Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-08-2020, 05:25 AM   #61
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nova Air C
I don't have a Nova pro for comparison. I find the contrast on the Nova 2 very good, but at the highest level (from 80%) it makes no sense, too much black. Don`t know if this is visible on the screenshots, first one is with 0%, second with 50% and last one with 100% contrast
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-08_11-15-21.png
Views:	346
Size:	820.9 KB
ID:	178168   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-08_11-15-54.png
Views:	300
Size:	732.9 KB
ID:	178169   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-04-08_11-16-24.png
Views:	285
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	178170  
SleepWithMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:35 AM   #62
xdexx
xdexx began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Thanks a lot for the effort with screenshots! Just placed my order...
xdexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2020, 10:39 AM   #63
elhnad
elhnad began at the beginning.

Device: prs t1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepWithMachine View Post
Small experience report:
watching videos, everything is actually possible to a limited extent. r

Can you rate the video playback? is it the best one you've seen so far. is it good enough to read text on the video like powerpoint slides or computer terminal code?
elhnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:08 PM   #64
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually
SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SleepWithMachine once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhnad View Post
Can you rate the video playback? is it the best one you've seen so far. is it good enough to read text on the video like powerpoint slides or computer terminal code?

I honestly have to say that the quality is not special, video is fast in x-mode, but not an innovation. It is still e-ink, you can use it if necessary
Old 04-09-2020, 11:20 AM   #65
psbernitz
Enthusiast
psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.psbernitz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Onyx Nova 2
I have a question to all the technical people here.
Onyx says they have Snow Field and moon light 2 on their website. Are these actually unique technologies only found in onyx devices or are these just marketing terms and the screen is exactly the same as in every other manufacturer?
psbernitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2020, 07:28 AM   #66
kindle72
kindle72 began at the beginning.

Device: A7CC
Quote:
just figured out after install the Android app "Hidden Settings", you get into the Android settings that are otherwise hidden. This in turn is interesting because you get access to the developer options with tons of settings.
What app do you use exactly? There are a ton of search results for "hidden settings"

This one:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tings&hl=en_US

Thanks
kindle72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:41 AM   #67
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually

@kindle72

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...settings&gl=DE
Old 04-10-2020, 02:46 PM   #68
kindle72
kindle72 began at the beginning.

Device: A7CC
Quote:
Thanks! There is an autorotation setting, but it doesn't work.

I have also ordered a Nova2 early this week. Primary reason for buying was the fact to install any app. To read things I want to read. That's most of the time not Ebooks.

Want to use it in sunlight as a Newsreader, Pocket, Reddit, Mail and Twitter client. Also want to have a Terminal (Termux) ready, if there is a reason. Sometimes I read PDF magazines.

Runtime is fantastic! Unboxed with 92% battery on Tuesday, now it still does have 37%. Especially today I was using it a lot in my garden. Using it always with WiFi on.

Android isn't developed for E-Ink displays. X mode makes it better, but X mode isn't good for every App. Need to play with the settings. Every non-system App can have a different setting. I think Onyx makes a good job. Just don't expect E-Ink becomes a 120hz Super Amoled

On the negative side, Autorotation isn't possible and double taping the virtual button jumps straight to the Library. Should be configurable to show eg. all Apps instead of the Library.

I've also tried using the Pen and draw some notes. It's ok for me, but it wasn't the reason for buying it. Maybe I find a use case in future.

Doesn't regret my order. It's not my dream device (aluminium case, 7" 4:3 display without much border = mix of Oasis + Paperwhite, GPS, BTLE, ANT+, small speaker, SIM card for data only), but now I can read text which I want.
kindle72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 07:39 PM   #69
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindle72 View Post
Thanks! There is an autorotation setting, but it doesn't work.
this is simply because the device has no sensor for automatic rotation of the screen.

I don't know why it was left out, just like gps, every cheap smartphone has it built in. Too bad

Last edited by SleepWithMachine; 04-10-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Old 04-10-2020, 09:37 PM   #70
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
this is simply because the device has no sensor for automatic rotation of the screen.

I don't know why it was left out, just like gps, every cheap smartphone has it built in. Too bad
Autorotation is not such a big deal. It can easily be done manually.

However, it was very unfortunate that they left GPS out. It really limits one when using map apps.

My Hisense A5 eink phone has GPS and can be used with map apps. It was much less expensive than my various Onyx devices (which I am otherwise quite happy with, btw).... Having GPS capabilities on a larger eink device would be very useful when using such apps in the field.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:56 PM   #71
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
However, it was very unfortunate that they left GPS out. It really limits one when using map apps.
For Osmand+ and Sygic I use my smartphone (Unihertz Atom) as a GPS/Glonass receiver.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 02:43 PM   #72
SleepWithMachine
not meant sexually

let's face it, you don't need a gps to read an ebook

But I miss automatic screen rotation, the built-in software solution is very cumbersome. You have to pull down the top bar every time to activate it, that is very tricky and inaccurate, especially with larger pdf files. Unfortunately, the setting cannot be placed in the quick settings button. hope ths will be fixed in next sw udate
Old 04-11-2020, 05:36 PM   #73
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Quote:
let's face it, you don't need a gps to read an ebook
True enough. But these devices are more than just ereaders. Being able to see your exact position on a relatively large map while out hiking would be very useful.

Of course, I can check my position on a phone and then look at the map on my Nova Pro. But that is not quite as elegant or efficient a method.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:46 AM   #74
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
True enough. But these devices are more than just ereaders. Being able to see your exact position on a relatively large map while out hiking would be very useful.

Of course, I can check my position on a phone and then look at the map on my Nova Pro. But that is not quite as elegant or efficient a method.
I connect my Unihertz Atom (The Smallest 4G rugged SmartPhone) as a GPS / Glonass receiver via Bluetooth to my Poke Pro (A2 mode).
I use Poke Pro because the device has a convenient size to take with me.
The Poke Pro either runs Sygic when I use this combination as a glare-free car navigation system, or Osmand+ on tours, also as a tracker.
The satellite data is automatically transferred to the Poke Pro, where the corresponding processing and display takes place.
For this I have to tell the smartphone that it must provide the satellite data via Bluetooth and the Poke Pro that it should receive the satellite data via Bluetooth.
There is also the possibility to establish such a connection via WiFi, but I have not yet tried it.
ottischwenk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 08:54 AM   #75
Paeminem
Paeminem began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
Really considering this device as a replacement for my current e reader. One thing I am wondering if someone who has it has already tested or is willing to test is how the app Tachiyomi works on this device for reading manga? I wonder if it is as smooth or close to as smooth as when reading books?

Thanks!
Paeminem is offline   Reply With Quote