.

3) I will probably occasionally re-enable/disable the Onyx launcher to set different screensavers and swipe gestures. But that all I'd need from it

Last edited by mergen3107; 08-11-2021 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:14 PM   #27
mergen3107
Wizard

I also tried to enable adb on boot, but failed.
I did "adb reboot recovery" and it entered the Recovery mode OK, but the device did not connect to the PC. So I didn't have access to mount /data and /system and replace files there (as per this instruction).

I guess, I'd need to modify and sign recovery.img to enable adb in the recovery mode and flash it with fastboot back...
Old 08-12-2021, 12:14 AM   #28
mergen3107
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galunid View Post
You can use dd to create image of the partition, google for how to dump android partitions. You need to be careful with dumping /system, so that you don't accidentally run out of space. I dumped all partitions on my Nova2, except the storage one
Thank you Galunid for pointing me in the right direction.
While the EDL issues are still here, I made a backup of /system and /recovery with dd.
To be safe, first I checked the sizeof /system with "df -h", it is around 3.0G in my case. /recovery is usually small, <100 MB. So I did:
Code:
# /system, around 3.00 GB
dd if=/dev/block/by-name/system of=/storage/emulated/0/system_modded.img
# /recovery, around 64 MB
dd if=/dev/block/by-name/recovery of=/storage/emulated/0/recovery_stock.img
then copied those from the storage to PC. The sizes are exactly 3.0G and 64M for /system and /recovery images, respectively. Now I can finally fully load my Kon-Tiki 2 with upscaled manga xD

So if something bad happens I should be able (I hope) to flash them directly with fastboot to respective partitions.
Old 08-12-2021, 12:18 AM   #29
mergen3107
Wizard

As for modding the recovery image to include adb in recovery mode, I am stuck. Instructions I found refer to ramdisk contents, and as reported by Magisk this platform is ramdisk-less.

So currently I am not sure how to continue. After all, it is just a convenience of having adb enabled at boot and in recovery mode. Otherwise I will need to boot into fastboot.

Meanwhile, I use TotalCMD's handy shortcut-button to invoke the command su with the parameter:
Code:
settings put global development_settings_enabled 1; settings put global adb_enabled 1; echo "mtp,adb" > /data/property/persist.sys.usb.config
Which is equivalent to going to Dev Settings and toggling the USB Debugging.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:33 AM   #30
Renate
Wizard

Ok, your problem is that you have the stupid Qualcomm drivers loaded.
They take a perfectly acceptable WinUsb compatible interface and turn it into a COM port.
In Windows Device Manager (devmgmt.msc) if you see anything Qualcomm in "Ports" it's wrong.
You can seriously delete those drivers.

You want garden variety WinUsb drivers.
You could write your own .inf
The easiest way is to use Zadig which basically does that and signs it.
https://zadig.akeo.ie/

Yes, disabling com.onyx disables 60 Megs of cruft.
It does disable "enhancements" and a ton of other stuff.
You are left with a more Android-like environment.
If that isn't what you want, you have to disable individual activities & services.

Edit: Recovery has a ramdisk.

Last edited by Renate; 08-12-2021 at 07:38 AM.