Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 09-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #31
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Music for Anathem

I've seen here: http://www.arcanology.com/2008/06/24/anathem-and-music/ that the paper book may be shipped with a CD with music created for Anathem.

I haven't been able to find out more - or if it's possible to get this music. It certainly didn't come with the ebook. Does anyone know anything?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #32
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ea_ View Post
I've seen here: http://www.arcanology.com/2008/06/24/anathem-and-music/ that the paper book may be shipped with a CD with music created for Anathem.

I haven't been able to find out more - or if it's possible to get this music. It certainly didn't come with the ebook. Does anyone know anything?
The cd came with the arc only; the music is available on the site of the book - not sure if you can download it or you need to record the stream to keep, but I listened to it - I bought my arc so I did not get the cd - and it's really cool.

http://www.nealstephenson.com/anathem/
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2008, 09:01 AM   #33
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I'm fascinated by language, and I'm very intrigued by the subtle way Stephenson has manipulated English into "Arbre" words - words that are almost but not quite an English word, and often also holds secondary meanings. I love that
If this is the case, you should DEFINITELY add Russell Hoban's Riddley Walker to your reading list. He did an amazing job with language manipulation in that book. Unfortunately, I don't believe there's a (legal) ebook release yet.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:49 AM   #34
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks! I feel a little for not checking that site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liviu_5 View Post
The cd came with the arc only; ...
'arc'? I'm not sure I understand...
Old 09-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #35
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtw View Post
If this is the case, you should DEFINITELY add Russell Hoban's Riddley Walker to your reading list. He did an amazing job with language manipulation in that book. Unfortunately, I don't believe there's a (legal) ebook release yet.
Thanks for the recommendation! I will be sure to check that one out.
Advert
Old 09-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #36
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Thanks! I feel a little for not checking that site.

'arc'? I'm not sure I understand...

Advance Reader Copy - sadly I missed out on the "original arcs" sent by the publishers to reviewers who had the CD included - so I had to buy in the market and since the Ebay ones with the CD were quite expensive at the time, I went Abe but it did not have the CD included
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #37
AshW
Connoisseur
AshW doesn't litterAshW doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
Just popping back in to say I started I've started reading this now (I took a diversion through World War Z) and am really enjoying it so far. For some reason I was expecting it to be really difficult to get into, possibly because the opening of the Baroque Trilogy was so slow. But while not much happens in the first couple of hundred pages and it's mostly scene setting I still found it very readable and moorish. Now suddenly it's started to get very interesting and I have trouble putting it down.

I'm really enjoying the whole ebook experience in general. I had my concerns at first and thought I might miss paper books too much, but after a few weeks that's absolutely not the case.
AshW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 04:44 PM   #38
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I just started last night. So far so good-- I grabbed it from Books on Board when they did the rewards for reviews. It isn't grabbing me quite as fast as Cryptonomicon did but it's entirely readable and I'm only on screen 242 of 3464 so I've a while to go.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #39
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Just finished it last night, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote