Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 01-04-2015, 03:31 PM   #61
ereader25
Enthusiast
ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.

Device: looking
Hello all, I just purchased the Afterglow 2 through Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Onyx-AfterGlow...ds=afterglow+2), I'm glad to see it has Prime shipping and is fulfilled by Amazon so I have the benefit of their customer support.

I am wondering if anyone knows, am I able to use root applications out of the box? I know this version ships with Google Play, but for things like Titanium Backup and SetCPU which I assume will be important to manage the battery life, will I still need to root this device?

Thanks!
ereader25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #62
eb00ker
Connoisseur
eb00ker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG / Onyx Boox M92 / M96 / C67 AFTERGLOW 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereader25 View Post
Hello all, I just purchased the Afterglow 2 through Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Onyx-AfterGlow...ds=afterglow+2), I'm glad to see it has Prime shipping and is fulfilled by Amazon so I have the benefit of their customer support.

I am wondering if anyone knows, am I able to use root applications out of the box? I know this version ships with Google Play, but for things like Titanium Backup and SetCPU which I assume will be important to manage the battery life, will I still need to root this device?

Thanks!
yes, you will need to root your device.

I recommend you the 'Root Master 1.3.6_Cekas_Fix.apk'. I rooted with this app my Afterglow2 in no time - and had no problems at all. The menu of the rooting app contains some indonesian words if I recall it right, but the rooting itself is pretty straight forward by clicking on one button

Please find attached the file you need.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Root_Master_1.3.6_Cekas_Fix.rar (2.79 MB, 3166 views)
eb00ker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2015, 07:16 PM   #63
ereader25
Enthusiast
ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.ereader25 knows what's going on.

Thank you, I will use this!

How is your experience with the afterglow 2 after rooting and customizing it, particularly with battery life?
Old 01-05-2015, 02:18 AM   #64
eb00ker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Thank you, I will use this!

How is your experience with the afterglow 2 after rooting and customizing it, particularly with battery life?
the experience overall with the speed is pretty good. It's doing a good job.

but battery life could be better - as always. with wifi on it drained very fast.

i commented on this device early check my post here *click me*

eb00ker
Old 01-05-2015, 06:56 AM   #65
nikgid
nikgid began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eb00ker View Post
yes, you will need to root your device.

I recommend you the 'Root Master 1.3.6_Cekas_Fix.apk'. I rooted with this app my Afterglow2 in no time - and had no problems at all. The menu of the rooting app contains some indonesian words if I recall it right, but the rooting itself is pretty straight forward by clicking on one button

Please find attached the file you need.
Thanks for that hint!

I can confirm that rooting the Onyx Boox Afterglow 2 works like a charm with this tool. (download; copy onto the afterglow; make sure that settings are set to allow installation from other sources; install; run application; press the root button in the application ... done)

So it's an easily rootable android 4.x e-ink device.

I can't say much concerning battery life yet.

Cheers!
nikgid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2015, 05:07 PM   #66
freecr
freecr began at the beginning.

Device: t68
eB00ker, would the root file also work for the T68?
freecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #67
eb00ker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by freecr View Post
eB00ker, would the root file also work for the T68?
yes, it should work there as well.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:21 AM   #68
freecr
freecr began at the beginning.

Device: t68
Thanks, eb00ker
freecr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:59 AM   #69
nikgid

@eb00ker and others who rooted their Afterglow2 (aka C67):

What would you suggest to do in order to enhance battery life?
  • I started with installing Greenify.
  • I will now continue with moving/deleting some unneeded pre-installed applications (like phone etc.). Which are safe to remove in your experience? Should we collect a list?
  • Is there a way to hinder the backlight to turn on by default when starting/waking the device?
  • Would underclocking the CPU help with battery life? If yes, which of the tools would you recommend for the e-ink-screen? (menus/settings in "setCPU" are unreadable on e-ink)
Old 01-08-2015, 11:08 PM   #70
ereader25
Enthusiast

I just received my tablet today and was able to root it successfully using the file ebooker linked.

