Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-07-2017, 05:14 PM   #1
peterbryan23
peterbryan23 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura hd
Can anybody with an AuraHD connect to Windows 10 via USB?

I've recently upgraded to Windows 10 and now can't connect my Aura HD via USB. I've done the usual checks on the cable and USB connection, and I've been able to confirm (via this forum - many thanks) that I've got the latest firmware (Jan16), and have checked I've got the latest W10 version (1607). I've looked through lots of discussion around this on the forum and elsewhere. There's a few things I'd like to clarify:
1) Is anybody able to connect their Aura HD via USB? If so, is there any known "secret" to getting it to work?
2) There's talk about the firmware not being written to new Windows standards and thus not being recognised via USB, but no sign of any firmware update to address it. Does anyone know if that is a recognised latest position?
3) Given we're over a year on from the W10 launch it would suggest that there's nothing coming by way of Windows update. Do we think that's the case?
4) Are there any good workarounds? I'm considering setting up a virtual machine for W7?
Any thoughts appreciated, many thanks.
peterbryan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you have all of the Windows Update patches applies. The original Anniversary Update had problems with Kobo but that's since been fixed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Lots of people have connected all the different Kobo ereaders to Windows 10. There is a long thread here discussion the issues that MS created when they released the Anniversary Edition. Odds are, your problem is related to that. But, as you didn't actually say what the problem is, I can't really tell. You need to give some details about what is going wrong. And what you have tried to fix it. Then maybe we can make suggestions as to how to fix it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:49 PM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I have an AuraHD fw 3.19.5761 and a laptop with Windows 10 Home (Build 14393.rs1_release.161220-1747 to be precise). I don't use the AuraHD much anymore but I haven't had any problems connecting it to the laptop using the Kobo's own cable in a USB 3 port. I tried it again, just now - still no problem.

As to workarounds ... I don't know whether doing the following is the reason why I'm not having any problems, but I'll tell you anyway. The Win10 vs. Kobo USB problems arose whilst I still had a Win7 PC. This post suggested a possible solution (MiniTool Partition Wizard) for Win10 users so I applied it to all my Kobo devices as a kind of pre-emptive strike 'just in case'. When I got a new laptop in October it quickly upgraded itself to Win10 Anniv. Ed. All the Kobos I'd applied the 'fix' to worked OK after the AE upgrade.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 05:55 PM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Running Win 10 with all updates applied and an Aura HD with the most recent firmware and have no problems connecting. The only time I've had a problem was on one PC when they first released the Anniversary update, but that was solved fairly quickly by a Windows update.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
peterbryan23

Thanks for all responses so far. Really good to hear there is a solution out there and a good number of you are connecting just fine. In terms of the request to add more details of the problem: the problem is that, immediately following my very recent W10 upgrade (it worked fine in W7), the AuraHD isn't recognised by the PC at all when I connect it via USB cable, and by that I mean not in Windows Explorer or device manager, or system tray, not audio signal of connecting, etc. I've tried USB2 and 3 ports.

My W10 Pro upgrade was only about a week ago and I've ran updates from microsoft's website so my W10 install should be all up to date. It's version 1607 (which is the Anniversary one I believe from other forum questions), build 14393.693, so this logically should have the fix that originally occurred after the Anniversary version was introduced. In fact Microsoft lsit it as the up to date recommeded release here:
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...ease-info.aspx

The Kobo is running the latest firmware version 3.19.5761.

Thanks for the partitioning workaround idea Jackie. I'll do that if nobody comes up with a simpler solution in the meantime! It's ahead of my virtual machine idea at the moment!
Old 02-07-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
peterbryan23

The partitioning idea won't work...

Just looked at Jackie's partitioning idea, but realised it won't work because you need the Kobo to be recognised by the Windows USB port for it to work....which is my problem in the first place!

thanks anyway!
Old 02-07-2017, 06:34 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbryan23 View Post
Just looked at Jackie's partitioning idea, but realised it won't work because you need the Kobo to be recognised by the Windows USB port for it to work....which is my problem in the first place!

thanks anyway!
Do you have access to a different computer where it will work?
Old 02-07-2017, 06:44 PM   #9
peterbryan23

Have tried both kids' W10 machines and it has the same problem on both.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
How about access to a Win 7 or Win 8 system?
Old 02-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
You have three Win10 machines that don't show the device in device manager? From memory, for all the problems with Win10 that have been discussed, Windows saw the device and showed it in device manager. The problems were in using the device. If you have three machines that don't show the device in device manager, that makes it look like it is the device. Or the cable if you are using the same cable.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:05 AM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

thanks anyway!
As far as I recall, even with the Windows Insider previews that did not mount the Kobo as a drive, the USB subsystem mounted the device. If you opened Computer Management and then selected Disk Management, you would see the partition with no drive letter. Minitool's Partition Wizard would see the drive even if Windows did not give it a drive letter.

So a suggestion would be to check in Computer Management to see if the drive is mounted in there. If it does show up, then use Partition Wizard.

If you don't see the drive in Disk Management, then I would try using Nirsoft's USBDeview to see if the device is being seen by the USB subsystem. If it is not, I'd check the USB cable and ports.

Currently, I'm using a USB 2 port to connect my Kobo ereaders. USB 3 works and mounts the device but any time I copy a large amount of the data, my Kobos spontaneously dismount.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-08-2017 at 12:13 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 02:45 AM   #13
peterbryan23

Thanks for latest replies.

Yes, I've got 3 W10 machines that behave the same way (though will recheck the other 2 tonight to make sure all have up to date Windows versions). So yes while that suggests the cable or USB port, I can immediately use the same cable and USB port to connect my camera which has no problems at all.

No, it doesn't appear in disk management.

Will try USBDeview tonight.

I've not gone back to test a W7 machine as that's where I came from a week ago with it working perfectly, but will try to find a friend with one just to recheck it's still recognised.

thanks again!
Old 02-08-2017, 01:34 PM   #14
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
One note on USB cables--I have found my Aura HD (and Aura One for that matter) to be a little finicky at times about which USB cable I use. I find my Aura HD and Aura One don't always work with cables that work fine with other items. When I bought my Aura HD, it came with a very nice USB cable--and I have no problems with that cable.

And, just for the record, I haven't had any problems connecting either Kobo to various Windows 10 machines.

Good luck--hope you can get this figured out!
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 04:30 PM   #15
peterbryan23

I've just gone back to a friend's Windows 7 machine to make sure it still works under W7 and....it doesn't! I rechecked my cable with his e-reader on his machine and that's working ok, so at least I have some logical answer to this now, in that it must be the e-reader itself. The only odd thing was that it managed to develop the fault when my PC was away being upgraded to Windows 10, which was just a coincidence I guess, and led me to assume it was Windows 10 problem rather than the Kobo itself.

I'm guessing something on the micro-usb port on the Kobo has failed but not sure exactly which bit. Doesn't really matter.

I'm going to see if I can figure out how to connect it via wifi to Calibre (so may be back on the forum soon!)

Many thanks to all those that contributed, much appreciated.

Tags
aurahd, problem, usb, windows10