Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #226
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
All these horror stories make me wish that there was another ereader as good as the Aura out right now that I could buy instead of having to deal with the necessary evil that is Kobo. I'll consider it an achievement if I get mine next week with no dead pixels and no other problems. It's hilarious they can't handle something as simple as shipping something out correctly when it's the easiest thing today to do. Look at all the powersellers on ebay selling tons of stuff every day and using just their computer.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #227
Pierre Menard
Zealot
Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Nook HD+, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarizt View Post
All these horror stories make me wish that there was another ereader as good as the Aura out right now
True, but mostly it just makes me wish they'd sell them in bookstores like the other Kobo products, so I could buy locally, today, after actually trying it, from someone who knows how to serve a customer.
Pierre Menard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2013, 12:06 AM   #228
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

I'm getting sick of waiting for my Aura. If I ordered a PW I would have already had it 2-4 days ago, but my Aura hasn't even shipped yet. Plus it's almost twice the price of the PW.

For people who have used both a PW and the Aura, do you think the Aura's screen and backlight is that much better? That's really the determining factor for me since I've read about 10 books the past 30 days and the eye strain I get from the led light on my sony prs-t1 is super annoying now.

Plus I'm terrified of Kobo's customer service, and two people have mentioned that their kindle touch and sony prs-650 were faster at page turns than their aura.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #229
david8866
Zealot
david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david8866 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
I'm getting sick of waiting for my Aura. If I ordered a PW I would have already had it 2-4 days ago, but my Aura hasn't even shipped yet. Plus it's almost twice the price of the PW.

For people who have used both a PW and the Aura, do you think the Aura's screen and backlight is that much better? That's really the determining factor for me since I've read about 10 books the past 30 days and the eye strain I get from the led light on my sony prs-t1 is super annoying now.

Plus I'm terrified of Kobo's customer service, and two people have mentioned that their kindle touch and sony prs-650 were faster at page turns than their aura.
Do you have Sony PRS-T1 official light case? Take it out, turn 180 degree, put it back in; the light shines from bottom to top, not into your eyes.
david8866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:58 AM   #230
guitarizt
Connoisseur

I do have the official case. Thanks for the tip. I just tried it, but I think I prefer it shining on the top still, maybe just from habit. I have it shining on the top bezel so it's not in my eyes, but the problem is 1) the light hits the hardest where the led is hitting which causes me to have to strain my eyes when reading lots and 2) the led light dims a bit after about 10-15 hours and then I have to recharge the battery which is annoying to have to do every 2-3 days. It's nice having a less glaring light when it dims, but I read better and faster when it's at full strength.

I tried the paperwhite in store and it seemed so much easier on the eyes. Also it seems people get about 28 hours real world battery life where I think I only get about 15 hours with my T1 with wifi off and just reading normal epubs.

The nice thing about ditching the aura for the pw is that I can use the T1 for everything the kindle can't handle. I was going to force myself to sell the T1 if I got the aura but the pw is so much cheaper.
Advert
Old 05-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #231
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:

Funny, I have 2 on their way to me via FedEx & I don't even want them (orders were previously cancelled with Kobo, or so I thought)!!!

In my opinion, based on having the Kindle Paperwhite since the day it was released in the U.S., there is no comparison between the Aura & KPW screens & backlight. Aura wins those 2 categories hands down. I would also give Kobo/Aura the edge over KPW on page turns. Remember, the Aura does have a slightly faster processor than the KPW.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #232
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
The Aura backlight is much more neutral and is warmer than the PW. Also it turns off. I can't even see where the LEDs are placed! I wasn't aware that the t1 had a light. The last part is pure bull, the Aura turns pages faster than every other ereader on the market. It is so fast that if I blink I miss the flash for the full refresh.