Have any of you guys found a way to have the Afterglow2 load into a more traditional start screen? I would rather use an app of my choosing as the reader so would prefer if I could just have the tablet load into a normal android homescreen rather than into their reader.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:26 AM   #71
nikgid

Quote:
Have any of you guys found a way to have the Afterglow2 load into a more traditional start screen? I would rather use an app of my choosing as the reader so would prefer if I could just have the tablet load into a normal android homescreen rather than into their reader.
That is relatively easy: you just have to install another launcher (Nova, ADW, Apex or similar) - after installation hit the home-button, then you can choose which launcher to use and also choose to make that choice permanent or not. (To change a "permanent" choice just install or de-install one launcher.)
Old 01-09-2015, 07:40 AM   #72
ernstlustig
ernstlustig began at the beginning.

Device: ONYX BOOX C67ML Afterglow 2 - rooted
Root first, TalkBack Later.

Thanks @nikgid
I intentionally bought the device as a gift for a blind friend, but the crippled Android by Onyx prevented me from activating TalkBack. At Arta they couldn't or wouldn't help me. I think they never had blind people on their radars as an important marketing target. Maybe eventually if results are good and the word spreads ...

Today I rooted the device as shown above. Then I installed "Settings" by gabenative from the Google Play store along with TalkBack. SU access allowed me to activate Accessibility Settings in "Settings". Works fine. And the touch inaccuracy at the bottom of the screen isn't an issue for a blind person.
I used to love FBreader a lot, but again they crippled the user interface and made it a PIA to use. So I bought MoonReader+ and installed it. Happy again. Text rendering and zooming of PDF files works like a charm with MoonReader+. Their TTS interface allows every language and every TTS engine available.
Now I'll install a launcher and give it to my friend for a test. I'll keep you updated here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=3022268

Last edited by ernstlustig; 01-09-2015 at 07:52 AM.
ernstlustig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:24 PM   #73
ereader25
Enthusiast

Interesting I wasn't aware you could install a custom launcher from play store, thanks!

Which one do you use, has it worked well with e ink?
Old 01-10-2015, 04:37 AM   #74
eb00ker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Interesting I wasn't aware you could install a custom launcher from play store, thanks!

Which one do you use, has it worked well with e ink?
1. Download 'ADW.Launcher' for free (or the paid Version 'ADWLauncher Ex' -I recommend)
2. Go in ADWSettings => Screen => disable 'Wallpaper Scrolling'
3. Go in ADWSettings => APP Drawer => change 'Text color' to black (circle to bottom left corner)
4. Go in ADWSettings => Icons => change 'Text color' to black (circle to bottom left corner)
5. Go in ADWSettings => Folders => change 'Text color' to black (circle to bottom left corner)
6. Download 'Chrome Theme Go/Nova/Apex' Icon Set, and apply the icons in ADWSettings => Themes
7. Download 'Minimal Wallpapers', which are ideal for e-ink, and apply whichever BG you like.

DONE. After all this changes, it basically should look similar to mine (M96, attached picture)

eb00ker
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150110_103427.jpg
Views:	1005
Size:	513.7 KB
ID:	133611  

Last edited by eb00ker; 01-10-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:00 AM   #75
eb00ker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikgid View Post
@eb00ker and others who rooted their Afterglow2 (aka C67):

What would you suggest to do in order to enhance battery life?
  • I started with installing Greenify.
  • I will now continue with moving/deleting some unneeded pre-installed applications (like phone etc.). Which are safe to remove in your experience? Should we collect a list?
  • Is there a way to hinder the backlight to turn on by default when starting/waking the device?
  • Would underclocking the CPU help with battery life? If yes, which of the tools would you recommend for the e-ink-screen? (menus/settings in "setCPU" are unreadable on e-ink)
Check out the app-list from the T68 in order to debloat your Afterglow2 by kuskro's posted enhancements
Yes, you can disable the backlight turning on by default in the Onyx Settings.

To optimize battery life: change the CPU Governor and I/O Scheduler of your Afterglow2.

1. Root your device (with the rooting App, which I attached earlier...)
2. Download 'No-frills CPU Control CLASSIC'
3. Change CPU Governor to: CONSERVATIVE
4. Change I/O Scheduler to: NOOP
5. Open Setting's and check: 'Disable safety valve' (you'll need this for 'QuickReboot' App)
6. And last but not least check: 'Apply on boot'
7. CPU governor Conservative + I/O scheduler Noop combination gives the most balanced performance-battery status!

eb00ker

Last edited by eb00ker; 01-10-2015 at 05:13 AM.