Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-26-2023, 05:16 PM   #1
opaintner
opaintner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Lightbulb Is the PowerCase connector for Kobo Sage USB?

Hello all!

I just received a Kobo Sage for Christmas to replace my aging Kindle 4. I love tinkering with these things, and upon inspecting it for the first time I noticed four pads on the side of the device that were intended to be connected to the Kobo Power Case.

Due to the fact that there's four pads like USB, it leads me to believe that there is more than a simple charge circuit going on, and there might be a chance for some more advanced uses for that connector. It seems like there's potential to make a charging dock or something like that, which would be really cool!

Has anyone experimented with that connector to see if there's anything that can be done with it other then a connection to the PowerCase? Thanks a bunch!
opaintner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 08:24 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
It's a power connector with very limited data capability for the battery information. It does not work as an USB interface.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 12:30 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Check the bespoke driver in the Sage's sources (drivers/misc/ntx_cilix.c), that'll probably answer most of your questions.

Code:
cilix.c - driver for i2c through uart bridge
I would strongly advise *against* buying one, even for testing purposes, because I can't even really say that it's working as intended: it behaves... very, very, very badly; so the net effect is pretty insignificant; making it barely more useful than a very expensive cover .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 12-27-2023 at 12:34 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 07:54 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Very common for LiPo battery packs to have +, Clock, Data (for I2C) and -. Also on Canon battery packs and allows camera to see serial number.
Some Kindle internal packs are similar.
Larger packs also may have a connection to an onboard thermistor, especially laptop packs and some power tools.

I did wonder myself if it was USB, but thought it unlikely. Of course the similar 4 spots on some tablets are for USB, a keyboard dock.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 07:59 AM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I would strongly advise *against* buying one, even for testing purposes, because I can't even really say that it's working as intended: it behaves... very, very, very badly; so the net effect is pretty insignificant; making it barely more useful than a very expensive cover .
Both this and the Oasis are so poor and expensive you are better off with 5,000mAH to 12,000mAH generic power bank.
Curiously the Oasis one is allegedly poor too.
The power banks with a solar front panel seem useless (2 each of 2 models here), at least in Ireland. Maybe outdoors in Arizona? I have an A4 folding solar panel and even it would take days to charge a power bank.

EDIT:
Some USB power banks are marked with actual USB charging capacity. Most are sneaky and mark the when new LiPoly cell capacity. The delivered charge is less as the cell is 3.3V to 4.2V during use and is converted at 75% to 90% efficiency to 5V. You need one rated at at least 1.5A for the Sage. They are usually 1A, or 2.1A or maybe even both on two sockets.

Last edited by Quoth; 12-27-2023 at 08:04 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 01:36 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what it's worth, I was given a power cover for a Sage. I ended up re-gifting it and sticking with a 10,000mAH power bank and USB cable. The power cover is, if I remember correctly, 1200mAH so the power bank is able to recharge my Sage multiple times without requiring a recharge itself (not to mention being able to recharge my other devices).
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 03:27 PM   #7
opaintner
opaintner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Check the bespoke driver in the Sage's sources (drivers/misc/ntx_cilix.c), that'll probably answer most of your questions.

Code:
cilix.c - driver for i2c through uart bridge
Oh yeah, I've universally heard that they suck. Where would i go about finding this source? It's not included on the Kobo's filesystem anywhere, is it?
opaintner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 05:28 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
https://github.com/kobolabs/Kobo-Rea...d4f612d785fdcd

It's the full AW SDK, so there's also a bunch of bootloader and Android stuff.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, dock, kobo sage, powercase, usb