That being said, don't wait just buy the PW. It is excellent and you'll be happy with it.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #233
SouLThinking
Enthusiast
SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!SouLThinking , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Nook Color
Ok, Glad I found this thread. Ordered 4/18. Received order email with number. Nothing at all after than until I emailed them on 4/29. I asked about what the delay was. I received an email stating that my order was processing. Low and behold 4/30 I was finally charged. Nothing since. I don't know if it has shipped since I still haven't gotten a tracking email. I tried the fed ex tracking with using the order number and destination a previous poster mentioned and that didn't work. So for me it's been 17 days! I am only happy I wasn't charged for the whole time and trying to think positive that maybe they shipped right after charging me. I am in Louisiana. I have been reading on a NOOK ST with GL for about 8 or so months. LOVE IT. Just want something a little bigger but still have the E-ink and Light function. Has anyone who has received theirs used the basic web browser?
SouLThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:39 AM   #234
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Glad I found this thread - I really want to order an AURA but given all the problems outlined in this thread, I think I am going to wait until Kobo has its' act together in the US.

Once they do, I will probably be ordering this ereader. I like a lot of the features, however, I don't want to deal with the hassle of receiving my ereader because of their inept processes.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #235
Pierre Menard
Zealot
Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pierre Menard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Glad I found this thread - I really want to order an AURA but given all the problems outlined in this thread, I think I am going to wait until Kobo has its' act together in the US.
It would not surprise me at all if after this "limited edition" release they put out an Aura 2.0 fixing things people complained about--like with a non-slick back. Waiting is probably a good strategy if you're happy with what you have now. I've heard totally opposite things about whether they're supposed to come to stores eventually, but the opportunity to buy one locally could be another benefit of waiting.

Otoh, it may be that the whole "limited" thing turns out to be completely true. And really, if you're willing to place an order with them online at some point, waiting to place the order is not so different from waiting for Kobo to notice that you've placed an order and decide maybe they ought to do something about it, eventually, when they get around to it.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #236
ewphoenix123
Addict
ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'ewphoenix123 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo: Glo, Aura , Aura H2O, Aura ONE, Forma, Elipsa
What I'm wondering is if there are no resellers in the US where you could order the Aura instead?
The Aura isn't even officially released in all of Europe but if you check here on Amazon you get it from 6-7 different resellers for a few bucks more.
ewphoenix123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #237
evanft
Zealot
evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.evanft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
What I'm wondering is if there are no resellers in the US where you could order the Aura instead?
The Aura isn't even officially released in all of Europe but if you check here on Amazon you get it from 6-7 different resellers for a few bucks more.
I wouldn't be surprised if you are going to be able to get one from a US seller in the near future. I would just be patient.
evanft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #238
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
For people who have used both a PW and the Aura, do you think the Aura's screen and backlight is that much better?
I have both, and they're pretty interchangeable for me. The text on the Aura is crisper. I see very little difference in the lighting. The light on my PW has always been very even. In terms of holding the devices, I find the Kindle easier to hold with its narrower profile. The larger screen size on the Aura is nice, but when I read on my PW I never feel the screen is significantly smaller than the Aura.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #239
Pierre Menard
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewphoenix123 View Post
If you buy something through a gray market seller like that, you can be looking at trouble if you ever have warranty issues. And there are no authorized sellers in the US at this time. Like I said above, I've heard both that the Aura definitely would not be in US bookstores, and also that they were "in negotiations." I think that probably just depends on whether the "limited edition" turns into a permanent offering.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:06 AM   #240
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
mia culpa

I made a big mistake in posting a message on this thread saying that my Aura was stuck in Customs, it was not.

I was tracking it with an app (Delivery Status 5.9.2). It followed the shipment using the Canada Post tracking number as far as the point where it left Canada. The app did not pick up that the kobo had been turned over to USPS. It occurred to me belatedly to copy the Canada Post tracking number and paste it into the USPS tracking tool on their site. When I did that it reported my kobo Aura was about to be delivered.

So, I ordered it April 25, it arrived in the US April 30 and was delivered May 5. That's a pretty fast for standard shipping.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote