Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-04-2023, 08:07 PM   #166
toty88
toty88 began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellaris View Post
It is unclear whether the problem occurred after an Onyx firmware update or after a KOReader update.

https://github.com/koreader/koreader/issues/10447

It happened to me some time ago and I don't remember why. In any case, if you use KOReader regularly, it's best to disable the navigation bar until someone fixes the problem. Or, more radically, change your reading program.
I opened a Issue over github and someone recommended downgrading to v2023.04 which eventually fixed the problem!

Until it gets patched Im staying in this version!
toty88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2023, 08:07 AM   #167
popej
Connoisseur
popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.popej has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: onyx boox leaf 2 black
Just have checked link to firmware, looks like this one haven't been reported here: 2023-05-05_17-28_3.3.2_6745dfaa5
popej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 05:22 PM   #168
denisuu
Zealot
denisuu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Onyx Leaf 2 (White)
This might be a stupid question but what apps do we install on the Leaf 2 arm or arm64?

Both seem to work, I don't really find an answer on what the right architecture is.
denisuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 07:38 PM   #169
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by denisuu View Post
This might be a stupid question but what apps do we install on the Leaf 2 arm or arm64?

Both seem to work, I don't really find an answer on what the right architecture is.
I believe the Leaf2 (like everything) is 64 and 32.
Some things are only 64.
Code:
ps -e|grep zygote
You should see two (or even three with webview).
Apps without libs should run on the default (64).
Apps with a choice of 64 libs should run on 64.
Apps with only 32 libs must run on 32.
The last case is fail on Pixel7? 8? because zygote32 is not enabled by default.
In short, run 64.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 03:51 AM   #170
denisuu
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renate View Post
Some things are only 64.
Code:
ps -e|grep zygote
In short, run 64.
I thought arm64 would be the right option, since most architectures are 64bit now. But I wasn't sure, KoReader was quite buggy, so I thought I might have selected the wrong version. But it's still buggy whatever version I choose lol
Old 11-29-2023, 03:57 AM   #171
denisuu
Zealot

Quote:
Some things are only 64.
Code:
ps -e|grep zygote
In short, run 64.
I thought arm64 would be the right option, since most architectures are 64bit now. But I wasn't sure, KoReader was quite buggy so I thought I might have selected the wrong version. But it's still buggy whatever version I choose lol
Old 12-30-2023, 10:55 AM   #172
baruch
baruch began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf2
With the last update, the rooting procedure doesn’t seem to work anymore:
Code:
$ python3 payload_dumper.py payload.bin 
Processing boot partition.Unsupported type = 9
Are there other tools to extract the payload's boot partition?
baruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 12:15 PM   #173
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baruch View Post
Are there other tools to extract the payload's boot partition?
Mmm, where did you get that payload dumper?
Mmm, where did you get that update.upx?
Was it the full update, like this?
Code:
Model:  Leaf2
Finger: Onyx/Leaf2/Leaf2:11/2023-11-16_18-56_3.5_801526b7d/6774:user/dev-keys
Link:   http://firmware-us-volc.boox.com/1abbb94538d06b643302326c4df225f0/update.upx
Size:   1,601,579,140
MD5:    1abbb94538d06b643302326c4df225f0
Old 12-31-2023, 10:53 AM   #174
baruch
baruch began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Leaf2
I got the payload dumper from the procedure denisuu posted. The update.upx was downloaded from the device showing a new update availlable. I guess it's not a full update. I was trying the last 2023-11-16_18-56_3.5_801526b7d but redoing it with the update.upx from your link worked. Thanx!!
I remember finding out how to have the correct link from an update name to the full update.upx link, but i totally forgot how. Can you remind me how?
baruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2023, 01:53 PM   #175
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by baruch View Post
Can you remind me how?
Code:
http://data.onyx-international.cn/api/firmware/update?where=%7B%22buildNumber%22:0,%22buildType%22:%22user%22,%22deviceMAC%22:%22%22,%22lang%22:%22en_US%22,%22model%22:%22Leaf2%22,%22submodel%22:%22%22,%22fingerprint%22:%22%22%7D
Old 04-14-2024, 11:53 AM   #176
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by popej View Post
I have found my "edl cable"
I can give it a try, but I have read, that headphone connection on USB-C could interfere. Does Leaf2 support headphones?
Just for those who have the same question, yes, the audio output works via USB-C to Jack 3.5 on the Leaf 2.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2024, 12:35 PM   #177
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
Just for those who have the same question, yes, the audio output works via USB-C to Jack 3.5 on the Leaf 2.
There are two types of headphone adapters:
  • Passive adapters - they are just wire, they rely on the device having a DAC, audio amplifier and multiplexors for the USB 2 data paths to use as audio wires.
  • Active adapters - they are USB audio devices and have everything built in.
In a previous world, you could tell the difference by the price, but nowadays both are under $10.
Old 04-14-2024, 06:24 PM   #178
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Exclamation

Quote:
In a previous world, you could tell the difference by the price, but nowadays both are under $10.
Also in a previous world "fully supports" meant everything. No-one seems to give real specs now.

USB-C. Manufacturer decides which applies and might not tell you:
  • Speed: can be USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 and USB 2.0. The USB-A end of USB 3.0 has 5 extra pins, but socket or plug is compatible with regular 4 pin type (USB 1.x to USB 2.x)
  • Charging: can be using a USB-A USB 2.0 cable to very fast charge (20W Qualcomm), or need USB C USB 3.0 (20W or more) or be 2.5W, 5W or 7.5W. Might be 5, 9, 12, 15, 20V depending on chosen system). 5V always works, but might be 0.5W or 2.5W if incompatible.
  • Audio: might have real analogue audio (Passive) or might need active USB ADC/DAC (both €6!)
  • Video: might support USB Alt C DP (Display port/HDMI just with dumb cable) or need USB video Card or impossible
  • Peer to Peer: this exists but rare. Like two tablets or two laptops with both USB-C and no OTG mode used.
  • OTG: may support charging when host, or not!

"Fully supports" seems to mean OTG works and the host can charge instead of delivering power. USB 2.0 goes up to 480 Mbps. Good luck getting that. The USB 3.0 on a laptop will support faster than that if the devices is faster (like 1000 Mbps full duplex ethernet).

How do you tell? Have a box of adaptors, cables, gadgets, interfaces and chargers and see what they do. Also something that worked on older Android or Windows or Mac USB might not work on a newer one because there is no driver support now.

This started before USB-C. Some OTG micro-USB supported host charging. OTG is supported on mini and micro USB. There is Micro-USB and USB-B with USB 3.0 via an extra wide or tall socket for the 5 extra wires, but works (slower) with regular USB 2.0 cables. Some USB HDDs use a USB-A double ended USB 3.0 cable.

A USB 3.x port has SS and/or blue plastic. The extra 5 pins are hard to see. Slower USB is white or black. USB 1.0 is really slow.

Some micro and mini USB support alt modes for the pins instead of +V, D+, D- and 0V. Can be passive adaptor to stereo headphone. There can be mic or composite video connection! Such things as GSM smart watches (no BT), Video / still cameras that can use the mini or micro USB for data transfer, Web cam or passive analogue A/V.

See also RJ45 connectors common for ethernet. Also used for microphones, RS232, analogue video and two in parallel for for HDMI extension cables. Also the ethernet can carry power.·

Last edited by Quoth; 04-14-2024 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Clarify
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 03:32 AM   #179
Renate
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Slower USB is white or black. USB 1.0 is really slow.
You'll hardly find any USB 1.0 except cheap corded keyboards or mice. There are many utilities for looking at what connection speed your USB device is using. Also, you'd be surprised how many "USB 2" devices are actually "full speed" (12 Mbps) instead of "high speed" (480 Mbps).

Somewhat related: I made a little jig to see what speed a USB 1/2 device was requesting. You take 5V from either a USB host or charger and feed it to the red and black of a socket. You connect a LED and 1k resistor from D+ to ground and the same again to D- and ground. Plug in a USB device to the socket. If the D+ LED lights up it's asking for FS/HS. If the D- LED lights up it's asking for LS (USB 1).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blinky.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	207594  
Old 04-17-2024, 02:10 AM   #180
readthinksurvive
Connoisseur
readthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmosreadthinksurvive has become one with the cosmos

Device: kindle oasis; kobo elipsa/libra; pocketbook 741; SNA4X
is the leaf/page repairable?
is this a good idea to get to replace kobo libra/kindle oasis combo
readthinksurvive is offline   Reply With Quote