Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-24-2013, 04:28 AM   #46
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Now I understand better how Goodreads works. Call me naive, actually I really am, but I always thought the ratings were here to express what you think of a book that you've read (but not necessarily finished), whereas the shelves were here to serve as shelves (who could have guessed? ) or as a way to share some thoughts.

As Mivo said, those ratings are used by other websites. I would rather see people create a shelf "I can't wait to read the last book of this series" than put a five-star months ahead of the release. In short, in my opinion the shelves are fair game, the ratings are not.

But now I know that it's not the way Goodreads works. It's true it's not like that for every book nor every author, so maybe I didn't come across that kind of review before. Or maybe I did, I tend to be oblivious to that kind of things

All in all, I still find Goodreads to be a good place to discover authors, receive nice recommendations and interact with fellow readers (when I'm not here, that is ).
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:29 AM   #47
crdf
Connoisseur
crdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by faithbw View Post
For certain books, I just stay away from the reviews because the reviewers of those books are silly. Between the stupid GIFs and over the top gushing or bashing that actually says little about why the book was good or bad, I'm better off just taking a chance and reading the book anyway!

For other books, I think GR still provides valuable reviews and information.
That is for specific genres and there are ways to disable those gifs.

Mivo I wouldn't say the rating is useless. I find it MUCH more accurate than other places.
crdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2013, 04:36 AM   #48
crdf
Connoisseur
crdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animalscrdf is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
As Mivo said, those ratings are used by other websites. I would rather see people create a shelf "I can't wait to read the last book of this series" than put a five-star months ahead of the release. In short, in my opinion the shelves are fair game, the ratings are not.

But now I know that it's not the way Goodreads works. It's true it's not like that for every book nor every author, so maybe I didn't come across that kind of review before. Or maybe I did, I tend to be oblivious to that kind of things

All in all, I still find Goodreads to be a good place to discover authors, receive nice recommendations and interact with fellow readers (when I'm not here, that is ).
Ratings change. Readers change then after reading a book.

Also a lot of people would rate and review different editions. Because you can do that. You can rate differently ONE BOOK, also some people rate different versions. Example - if you read Wool part 1 to 5 you rate the books, but some will rate the omnibus as well. Does it mean they shouldn't cause they haven't actually read that edition?

If you know the author's style and that you gonna like the book cause you are a hard fan, why not rate.

I just want it noted I do not rate unread books, although you will find such in my read list, that was an import problem I still haven't solved.

I think a lot of people just miss what can be done on GR
A 3 star is a VERY GOOD rating and authors complain? Excuse me I am not rating for your benefit.
crdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #49
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crdf View Post

If you know the author's style and that you gonna like the book cause you are a hard fan, why not rate

Excuse me I am not rating for your benefit.
The above is not "rating", it's displaying a personal badge.

Rating a book is making a comparative assessment of its quality, readability, etc. When you post a rating, you are sharing your assessment of the book with others.

Rating a book requires work - you have to invest the time to read it, and actually think about what you've read. You share your assessment because you hope it will benefit others.

Last edited by Victoria; 08-24-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #50
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Well, if nothing else this thread has certainly made sure that I will never bother looking at Goodreads again. The site should apparently come with a huge disclaimer on the front page, stating "This site is worse than useless and potentially extremely misleading unless you're already heavily invested in it!"
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2013, 10:46 AM   #51
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Istvan diVega View Post
Well, if nothing else this thread has certainly made sure that I will never bother looking at Goodreads again. The site should apparently come with a huge disclaimer on the front page, stating "This site is worse than useless and potentially extremely misleading unless you're already heavily invested in it!"
But the same is true of most review and recommendations here on MobileRead also.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:51 AM   #52
Jane Oldaker
Groupie
Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jane Oldaker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung G3 Tablet, Kobo Vox
I must say two things strike me about this drama. It does seem like an effort to attract attention, and it seems to have succeeded handily. The actual worth of GR ratings is irrelevant. The system's not going anywhere. Rarely have so many reacted so strongly against so little. It's a bumblebee; ignore it and it will go away.
Jane Oldaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 10:59 AM   #53
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane Oldaker View Post
I must say two things strike me about this drama. It does seem like an effort to attract attention, and it seems to have succeeded handily. The actual worth of GR ratings is irrelevant. The system's not going anywhere. Rarely have so many reacted so strongly against so little. It's a bumblebee; ignore it and it will go away.
Maybe so, but I was on the verge of finally deciding to join Goodreads, and this has soured me on the idea. Too much craziness.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #54
Istvan diVega
Inharmonious
Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Istvan diVega ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Maybe so, but I was on the verge of finally deciding to join Goodreads, and this has soured me on the idea. Too much craziness.
Exactly. It isn't only the fact that the ratings are useless which puts me off, it's that it seems a little like an offshoot of the Something Awful forums.
Istvan diVega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:21 AM   #55
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Eh. GR is what you make of it. Develop a few cronies; see what they're reading and swap recommendations and comments; use it to search for books and track, evaluate and organize your reading. Handy site; I enjoy it.

I visit GR daily and I only know about the drama because of posts here.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #56
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I visit GR daily and I only know about the drama because of posts here.
Yep... Same here. And every site I've been on with more than two posters has drama. Even our beloved MR hasn't been immune from that disease.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:31 PM   #57
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Quote:
It is a good site but you have to 1) stay away from reviews of certain books within certain genres because they seem to attract the trolls and 2) make sure you have GR friends who are sane and don't feed into the drama. I had a couple of GR friends who did just that and I eventually took them off my friend list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdf View Post
That is for specific genres and there are ways to disable those gifs.
I don't want to paint certain genres with a broad stroke. Some books within genres attract nonsensical or trollish reviews but others do not (or not nearly as many).

Thanks for the tip about the GIFs! I find them to be very distracting and childish (within the context of a book review).
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:17 PM   #58
pisceschick
Addict
pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Classic Nook, Kindle Keyboard, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedwig View Post
The author lied about death threats, misread GRs terms and now blames it all on PMS?! Does she realize she has just insulted every woman in the world? Obviously,women cannot control themselves because they suffer from PMS - seriously?!

This authors needs to take responsibility for her own lies and actions or maybe this is all just one HUGE PR stunt!
Ayup. When I have PMS that makes me cranky (and I have it often and in extremes, as I have PPMD), I take a freaking Midol and remove my hands from the keyboard. If I feel like I might explode, I cut off communication from everyone except close family, so I am sure to NOT do something this astoundingly stupid. But then, I'm the kind of person who takes complete responsibility for her actions, even if they're under an influence.

But yes, setting women back and insulting all at the same time.

I believe she made the comment on GoodReads in the Librarian or Feedback forum, but it looks like it's been deleted. That was expected, so there's a screenshot somewhere.
pisceschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 03:23 PM   #59
pisceschick
Addict
pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Classic Nook, Kindle Keyboard, Nexus 7
Quote:
I would wholeheartedly encourage you to give it a try! I just watch the drama, but my own experiences at GR have personally been great. I don't interact with many authors and have a private profile, and everyone on my friends list is known IRL or from somewhere like here. I follow a few genre groups for discussion and recommendations, and keep a shelf that's a visual walkthrough of the books on my Kindle that are in genres I don't usually read so that I can look through and find something when I'm looking for something new. Kind of a gallery tour, if you will.

You really get out of it what you put in. Most of my public interaction is in the Librarian group, as I love helping to maintain the database.
pisceschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #60
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Quote:
Eh, just make your profile private, then you can control EVERYTHING and not have to deal with craziness.

It really is a good site for keeping track of what you read, what you thought of it and why. If you like that kind of thing anyway
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote