Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-04-2015, 06:52 AM   #1
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Lightbulb New 13.3" Onyx Boox. Rumours, prototype specs, first pictures

I just got very first pictures of new 13.3" Onyx Boox. It is already working prototype.
I am very exciting to get my hand on it
Some minor design improvements are possible, though. I already suggested some: another buttons order, engraved buttons instead of printed icons, possibly thinner frame etc.

In the first version Onyx is going to use just inductive touch (with big pen).

Additionally Onyx is going to use the newest flexible PVI HD screen with 2200x1650 (207 DPI) (just for comparison - Sony is using 1600 x1200 (150DPI)
Weight currently is about 400g.

Expected availability - spring of 2016.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	QQ图片20151104180533.jpg
Views:	3557
Size:	588.2 KB
ID:	143457   Click image for larger version

Name:	QQ图片20151104180526.jpg
Views:	2804
Size:	587.5 KB
ID:	143458   Click image for larger version

Name:	QQ图片20151104180521.jpg
Views:	2942
Size:	588.6 KB
ID:	143459  
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 07:48 AM   #2
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Looks nice. If it can be slaved to a PC as a secondary monitor with no-flash a2 mode for text-processing, and / or a keyboard can be attached, and I'm interested.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2015, 04:11 PM   #3
skobie78
Enthusiast
skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.skobie78 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Onyx M92, Onyx Boox Max
Excellent! I can't wait to get this, I'm glad I held off buying the DPT-S1 now
skobie78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 09:17 PM   #4
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Is it me, or does Onyx-Boox seem to be focusing more and more on larger eReaders (T68, i86, and now the 13.3"), with their 6-inch offerings becoming increasingly just minor (and often tardy) updates to existing products?
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:18 AM   #5
rchiang
Connoisseur
rchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to all

Device: Kindle PW3, iPad Pro 9.7"
I'm mostly hoping for a faster CPU and more RAM (allowing for decent PDF reading), and a microSD slot (although the last is pretty much expected, except on Kindles).
rchiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2015, 04:30 AM   #6
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It should be possible to use the device as PC monitor (second) second

The first version will be i.mx6 + 1G + 8G
Approximately six month later should be possible to offer Plus version with i.mx7dl + 2G + 16G/32G .. (we are still discussing to add dual touch screen functionality in the Plus)

Last edited by Booxtor; 02-08-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:04 AM   #7
allochi
Connoisseur
allochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animalsallochi is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura
400g is good, I still hope the final product going to be lighter and thinner. for me, it's really much needed device, I hope the price will be reasonable.
allochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:11 AM   #8
rchiang
Connoisseur
rchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to allrchiang is a name known to all

Device: Kindle PW3, iPad Pro 9.7"
2G of RAM would be really nice. Waiting another year is somewhat painful after waiting so long for any 13.3" ereader.

Thanks for the info Booxtor!
rchiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 09:20 AM   #9
mSSM
Connoisseur? Addict!
mSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with othersmSSM plays well with others

Device: Onyx M92
My M92 will soon be 4 years old, but I really do not see a reason for an update to (yet another) 9.7" reader. It turns out that these are just a tad too small. I kept buying textbooks and printing journal articles, and used the M92 only for novels.

A reasonably priced 13.3" reader (read: not Sony-levels) would make me get a new one.
mSSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:14 AM   #10
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Booxtor, do you know what software it will be running? Hopefully open Android...

The glassless screen will be fantastic. I am one of the few people who bought the Wexler FlexOne and the (lack of) weight and durability is amazing. Hopefully the screen will make its way into other screen sizes as well - although it is more important for larger sizes.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:25 PM   #11
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
Booxtor, do you know what software it will be running? Hopefully open Android...

The glassless screen will be fantastic. I am one of the few people who bought the Wexler FlexOne and the (lack of) weight and durability is amazing. Hopefully the screen will make its way into other screen sizes as well - although it is more important for larger sizes.
It will be open Android 4.4.
Old 11-06-2015, 05:49 PM   #12
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
...we are still discussing to add dual touch screen functionality in the Plus...
Stylus only screen is a bummer. This would suit in 2005.

Any info if Onyx is going to include Bluetooth?
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:57 PM   #13
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Sounds great.

I will gladly volunteer for a beta test.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 06:27 AM   #14
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
Stylus only screen is a bummer. This would suit in 2005.

Any info if Onyx is going to include Bluetooth?
Concerning stylus only I agree with you.. but it is better to accept this for the first version and eventually move from the dead point.

It will be equipped with wifi, bluetooth, speakers, but neither G-sensor, nor GPS, nor camera.

I suggested to re-design buttons like this: http://c2n.me/3pYnopV.jpg
What do you think about my proposal?
Old 11-07-2015, 07:18 AM   #15
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
I suggested to re-design buttons like this: http://c2n.me/3pYnopV.jpg
What do you think about my proposal?
I'd agree that spreading the buttons out would make for better ease of use (less likelihood for pressing the wrong button), but would suggest the page forward and backward buttons on opposite corners.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote