Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-27-2022, 01:27 AM   #181
Chitter
Luddite who works in IT.
Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Boox Tab Ultra C
@Renate, your tool worked like a charm! Thank you! I was able to grab an image off my NA2+ and patch it. However, for some reason I cannot get into the bootloader for my device. I can get into fastboot by using "adb reboot fastboot" or by using the recovery menu and selecting "Enter fastboot". But whenever I try to reboot to bootloader, it just hangs at the Onyx logo screen. If I try to run the next command in my terminal (fastboot boot magisk_patched.img) it says "< waiting for device >" and I have to restart the device to get it back.
Chitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:40 AM   #182
Chitter
Luddite who works in IT.
Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'Chitter can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

I meant to attach these screenshots in case they help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adb reboot fastboot.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	654.6 KB
ID:	196805   Click image for larger version

Name:	recovery mode.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	393.9 KB
ID:	196806  
Old 09-27-2022, 06:35 AM   #183
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook NST, Glow2, 3, 4, '21, Kobo Aura2, Poke3, Poke5
I'm not sure what you are saying. Regular fastboot doesn't show anything specific on the screen.
Is it that you can't connect from your desktop to any fastboot?
Do you have drivers loaded for it? Can you see if the USB is active? Does connecting/disconnecting make a "bong"?

You can flash a boot image from EDL if you like.
As in any write operation be very careful that you are writing the right thing to the right place.
Renate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:48 PM   #184
Chitter
Luddite who works in IT.

@Renate, thank you for the replies. I appreciate your time. Let me see if I can clarify below.

Regarding USB:
I can connect from my desktop when using the provided USB-C cable. I've tried both USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports. Both work the same for everything listed below. The USB drivers are working in Windows 11 and it "bongs" when connecting/disconnecting. I can browse the Note Air's file system from Windows Explorer as well send adb and edl commands via Command Prompt.

Initiating Fastboot:
I know you said the device screen doesn't usually show anything for fastboot, but on this device (the Note Air2 Plus on v3.3) as soon as I send "adb reboot fastboot" to my device from the Command Prompt it goes to that screen I provided a screenshot of above (the one that says "Android Fastboot" at the top).

From there, the next command I try to run is "fastboot reboot-bootloader". It seems to work, but it brings me to an Onyx logo screen on my device and just sits there. If I try to run the next command "fastboot boot <imagename>.img" I get the message "< waiting for device >" in the Command Prompt. This seems to indicate that the device is frozen. The only way for me to recover is shutdown and restart the device.

As I mentioned before, there is a menu item to "Reboot to bootloader" on the Android Fastboot screen that shows up on my device, but this does the same thing. It freezes at Onyx logo screen. So my problem seems to be accessing bootloader mode.

Using EDL to flash:
EDL seems to work, so maybe this is an option, but I don't really know what I'm doing here and will probably avoid it unless I have more instructions. Don't want an expensive brick.

If this doesn't really help, no problem. At least I tried.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:23 PM   #185
Renate
Wizard
Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are two different fastboots. They might be using different USB VID/PIDs.
That means that you might have to load Windows drivers two different times.
Code:
$ adb reboot fastboot
gets you the user mode fastboot that says "fastbootd" at the top.
Code:
$ adb reboot bootloader
gets you the boring, normal fastboot without any fancy screen.

That's the one that you are probably missing drivers for.
Go to Device Manager and look for something with an exclamation mark and without a driver.
You can also use UsbView.exe to see what you have when you go to the real bootloader.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:19 PM   #186
Chitter
Luddite who works in IT.

@Renate, your post helped me see that there was another "Android" device showing up when I entered bootloader mode. The Android device already had a driver assigned to it, but the bootloader would not respond to commands. My Boox didn't like any of the drivers Zadig provided, but I finally found another one online that worked. I'm rooted! Now I'll create a tutorial in case anyone else is in my same situation and stuck. Thank you for the responses, they helped me get here.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:16 PM   #187
Cascade94
Cascade94 can eat soup with a fork.Cascade94 can eat soup with a fork.Cascade94 can eat soup with a fork.Cascade94 can eat soup with a fork.Cascade94 can eat soup with a fork.Cascade94 can eat soup with a fork.Cascade94 can eat soup with a fork.Cascade94 can eat soup with a fork.Cascade94 can eat soup with a fork.Cascade94 can eat soup with a fork.Cascade94 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Note Air 2
Latest patched boot image for 3.3.3:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eH6...usp=share_link
Cascade94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2023, 05:54 PM   #188
Renate
Wizard

I took a re-read through this thread. I'm still in pursuit of a Firehose loader for the Poke5 and probably some other ones for which we don't have loaders. What a long strange saga this has been.

If you do use my edl.exe you should really download a new version. Since my work on it started in this thread there have been a lot of improvements, both functional and cosmetic. You can see the update date at the bottom of the web page.