Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-09-2020, 10:41 AM   #1
seajay1221
just a guy
seajay1221 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Lightbulb Can Kobo automatically 'connect to computer' ?

Title, basically.

When connecting the Kobo to a computer via USB it asks if you'd like to 'connect to computer' and allow the Kobo's drive to be mounted on the computer. I'd love to bypass that and have it always say yes. Is there a tweak or firmware mod that allows for this? It's one of the few things about the Kindle OS that I preferred.
seajay1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 10:57 AM   #2
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Yes, there's a patch that will do that, one of the patches I wouldn't be without.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:20 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think it's a bad idea to apply the patch because you don't have the choice not to connect. Some chargers seem like the Kobo is connecting to a computer and you then cannot use any of these chargers to be able to read while you charge.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:15 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think it's a bad idea to apply the patch because you don't have the choice not to connect. Some chargers seem like the Kobo is connecting to a computer and you then cannot use any of these chargers to be able to read while you charge.
When I connect to a plugin wall charger, it's never once not let me also read (if I want, but I'll admit I never read while it's charging, it's just not convenient to try and hold with a limited length cord). It just shows the battery charging icon in the upper right with full access to the reader. I've used numerous wall chargers and never had it think it was connected to a computer.

So I've never run into that problem at all. When I connect to the computer, I'll never want to also read, so it was just a nuisance step to have to confirm I want to connect. And I was used to the Sony's instant connect to the PC without a nagging confirmation.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:00 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
For what it's worth, I've used that patch but have disabled it. My new pair of loveseats' USB charging ports are configured so they look like a computer making hard to read while charging. Also annoying since my iPhone had to be be unlocked to allow it to connect and charge. Sadly, the XYL won't let me dismantle the panel to see if they can be rewired.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:11 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've not tried it but NickelMenu does support a toggle for auto_usb_gadget that enables / disables automatic usb mass storage connection. Using that might provide the best of both worlds; the ability to autoconnect and the easy ability to disable the connection if required.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 01:16 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Nickel should indeed be smart enough not to switch to USBMS if the device is connected to a plain power charger (as opposed to when the device is connected to a USB host).

I should know, I replicated that distinction myself here .

----

And, as @PeterT mentioned, the behavior requested by the OP is available as a hidden Nickel setting, one that can be toggled via NickelMenu (which is a good thing, because I don't remember the name of the config key right now ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 02:21 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Isn't there also a setting in the config file?

Also you'd want a dedicated charger cable that has D+ and D- cut and tied with resistors to allow more than 100mA as some have already pointed out there are stupid chargers that pretend to be hosts.
Also useful for ANY phone or Tablet in a public charge point as malicious ones do exist.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:07 PM   #9
harmtemolder
Enthusiast
harmtemolder began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Isn't there also a setting in the config file?
There is:

[DeveloperSettings]
AutoUsbGadget=True

(See Kobo Configuration Options )
harmtemolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 04:31 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I've not tried it but NickelMenu does support a toggle for auto_usb_gadget that enables / disables automatic usb mass storage connection. Using that might provide the best of both worlds; the ability to autoconnect and the easy ability to disable the connection if required.
Well spotted. I do think that's the best way to do it instead of an all of nothing patch.
Old 10-10-2020, 01:08 PM   #11
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmtemolder View Post
There is:

[DeveloperSettings]
AutoUsbGadget=True

(See Kobo Configuration Options )
A good thing to add just before the touch screen dies.

But you seriously need a charging only cable to complement that setting.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 10:49 AM   #12
seajay1221
just a guy
seajay1221 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Awesome, thanks everyone! I went with the DeveloperSettings option in the config.
seajay1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 11:42 AM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I've just added the option to my NickelMenu setup (and as someone who doesn't apply any patches or 3rd party add-ons) that must say something
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 12:11 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay1221 View Post
Awesome, thanks everyone! I went with the DeveloperSettings option in the config.
You would be best to go with the NickelMenu solution as you can have an option to toggle this on or off.

Tags
computer, connect, kobo, mount, usb